2006 MLB Playoffs Thread
Oct 1, 2006 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Yay Dodgers. If the Padres hang on and win today, it's Dodgers versus the Mets with the Dodgers playing as the wild card. I'm happy. How are your teams doing?

edit: oh yeah, plus the Dodgers just swept the Giants. Which is always fun. Giants playing kind of flat this past weekend though. Kind of hate to see the Alous go out like that.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 120
Think Blue!
go Dodgers!
(i say dodgers and yanks at the world series)
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 120
I honestly think the Mets blow all of the other nl teams out of the water, and I don't just say that as a fan. The Dodgers are too streaky and they kill Penny, the Padres are meh, and any team that relies on Braden Looper to do anything for them is going nowhere, even with Pujols.
tongue.gif

In the AL I think it's going to be either the Twins or the Yankees, as much as I like Detroit I don't think they can beat the Yanks at this point. The Twins scare me alot more than the Yankees in the series, and a subway series rematch would be awesome (this time we're good!).
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 120
If memory serves me correct it will be STL @ LA and SD @ NYM, since the Padres got the WildCard

I think STL beats LA in 5, though I am a Dodgers fan, and the Padres kill NYM in three. Then STL beats SD somehow, to give us a NYY, STL World Series, with the Yankees sadly bringing home a WS ring

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 120
division series predictions:

LAD/NYM -- LAD in 4
STL/SD -- SD in 5

DET/NYY -- DET in 5
OAK/MIN -- MIN in 4

if anything else, as long as the Yankees dont win the World Series, i'm happy.
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 120
Lets go, Oakland!!! *clap-clap-clapclapclap!*

Zito and Thomas have had an amazing season thus far. Hopefully we win the whole thing! Whoooo!
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 120
dammit. my phillies. NEXT YEAR FOR SURE! if my kid wants to grow up a new yorker fan, i'm going to guide him to the yanks - 'cause in the NL this house is going to be Philly all the way!

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
dammit. my phillies. NEXT YEAR FOR SURE! if my kid wants to grow up a new yorker fan, i'm going to guide him to the yanks - 'cause in the NL this house is going to be Philly all the way!

Not the Yankees!

There's always the Knicks...
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
DET/NYY -- DET in 5

Man, I sure hope so...but the way the Tigers limped through the finish, I'm not hopeful!!

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 120
I can't wait for the playoffs. I follow the AL very closely. Don't know much about the NL. The TIGERS were the best team in all of baseball for the first half. In the second half, they were one of the worst. In their final series. they got swept by the Royals, an awful team. Their pitchers have been very inconsistent. And Bonderman who was an all-star in the first half was just the opposite in the second. I don't see them getting past the first round. They face the YANKEES, who boast one of the grestest offenses of all time (Damon, Jeter, Arod, Abreu, Sheffield, Matsui, Giambi, Cano). Even without Unit, I see them beating Detroit and advancing to the next round. Although after that, it would nice to have the big man back and really increase their chances to win the whole thing. The TWINS at one point looked unbeatable when they had both Santana and Liriano. But now the latter is lost and Radke, their other best starter, is questionable. Now, after Santana, the pitching is average at best. The bullpen lead by Nathan is still amazing, and Mauer, Morneau, and Hunter are formidable hitters, but the starters are not good enough in my opinion to take this team very far. The A's are very similar to the Twins. They have a one great starter (Zito) and then some guys who could throw well (Harden, Blanton, Loiza), but who are also questionable. The offense with Thomas, Bradley and others is solid but not spectacular. Like the Twins, they have a great bullpen. I think Min will edge out the A's in this series.

So here are my picks for the AL:

Yankees over Tigers (3-1)
Twins over A's (3-2)

Yankees over Twins (4-2)

Yankees beat NL (4-1)

Also, the Mets are going nowhere without Pedro.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
Also, the Mets are going nowhere without Pedro.

I admit that the Mets got to where they are without Pedro all season, so it shouldn't be a stretch to not worry in the playoffs - they have El Duque and Glavine for playoff-tested arms, anyhoo.

Just like how the Phils did just fine without Lidle and Abreu - they shoulda dumped em earlier so the Phils could build earlier momentum to make the playoffs
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back