$2000 Amp/DAC for K701s
Apr 8, 2008 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

xFih2

Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp and DAC for my AKG K701s. I was originally going to go with the HeadRoom Ultra Micro stack with Astrodyne power supplies. After having the Ultra Micro Amp for a few weeks, I sent it back before the 30 day return policy was up because I didn't see much of an improvement and got somewhat scared, and heard that there are better options. Also, I didn't like using the 1/8" plug and headphone jack - seemed like if it got pushed it'd mess the internals up (the sound changed when I moved the plug a little bit). Right now I'm thinking of two different options:

1) HeadRoom Desktop w/ Max Module + Max DAC + DPS (HeadRoom power supply) = $1887

2) HeadRoom Balanced Dektop w/ Home Module + Home DAC + DPS + getting my K701s balanced = $2097.

Boomana has suggested a few sub $1000 amps to me = Yamamoto HA-2, SinglePower Extreme, Heed Canamp, and the Darkvoice 336i. I could tack on a DAC them (Ultra Micro DAC?) I'm thinking.

My budget (Ah god, thanks head-fi...I was originally only going to spend $500 at most on an amp) is around $2000. I'm going to be running it from my computer via USB cord.

I'm also thinking of getting a Grado RS-1 in the future to compliment my K701s, but that isn't important to me at the moment.

So $2000 budget. Amp and DAC. Go balanced? Go tubes? HeadRoom seems like a reputable company so those are my primary choices, and it seems hard to gather information on other companies, and the number of total amps seem overwhelming. Balanced seems interesting to me and might be leaning towards that (especially since going balanced would include a better quality cord along with the balanced aspect). Also, if I choose the Balanced Desktop I can still use normal 1/4" plugs. Tubes seem weird to me for some reason, probably because I don't know much about them, and buying/playing around with different tubes seems too much to handle as a somewhat beginner. I have heard the K701s work well with them, though.

Thanks for the help. I tried searching, and didn't see anything particularly specific to my needs and budget. I'm a college student, so I don't want to spend money upgrading to another one after this, and want it to be my amp for years to come, so it's quite important to me.

P.S. If it matters, I listen to rock (the whole spectrum - slow to metal) and hip hop, with mixes of other types of music. No jazz, country, classical, blues, etc.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 22
I'm doing option 2), except for the DAC. I figure for $1350 I can't really get a bigger improvement in SQ. I've read that the k701s improve dramatically when balanced, and my curiosity has got the better of me yet again.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doing option 2), except for the DAC. I figure for $1350 I can't really get a bigger improvement in SQ. I've read that the k701s improve dramatically when balanced, and my curiosity has got the better of me yet again.

When do you think you're planning on doing this? If it's anytime soon make sure to post your impressions on it to let me know
smily_headphones1.gif
A DAC is a must for me though, I'm not wanting my soundcard/internal amp/poor quality line out to be amplified from my laptop. I saw that through my Ultra Micro (and now listening to my Total AirHead, I guess the difference in SQ was actually bigger than I thought, but still not that big) and was expecting a bigger upgrade after my AirHead than what I actually got.

EDIT: Okay, I'm listening to my Total AirHead, and there was a bigger SQ increase than I thought. I think I'm having withdrawals right now from sending my amp back
frown.gif
It's rather hard to stand lower quality once you move up...

One month is going to go by so slowly...

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

When do you think you're planning on doing this? If it's anytime soon make sure to post your impressions on it to let me know.

I'm sending the headphones in probably tomorrow, and I'm going to order the amp probably early next week. So let's say in 2.5 to 3 weeks I'll have everything.

Quote:

A DAC is a must for me though...

I have the PSAudio DLIII, which, happily, has balanced outputs. I will probably not purchase an XLR interconnect for a few weeks, however. I am no expert on DACs, but I am glad I purchased that component first and have acquainted myself with what exactly it did to the sound.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomana has suggested a few sub $1000 amps to me = Yamamoto HA-2, SinglePower Extreme, Heed Canamp, and the Darkvoice 336i. I could tack on a DAC them (Ultra Micro DAC?) I'm thinking.

You can add GS-1 to the list, and Stello DA100 for a DAC, there is also new DA100 Signature model with I2S input and balanced out, or may be even shell out a tad more for DA220MkII. Usually separate DAC, amp is a better option, unless you absolutely must have just one box.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can add GS-1 to the list, and Stello DA100 for a DAC, there is also new DA100 Signature model with I2S input and balanced out, or may be even shell out a tad more for DA220MkII. Usually separate DAC, amp is a better option, unless you absolutely must have just one box.

I actually saw the the GS-1, considering that, too. Have you had any experience with it (especially with K701s)? Also, what advantages are there to having the DAC and amp separated other than having the ability to replace each one later on?

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Also, what advantages are there to having the DAC and amp separated other than having the ability to replace each one later on?

