<$200 portable amp for HD 25-1 II
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jewmeister

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,
After reading quite a few helpful reviews I have decided to start a thread with the hope of getting some specific info on the combo I am trying to set up.

My source will be an iphone 3Gs primarily or a laptop (so DAC is a bonus)

My music taste is very broad so I want something clean, precise and analytical. I am looking to open up the soundstage and add some richness and detail not rework the sound signature.

I am currently looking at the Jlabs C421, iBasso T5, and UHA 4. There is a very good review comparing these but that fellow is an IEM nut and concluded they were all very close in SQ.

The T5 is most tempting because of its size and price, with the UHA-4 second because it seems to be regarded as a bit better.
Mostly I am hoping that somebody who has experience with T5 and HD25 can chime in and if you have UHA-4 too even better.

My main concern with the C421 is size, I wanna keep this in my pocket stacked with my iphone and my GF makes me wear the skinny jeans...

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
My music taste is very broad so I want something clean, precise and analytical. I am looking to open up the soundstage and add some richness and detail not rework the sound signature.

Interesting.  The results you are looking for are a bit contrary to your comment about not wanting to rework the sound signature.  The HD25's aren't usually regarded as clean, precise, and analytical.  On the contrary they are usually considered a bit grainy, and although decent in detail, a bit v-shaped and a bit on the "fun" side rather than analytical.  You might be better off spending the amp money on a different set of headphones if that's your goal.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Interesting.  The results you are looking for are a bit contrary to your comment about not wanting to rework the sound signature.  The HD25's aren't usually regarded as clean, precise, and analytical.  On the contrary they are usually considered a bit grainy, and although decent in detail, a bit v-shaped and a bit on the "fun" side rather than analytical.  You might be better off spending the amp money on a different set of headphones if that's your goal.

PS I didn't mean this as a criticism of the HD25's, I love the sound personally.  But it just doesn't match the result you're looking for.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input Mutnat, I actually put the C421 on there because of some comments I read from you about the synergy between the HD 25 and C421.
Let me rephrase as upon rereading I definitly could have been more clear on what I want; I already like the sound sig of the HD25-1 II and I understand that this is not a neutral signature like my Er4. I want an amp that will not change the overall signature but will add some detail and clarity but mostly improve separation and soundstage.
Do you notice a significant improvement in soundstage and/or precision with the C421?

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I want an amp that will not change the overall signature but will add some detail and clarity but mostly improve separation and soundstage. Do you notice a significant improvement in soundstage and/or precision with the C421?

Significant is hard to quantify and can vary from person to person, so I'm hesitant to call it significant.  It's definitely noticeable.  Now, these cans are definitely closed and you're never going to get a phenomenal soundstage out of them, it's just the nature of the beast.  But it is improved some by the C421.  Clarity/precision I find more pretty noticeable.  The mids are less muddy, the bass slightly reduced (especially with the bass boost turned off on the amp) but cleaner and tighter.  I find the overall impact, tone, and PRaT all improved vs. running the headphones directly off the iPod (Touch 4G) headphone output.  I do occasionally go without the amp if I'm out for a walk or something and want the minimum amount of bulk, and it does sound okay that way.  But it's better with the amp for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back