2006 MLB Playoffs Thread
Oct 6, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #61 of 120
Woo!

I was suprised that Floyd's hit didn't go out of the park, it seemed so close. Stupid wind.
tongue.gif

Glavine looked like he could have gone 8 or 9 to me, I'm less worried about the pitching now. And how about the ageless Julio Franco beating out a routine double play at first?
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #62 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Woo!

I was suprised that Floyd's hit didn't go out of the park, it seemed so close. Stupid wind.
tongue.gif

Glavine looked like he could have gone 8 or 9 to me, I'm less worried about the pitching now. And how about the ageless Julio Franco beating out a routine double play at first?
biggrin.gif

Shhhh, Franco is a secret weapon.

I'm glad Reyes got that single -- he needed to get over his jitters. Beltran is the only bat that still has to heat up, but he seems to do better on the road, anyway.....

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #63 of 120
Down go the twinkies! And there goes my world series pick too!

Oh well, should have taken my own advice and followed the pitching... which the A's have an abundance of. A's goin all the way! (now they're goin to lose in the ALCS cause I said that)
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #64 of 120
The Yankees suffered a huge loss today. We'll see if they even make it out of the ALDS. Wright on the mound and Wang didn't even take the trip to Detroit.

I don't dislike the Yankees, but it was nice to see Rogers completely dominate them today. He had a huge monkey on his back. It's shook off by now.

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #65 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
The Yankees suffered a huge loss today. We'll see if they even make it out of the ALDS. Wright on the mound and Wang didn't even take the trip to Detroit.

I don't dislike the Yankees, but it was nice to see Rogers completely dominate them today. He had a huge monkey on his back. It's shook off by now.

I watched the whole game last night, and it was great. I would have loved to have been at Comerica Park last night. There was an electricity in the air that I could feel all the way into my living room.

Rogers really did pitch a great game...I've not seen him pitch like that, I don't think, ever.

Today is a big day for sports here in Michigan. The Michigan-Michigan State game is in Ann Arbor (GO BLUE!!), and game 4 of the ALDS is in Detroit. It's gonna be fun watching TV tonight!!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Tigers have Jeremy Bonderman going tonight, and I'm not sure what's going to come of it. They have a good chance of winning the game, as Bonderman can dominate when he is on. That said, he's gone Nuke LaLooshe on us quite a bit lately. Seems like he is prone to one bad inning and a lapse in concentration. I'll be very interested to see how he pitches after watching that performance last night by Rogers. It will also be VERY interesting to see how the loaded Yankees respond to getting spanked by a pitcher for whom, if you listen to A-Rod (or shall we call him K-Rod?
very_evil_smiley.gif
), they didn't have much respect...well, not before last night anyway.

I spend 40+ games sitting in the bleachers in 1984, the year the Tigers won the World Series. It was my first summer away from home as a college student in Ann Arbor, and it was a great time to be a baseball fan. I lost interest in baseball after the strike, thinking the players and owners a bunch of greedy primadonnas. This year, for the first time in a long time, I'm watching baseball regularly again. Regardless of what happens from here on out, it's been a great year for the Tigers and a great year for baseball. What a story...three years ago one of the worst teams in HISTORY, and now perhaps on the verge of knocking off the highly favored Yankees.

Oh, and call it Karma, but George Steinbrenner is an Ohio State grad.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh geez, how could I forget...ESPN was good enough to have the Grand Old Man of radio, Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell, sit in for a couple of innings. I got chills when I heard him say, as Jason Giambi struck out, "he stood there like the house on the side of the road and watched it go by". I can remember hearing him say that SOOO many times as a child, huddled up late at night, long after my parents had put me to bed, listening to the game on a portable AM radio with one of those funny white earphones. What memories that brought back.

Oh, and he told a story about how he and Leo Durochure got into a scrap years and years ago when Leo got in his face on a train over some or other stupid thing. I gather Leo had a reputation for being a bit pugnacious. Well, apparently Ernie wiped up the floor with him...which, knowing what I know of the man (southern gentleman extraordinare) is hysterically out of character.

Thank you ESPN for letting Ernie sit in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #67 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita

I hate that guy! Not only did he make walk in the winning run to take the mets out of the postseason the day after one of the greatest baseball moments of all time, but he went insane and assaulted a cameraman a few years later. I hope the monkey on his back eats him, because if the NY teams don't kill him some mets fan will.

Just one more win to advance! I hope Trachsel pitches well with all that rest.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #69 of 120
$200 Million doesn't buy a championship anymore, not in soccer, not in baseball.

A-Rod has been exposed for the stat-padding fraud that he is. Hopefully most of America will now not put this guy on the same level as Pujols, Manny, Ortiz, and Guerrero (though Vlady has been garbage in the playoffs himself).

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #72 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
I hate that guy! Not only did he make walk in the winning run to take the mets out of the postseason the day after one of the greatest baseball moments of all time, but he went insane and assaulted a cameraman a few years later. I hope the monkey on his back eats him, because if the NY teams don't kill him some mets fan will.

Just one more win to advance! I hope Trachsel pitches well with all that rest.

I remember that game! Yeah. If the Mets weren't doing as well as they are now, I'd feel the same way. In fact, I feel pretty pissed at him now that they've advanced.

I put the past in the past by now, I guess.

Let's go METS!

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #74 of 120
Yankees need to develop more talent instead of trading it away. Wang and Cano have worked out pretty well for the Yanks. Here's some of the young players the Yanks have gotten rid of lately:

Alfonso Soriano
Jake Westbrook
Ted Lilly
Marcus Thames
Juan Rivera
Nick Johnson
Jose Contreras
Yhency Brazoban
Juaquin Arias

And Joe Torre is overrated as a manager.

Oct 8, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer
And Joe Torre is overrated as a manager.

Are you crazy? It must be so ridiculously hard to hold that kind of clubhouse together for all those years, and overcome all those injuries they had with basically no pitching whatsoever. He's one of the greatest managers of all time IMO.

My deal with Kenny Rogers is more about him attacking an innocent member of the press than the walk, which is why even now I still can't look at him in a good light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back