I think that's the main advantage. If they're separate, then when you want to upgrade you can sell off the old component.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 22
With your budget, I'd definitely consider going balanced, though you'd need to get your K701s recabled, which would add more cost. The HeadRoom balanced desktop is really very nice with the K701s, and I preferred it to the SE version. For SE you could get a SP Extreme Platinum for that budget and a separate dac. Though I'm not knowledgeable about different dacs, I do know that the Extreme P sounds wonderful with the 701s, giving them some body and weight without sacrificing the sense of air and space, and it would also work well with any other cans (not all amps that do well with the 701s do well with others) you might be interested in down the line.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp and DAC for my AKG K701s. I was originally going to go with the HeadRoom Ultra Micro stack with Astrodyne power supplies. After having the Ultra Micro Amp for a few weeks, I sent it back before the 30 day return policy was up because I didn't see much of an improvement and got somewhat scared, and heard that there are better options. Also, I didn't like using the 1/8" plug and headphone jack - seemed like if it got pushed it'd mess the internals up (the sound changed when I moved the plug a little bit). Right now I'm thinking of two different options:

1) HeadRoom Desktop w/ Max Module + Max DAC + DPS (HeadRoom power supply) = $1887

2) HeadRoom Balanced Dektop w/ Home Module + Max DAC + DPS + getting my K701s balanced = $2097.

My budget (Ah god, thanks head-fi...I was originally only going to spend $500 at most on an amp) is around $2000. I'm going to be running it from my computer via USB cord.

I'm also thinking of getting a Grado RS-1 in the future to compliment my K701s, but that isn't important to me at the moment.

So $2000 budget. Amp and DAC. Go balanced? Go tubes? HeadRoom seems like a reputable company so those are my primary choices, and it seems hard to gather information on other companies, and the number of total amps seem overwhelming. Balanced seems interesting to me and might be leaning towards that (especially since going balanced would include a better quality cord along with the balanced aspect). Also, if I choose the Balanced Desktop I can still use normal 1/4" plugs. Tubes seem weird to me for some reason, probably because I don't know much about them, and buying/playing around with different tubes seems too much to handle as a somewhat beginner. I have heard the K701s work well with them, though.

Thanks for the help. I tried searching, and didn't see anything particularly specific to my needs and budget. I'm a college student, so I don't want to spend money upgrading to another one after this, and want it to be my amp for years to come, so it's quite important to me.

P.S. If it matters, I listen to rock (the whole spectrum - slow to metal) and hip hop, with mixes of other types of music. No jazz, country, classical, blues, etc.

Just a suggestion but you may want to read up on the Eddie Current Zana Deux. This amp will eat up your budget leaving you to save for a dac but if its as good as people say, its worth consideration. Look up Uncle Erik, he has one and can tell you about about it if he hasn't already in the forums.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 22
WOW it is gona be something.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For SE you could get a SP Extreme Platinum for that budget and a separate dac. Though I'm not knowledgeable about different dacs, I do know that the Extreme P sounds wonderful with the 701s, giving them some body and weight without sacrificing the sense of air and space, and it would also work well with any other cans (not all amps that do well with the 701s do well with others) you might be interested in down the line.

Fanboy Alert!

This is the route I am taking. Slide in a tube dac used (CAL Sigma II-$250 or comparable) and you will be set up for some time (using your computer as source) until you land that grad job and can move this to the office while you work on that balanced stat rig
biggrin.gif
. Roll some alternate tubes and the RS-1s will leave you weak kneed. I'm waiting for the next generation dacs to see where they go from here before making the move for a higher priced DAC. The combo CDP/DAC (digital inputs) are very flexible.

Whatever you decide, do your homework and try to get to some meets to have a listen with your headphones if you can. I wasn't able to but have felt lucky to have this site to guide me.

Good hunting.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 22
Has anybody heard one of these:

S-HA-1A.jpg

Cayin HA-1A. It sure reads good -- Triode (1.2 watts) and linear (2.2 watts) modes, three-level impedance selector, easy-to-find tubes (12AX7, 12UT&, EL34), also useable as a preamp. There is also a matching tube DAC...

cayin-idac1.jpg

They're both getting good reviews. About $800 each.

Tim

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With your budget, I'd definitely consider going balanced, though you'd need to get your K701s recabled, which would add more cost. The HeadRoom balanced desktop is really very nice with the K701s, and I preferred it to the SE version. For SE you could get a SP Extreme Platinum for that budget and a separate dac. Though I'm not knowledgeable about different dacs, I do know that the Extreme P sounds wonderful with the 701s, giving them some body and weight without sacrificing the sense of air and space, and it would also work well with any other cans (not all amps that do well with the 701s do well with others) you might be interested in down the line.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of balanced cables I should get?

I know of:

-Cardas
-ALO mod
-Mood Audio silver/blue/black cables

I've heard the ALO ones work well.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 22
The 701s do need to be re-cabled, but balanced won't do anything useful for them. Just get dual leads and stay with 1/4" plug and consider the Woo Audio WA6 with an upgraded rectifier tube. This is a fantastic combination.

Dave

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a suggestion but you may want to read up on the Eddie Current Zana Deux. This amp will eat up your budget leaving you to save for a dac but if its as good as people say, its worth consideration. Look up Uncle Erik, he has one and can tell you about about it if he hasn't already in the forums.

Hey, that's a good idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, the K-701 never perked up and sounded good until I plugged it into the Zana. I have not heard it on every amp mentioned in this thread, but did plug it into 9-10 others before this revelation. The other thing is that the Zana does great things with every other headphone I have (see profile) except for the K-1000, which Craig didn't engineer it for. Another benefit is that the Zana makes a terrific preamp, so when you get a speaker rig, you'll be halfway there.

But that leaves you without a source. You could always make do with a Silverstone EB01 or an Alien DAC until you upgrade your source. Or maybe hit Craigslist for a used turntable or something. Another consideration would be the Sony CE595 SACD player. You won't find many rock or hip hop SACDs, but it sounds good with Red Book. I've seen refurbs going around $60 lately.

Anyhow, take a look at the Zana thread and drop Craig a line if you're curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back