$20 RA-1's?
Jan 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

z50j

100+ Head-Fier
I don't visit this part of head-fi that much because I don't have an amp, but random searches in google gave me this

Grado RA-1
The guys CMoy amp
and this

RA-1 Cmoy

I dont know if this is valuable or true in some case, but if it is, I hope john grado doesnt get mad at me

If your mad at me because you have an RA-1 and discovered this, I'm sorry

If I was any help to anyone, then your welcome

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i could get an exact replica minus the wooden case for $20 i would buy one in a heart beat.

It ain't gonna' happen. you'll get a $20 amp.........garbage.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got curious, asked around and bought a Cmoy from a guy on Ebay who calls himself BSG, short for Bio Science Geek. I paid $49 for an amp matched to fit the 32 ohm impedence of Grados. It came in a blank rectangular tin with room for the board, resistors, caps and a 9v battery. The amp could be switched for high or low gain. It had an LED "on" light, auto shutoff, a nice-looking quality pot and an adapter jack.

When I got the amp, it came with a bend in the tin and the LED diode didn't work. Nevertheless, when I hooked it up, the amp not only worked; it worked fairly well. I'm not going to suggest that it compares to a thousand-dollar amp, but for $50, it performed surprisingly well.

To be sure, you get what you pay for but for an amp in the sub-$500 range, the Cmoy gives decent bang for the buck. As for BSG, when I wrote to him telling him I was happy with the sound but not so happy with the dented tin and the nonfunctional LED, he told me to keep the amp, then sent me a second amp at no charge. So, for $50, I got two amps, both of which come in handy when I'm watching a movie off my computer's anemic soundcard.

When somebody does you right, the decent thing is to speak their praises. All hail, BSG!

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 15
Not to mention the Fiio series of portable amps..they aren't garbage for the price....

The Fiio E5 in particular is great for the price.
Many people on here rate it better than a CMOY.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 15
If you guys check out hohodiy.com, they sell DIY RA-1 kits + RA1 DAC kits that come out to around $80 shipped. It's called the NeoMini DigiAmp v1.1, and they also sell AMB Mini^3 amp DIY kits or completed for around $70 (Kit) $100 (Completed) shipped

Edit: You might need to create an account to see what they offer

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi'ers hate RA-1's so much that they'd play kickball with it, pee on it, throw it in a bag, smash it against a wall while in the bag, incinerate it, but keep the knob for another DIY... Unless you have a Grado, they should have "synergy"

Who on God's earth elected you speaker on our behalf? Have you even heard this amp with Grado headphones?

Please go away!

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ha ha ha. Unbelievable. If you copy RA1 component by component, PCB tracing, wires, connectors, switches and potenemeter it'll be EXACTLY the same in sound quality. Or are you saying Grados (example 4456) opamps are more special than the 4456 opamps you get from electrical supplier?

Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A $20 amp will sound...well...like a $20 amp.

The internals from the RA1 only cost a few quid. Resistors are pennies, wire you get reel for a few quid. Most expensive is the wood enclosure and the labour building it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who on God's earth elected you speaker on our behalf? Have you even heard this amp with Grado headphones?

Please go away!

DID-YOU-READ-THE-POST-ALL-THE-WAY!!?
angry_face.gif

And where did I say: "Hi - I'm BenAiir and I'm speaking on your behalf."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Chill out. Put on some SkullCandy's
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back