$200 to spend...Better Headphones OR Lesser Headphones AND Amplifier
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iJeffG

New Head-Fier
Title speaks for itself...I'm wondering how best to spend approximnately $200 for a set of full-seize Cans.

I am buying these primarily to listen to classical music run from an Oppo BD93 through an Anthem AV30 headphone outlet.  I believe the Anthem has a 100mW headphone drive circuit.

My question is how to prioritize the $200.  Would I be better off spendinig the full $200 on a higher-end set of headphones...or spending around $100 on the phones, and the rest on a small amplifier?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts...

Jeff

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 8
A small amplifier for $100 may very well be worse or at best only slightly better than your headphone outlet. $200 headphones WILL sound better than $100 headphones. I think a $100 headphone amp is probably a waste of time, space and money while a $200 pair of cans could be very sweet.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 8
You can probably get better headphones that sound great with your current setup. Until you really need to start powering up your headphones (in which the price goes beyond $400), then headphones > amps.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Title speaks for itself...I'm wondering how best to spend approximnately $200 for a set of full-seize Cans.

I am buying these primarily to listen to classical music run from an Oppo BD93 through an Anthem AV30 headphone outlet.  I believe the Anthem has a 100mW headphone drive circuit.

My question is how to prioritize the $200.  Would I be better off spending the full $200 on a higher-end set of headphones...or spending around $100 on the phones, and the rest on a small amplifier?

Used Sennheiser HD558 headphones, sold on Amazon.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 8
OK...Ended up finding a local sale for Beyerdynamic DT 880, 600Ohms...

I will be doing almost exclusively classical and chamber listening. These come highly recommended here...now I hope the Anthem can drive them until I can afford/justify a dedicated amp.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I will be doing almost exclusively classical and chamber listening. These come highly recommended here...now I hope the Anthem can drive them until I can afford/justify a dedicated amp.

For the price you paided for the Anthem AVM 30, is better power 600-ohm headphones, my $500 Yamaha receiver can.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the input.
Jeff

Awesome, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back