$200 buget, currently looking at ath m-50 and akg k240 mk II
Dec 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dazedy

Head-Fier
Hi people, I've been lurking these forums for a few days, and thought I might as well get your opinions on this.
Around thanksgiving, I stayed at a relative's house for a few days, and he let me audition his AKG k240m's, which led to my realizing just how much I was missing with my current cans (if you can call the overpriced headset I currently use, Razer Megalodon's, a set of cans).  
To get to the point, I liked what I was hearing.  As soon as I got back, I tried listening to music on my current phones and was startled at the difference between the two.  This prompted me to start my search for a pair of headphones I could be satisfied which would fit in my budget.  I'm a poor college student with a bit of money set aside for computer upgrades, but I think that I can take $200 out of my current fund in order to pay for a new pair of cans.

As I've said, I like the AKG k240's which I tested out a lot, and figure that I'd probably like the MK II version as well.  As I was looking around, I noticed that a few people seemed to think that the k240's might not have enough bass, but it's not something I particularly noticed.  One of the things I'm worried about is how much sound leakage they might have because I forgot to check for that as I was testing them out, which is why I'm considering the ATH M-50.  

I'd most likely be using these phones around the dorm, the library (there are study rooms and tables separated by columns of books which I suspect are good enough to block small amounts of noise,  so sound leakage isn't too much of an issue), and the odd trip (I don't travel very often, but it would be nice to be able to listen to them when I'm flying across the US in order to visit my parents).  If the phones don't work very well for travel, it's not a deal-breaker because I have a pair of IEM's which would do the trick.

I listen to a large variety of music ( alternative rock, rock, pop, alternative, classical (not very often, but enough that I'd like the phones to sound decent with it), some variations of folk, oldies), and would probably use the phones for watching movies / playing games if they worked alright for them, but movies / games don't take priority here.  These are supposed to be my music phones.
I'd like to be hear vocals and guitar, the bass should be there and defined, but I'm no basshead.  

Anyways, I've said I'm looking at the m-50 and k240 mk II right now, but i'm open to other suggestions that you guys think might fit my needs better.

EDIT: the reason I'd worry about sound leakage is that my girlfriend frequently gets migraines, so I don't really want phones which leak out just as much music as reaches my ears.  A little bit is OK, as long as it wouldn't annoy someone 7-8 feet away.  I'd like them to be possible to drive off of an iphone 4 (for library use), and I don't currently own a headphone amp.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi, I have tried the AKG 240S (semi open, like the 240 MKII) and own the AKG 271 MKII (closed cans), and my experience from using them in the fairly quiet office having a coworker sitting next to me trying to pick up the noise is this:

240S: Sound leakage becomes noticeable at above 50% volume from my mobile phone (HTC Desire).
271MKII: 70%.

With this source I would consider 50% to be a slightly low volume with the resistance/sensitivty of these phones, 70% sligtly high.

I have not tried my ATH-M50's in the office, as I don't really enjoy their sound and just use them on my home computer. I would reckon the isolation is somewhat better.

The 271's dont work very well for travel because of their size, the 240's are probably somewhat better though.
Anyway the M50's win in that department.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Does anyone have anything to say about the difference (or lack thereof) the K240 vs K240 MK II? 
Also, if I'm looking into open/semiopen phones, are there any others I should be considering?

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
The 271's dont work very well for travel because of their size, the 240's are probably somewhat better though.

I thought the K271 and K240 were the same size?

Quote:
Also, if I'm looking into open/semiopen phones, are there any others I should be considering?

Look into Sennheiser's HD 555. It should be available for about $80-$100, and there's supposedly a simple, 5-minute mod you can do to make it sound almost identical to the higher-end 595 model.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 8
hmm the sennheiser HD555's look promising.

Also, since I'm buying these phones for pleasure, is there any reason for me to look for a relatively flat response curve (like the k240's are known for)?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 8
"Pleasure" is pretty subjective and you'll have to figure out what kind of sound signature you prefer. If that's flat, then find flat phones, if you like forward highs, look for Grados, etc.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Also, since I'm buying these phones for pleasure, is there any reason for me to look for a relatively flat response curve (like the k240's are known for)?

Ehhh. You've already tried the K240 and know you like 'em! (I'm assuming the version you tried and the Mk II you're considering sound the same/very similar)
So that means K240 = pleasant sound to you. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 8
I've decided on the m-50's.
It's a bit of a tradeoff, but I'm willing to trade the k240 experience for less noise leakage and more varies usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back