$200 cans to mimic DT 880 + Woo Audio 3
Feb 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LibraryGuy

New Head-Fier
My challenge to you, Head-Fiers:

I need a set of headphones costing around $200 that will approach the sound of the Beyer DT 880 driven by a WA 3.

Madness?...probably. I suppose a more reasonable way to phrase my dilemma is that I like Beyer detail with the highs rolled off a bit, but can't afford a full tubed rig for at work.

I'm thinking about using a NuForce uDAC-2 as dac/amp on my work lappy with a set of Grado SR225i.

I'm open to suggestions for both pieces, so long as we can keep the whole kit under $350.

Or, am I asking too much of a budget setup to give me the rounded warmth of my target sound?

My ears will vary, of course, but any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Never owned the WA3, so couldn't know for sure what sort of sound you are talking about. 

As for a budget DT880, I would definitely look at the Superlux HD668B. They may look like AKG and ATH headphone, but the sound quality is very neutral and comparable with the Beyer signature... 'cept maybe just very slightly darker. 

For a nice budget tube amp, you could definitely look at LD Mk3. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 5
First, the headphones are the most important part of the equation. You simply won't recreate the DT880 with anything else. So find a used DT880. I think I sold mine a little under $200, but don't remember. Still, you should be able to find a used pair reasonably.

Second, buy the Bottlehead Crack for $200 and get a $5 soldering iron. The Crack is a very nice little amp and Bottlehead has excellent documentation and their own forum. The DIY Forum here is helpful, too. Yes, you can build it. It'll take you longer than an experienced builder, but you can do it.

That should get you about 95% of what you want for around $400.

Also, don't buy cheap substitutes. You'll eventually buy what you really want sooner or later. Just spend an extra $50 or so now and you'll be happy.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys, I'm finding I still have a lot of research (and listening) to do, so please consider this thread closed. I'll repost in the suggestion thread if I don't figure out a combo I like.

Second, buy the Bottlehead Crack for $200 and get a $5 soldering iron. The Crack is a very nice little amp and Bottlehead has excellent documentation and their own forum. The DIY Forum here is helpful, too. Yes, you can build it. It'll take you longer than an experienced builder, but you can do it.

That's a great suggestion--I had missed the Bottlehead stuff during my initial research.

Quote:
For a nice budget tube amp, you could definitely look at LD Mk3. 

It's on the short-list for sure.

It's the work requirement that's causing me issues right now. I'm pretty far down on the ladder and need to move around a few times a day, and carting a tube amp and dac around is less than desirable. The hunt for a warmish solid-state usb dac/amp continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back