2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
Jun 19, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #136 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Howard could have affected the outcome of the game if he didn't miss two freethrows,or use their last timeout
rolleyes.gif
.Gary.

Yes, sure. Still, I watch a lot of NBA games. Are you saying another player would get the type of call Wade got at the end of that game? Nobody gets those calls at the end of quarters and especially at the end of a regulation or OT. The refs put their whistles away unless it is blatant. That was not blatant, it's questionable whether that was even a foul. The reason, they say, is because the officials do not want to decide the outcome of the game at the end. They like to let the players decide.

I understand the argument, if it's a foul at the beginning of the game, then it's also a foul at the end. But typically, the rule is not enforced that way. I guess that's what I'm upset about, the consistency to which they enforce the rules. We could go on and on...

I'm just saying Wade was at the basket and there was barely any contact. It is very unusual for the referee to blow a whistle in that situation.

BTW, Wade took and made as many free throws as the entire Mavericks team (21-25). I mean, he plays aggressive, but wow.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #137 of 158
Quote:

Yes, sure. Still, I watch a lot of NBA games. Are you saying another player would get the type of call Wade got at the end of that game? Nobody gets those calls at the end of quarters and especially at the end of a regulation or OT. The refs put their whistles away unless it is blatant. That was not blatant, it's questionable whether that was even a foul. The reason, they say, is because the officials do not want to decide the outcome of the game at the end. They like to let the players decide.

I understand the argument, if it's a foul at the beginning of the game, then it's also a foul at the end. But typically, the rule is not enforced that way. I guess that's what I'm upset about, the consistency to which they enforce the rules. We could go on and on...

I'm just saying Wade was at the basket and there was barely any contact. It is very unusual for the referee to blow a whistle in that situation.

BTW, Wade took and made as many free throws as the entire Mavericks team (21-25). I mean, he plays aggressive, but wow.

I agree with you completely. This is getting to be very bad.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #138 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Oh, and genius defensive coaching strategy in the 4th by Avery. Are you kidding me?! Run a secondary defender at Wade to help Harris. Get Wade to give up the ball. He was doing anything he wanted to during a stretch there, one on one against Harris at the beginning of the shot clock. He was the only one scoring for the Heat, didn't you notice that? This is the Finals! Make someone else beat you!

At least get Wade to pass it, he'll probably get it back, but at least you would burn time off the shot clock or make it more difficult. Deny him the ball. Do something!

I agree, why stop double-teaming him at the most crucial time of the game? It was obviously working earlier and forcing him to give up the ball and even turn it over at least once.

Wade should just drive on every touch at this rate. He'll at least get the entire Mavs team to foul out.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #139 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat

Wow is right, maybe the NBA just wants the series to go 7 games. The whole last ten seconds was ridiculous. 1) The inbounds pass was an over and back 2) They call a fall for a guy who's going one on three, driving wildly with no intention of passing. I've seen muggings at the end of games that weren't called; I don't even think that was a foul in any situation. 3) Know the game situation ref! We'll never know if Josh Howard actually called the timeout or not since there are two conflicting stories but a good ref should take into consideration the game situation unless it's so blatant that you can't help but call it.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #140 of 158
This is "standard" NBA officiating gentlemen. Its BAD and un-fair to the visiting team... But as a team you have to know how to play that element of the game.

Thats why I said earlier that Dallas HAS to drive to the paint and play aggressive in order to win. Try and draw those fouls. The officials have ALWAYS favored the home teams and the home team star player in those situations.

Dallas has the wrong attiutde if they thing they can just stand back and shoot jumpers all day.... and the bad NBA officiating is all a part of that.

Its not uncommon for a star player to get 20- some-odd freethrows in a critical game. Jordan, malone, bird... they all make playoff careers, shooting freethrows because those guys knew how to play the refs and draw (bad) foul calls.

it bites.... but thats how the game has always been played.

things will change when they go back to Dallas. DIRK, TERRY however MUST DRIVE... even force it and draw fouls if they have too. If they settle for jumpers its all over.

