$2000 Amp/DAC for K701s
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701s do need to be re-cabled, but balanced won't do anything useful for them. Just get dual leads and stay with 1/4" plug and consider the Woo Audio WA6 with an upgraded rectifier tube. This is a fantastic combination.

Dave

I cannot totally agree with the above. I do agree that the biggest improvement to the 701's is a dual entry recable. However, I can certainly hear a difference on my system using the recabled 701's in balanced compared to SE mode (I have a balanced to SE adaptor of the exact same cable). The 701's remind me of the K340's (but not sonically) in that they respond very positively to increased power to the drivers.

BTW I can heartily recommend the ALO recable, very good aesthetics and superb sound. Mine are using the older 22ga Jena not the newer 18ga Jena.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 22
Opt 2)

Balanced is the way of the future! Get on board now (I wish I had). I think it's a very smart approach even if some doubt its usefulness with the 701s (though isn't that always the case with head-fi these days). I would also sway you against the 701/yammy pairing. There are successful non-AT headphone/yammy pairings but they are highly based on the individual where as the synergy between AT phones and the yammy is pretty much self-evident.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #18 of 22
Hmm, for some reason I thought you could get the Max DAC for the Balanced Desktop, but you can only get the home.

Max>Home

So the regular Desktop will have the better module AND DAC compared to the balanced...still worth going balanced, even if I get my headphones recabled whichever route I go?

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 22
I can't decided that for you but if it was my money and I wanted a nice desktop balanced solution, even considering the Home DAC, I would still put my money where my month is. One reason I sway that way is because the majority of my files are lower rate MP3s or internet radio, thus, in my view, much of the value of the Max DAC is lost. I'll save the best for my main rig. You may feel differently.

I think going balanced future proofs you rig to a major degree. Not that their aren't great single ended designs flowing around. Yammy being probaby the best sub1k option and the zana at the other end.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 22
How about a benchmark dac1 (has a ss amp too), and a maxed woo wa6? The dac1 is probably the best purchase in my system, it does so many things, and is so detailed and clean. I think sterile is good for a dac, and then the woo, I had a wa6 stock which I loved with the gs-1000. I had the 701's before the gs-1000 and sold the 701's because I thought the gs-1000's did what I liked about the 701's, better. So I bet the 701's would sound great with the wa6, but I am sure SOMEONE could confirm or deny that.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 22
I would go with the balanced setup. If you're using primarily USB your biggest improvment in sq won't be from the amp or the DAC but from the balanced drive. That seems like the best setup.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 22
It's almost time to throw down the money for the amp/dac, so some more questions...

I see people mentioning the WA6, but what about the WA2 and WA4? I'm assuming, of course, that they are better than the 6. Will they offer more power than the 6? And also, is getting all the upgrades when buying on the site considered maxing it out? Has anybody had any experience with them?

Tubes have been tempting me quite a bit. I'm leaning towards maxed out headroom desktop...but kind of hope I can be swayed away from it in a way. It is my safety at the moment, and if I can get something better than it, (although it is rather hard to judge), then I'll do that.

Maybe get the headroom, and if I feel like i can get something better, then return it within 30 days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back