I do give some credit to Miami. They are swarming Dirk and taking him out of rhythm. He has to learn to kick it back out to the open players who remain unguarded when they double Dirk. Similar to how miami is using Shaq to draw the doubleteams and free up cutters and shooters.

They seem to be using Shaq a lot to double dirk and to jump out at the guards. Eric Dampier has been weak, and IMHO has had no presence without the ball. The minute Shak doubles Damp should make a cut to the hoop and look for the ball. IMHO they should run more pick-rolls with terry/Dirk and Dampier. Pick/roll with terry and dirk... Draw Shaq out of the paint when he tries to help out, have Dampier cut to the hoop and get the ball too him foir a layup.

3-2... back to "D".

Garrett

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #141 of 158
well that sucked. amazing wade missed both of his last free throws. but no matter. heat are the new champs. yeah...

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #143 of 158
LOL did anyone hear the commissioner's voice crack while announcing the MVP?

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #144 of 158
I couldn't believe that my prediction was right, but I rather see the Marvs won. Anyway, Miami definitely play a much better defense, plus, Avery Johnson went with Jason Terry instead of Dirk - what a mistake!

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #145 of 158
Miami is the better team, even on paper. Too much Shaq / Zoe inside. No one slowed D-wade. Miami role players stepped up. Dallas = way too many 3's and nothing going in the paint. Dallas had no chance.

congrats Heat Fans!!

Mavs fans... keep your chin up, mavs have a great future.

Could be a lot worse... You could be a golden state warriors fan.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #146 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Miami is the better team, even on paper. Too much Shaq / Zoe inside. No one slowed D-wade. Miami role players stepped up. Dallas = way too many 3's and nothing going in the paint. Dallas had no chance.

Games 3 + 5 had the most heinous officiating seen in an NBA finals. Sure fixing games is impossible, but the refs sure as hell gave the Heat the boost they needed to stay competitive. Dallas is still the superior team (where's Miami bench besides Mourning?), but I think apart from Terry & Stackhouse, Nowitzki & Howard never brought their A game. Refer to Bill Simmon's Page 2: even MJ never shot so many FTs!

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #147 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I couldn't believe that my prediction was right, but I rather see the Marvs won. Anyway, Miami definitely play a much better defense, plus, Avery Johnson went with Jason Terry instead of Dirk - what a mistake!

Of course Miami would doubleteam Dirk in this situation, as they have throughout the series. At any rate, they had no timeouts left and couldn't set anything up.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #148 of 158
Quote:

Of course Miami would doubleteam Dirk in this situation, as they have throughout the series. At any rate, they had no timeouts left and couldn't set anything up.

Ture...but how many shots did Dirk took in the forth quarter? He is the best player in the team, but he barely got the ball. Jason Terry took more shots than him. I also want to blame Dirk to not bouce back and play his A game. He has also been sub-par in the finals. Of course, almost 20 foul shots took by Wade was also ridiculous. I'm very dissappointed at this year Final.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #149 of 158
Full credit to Miami's defensive efforts, but I wish Dirk had tried harder in these past few games to carry Dallas. He's the one with the "unblockable" shot here. Well...I hope the Mavs come up with the money to sign Jason Terry, because they could very well have something special going next season too.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #150 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayso78
Games 3 + 5 had the most heinous officiating seen in an NBA finals. Sure fixing games is impossible, but the refs sure as hell gave the Heat the boost they needed to stay competitive. Dallas is still the superior team (where's Miami bench besides Mourning?), but I think apart from Terry & Stackhouse, Nowitzki & Howard never brought their A game. Refer to Bill Simmon's Page 2: even MJ never shot so many FTs!

Maybe I was a little harsh there...
But basically champs of the past 10 years have always established offense/defense in the paint.

duncan/robinson, Shaq-LA, Robinsons in detroit. going back further Olajuwon, parish and Jabar.

Dallas has nothing in the paint. Dampier had a decent series, but no way can he offset Shaq and mourning.

Forget Dirk, forget terry.. Outside shooting NEVER wins championships, when its your primary weapon.

On paper Miami is the better team in the paint... thats all that has mattered in recent finals history.

I see no need to discuss this till next season

Users who are viewing this thread

Back