2 Pair Of Cans At Once From One Amp?
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Trance1

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp that can power 2 pair of cans at once.
Does such an animal exist?
Are there adaptors available that can power 2 pair from one jack?
Possibly, driving 2 cans of widely different impedence might be a problem, but I'd like to drive 2 Ultrasone Pro 750s.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 17
If they are the same headphone Grado makes a y-splitter that will work very nicely.

some amps cant drive a low impedance load (the headphones are in parallel) very well, but unless you listen loud or have a flea-powered amp it should not be a huge problem.

almost any SS amp can handle the heat, some Tubes may fall out of class-A when driving 2 pair of headphones before they get to 90DB levels.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 17
There are many amps available with two headphone jacks.

Three of my amps have two jacks:
HeadRoom Max
HeadRoom Desktop
Meier HA2 MKII SE

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lmost any SS amp can handle the heat, some Tubes may fall out of class-A when driving 2 pair of headphones before they get to 90DB levels.

Falling out of class A shouldn't be at all detrimental to the amp or headphones, right? Some crossover distortion at worst?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 17
Headamp GS-1 also has two headphone outs.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 17
I have used my HeadRoom Maxxed-out home for just this purpose on a number of occasions. Usually after a few beers with a pal
atsmile.gif

This amp is a few years old - I don't know if their current line has two headphone jacks or not.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 17
i've been curious about this too.
if i use the grado's y-splitter, and have pico drive two pairs of headphones at the same time (lets say hd600 and im716 since thats what i have), will there be any degrade in sound?

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 17
The problem as I understand it is that when you use two phones via a Y-Adapter you will have mis-matched impedances, say w/ a Senn and Grado being driven at the same time. One of the phones will want voltage the other current, thus you will not be able to please both listeners w/ the proper volume.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
presonus central station, seperate amp and volume control for each of the two headphone jacks.
smily_headphones1.gif

^^^beat me to it.
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 17
Rudistor NX-03.

My NX-02 powers my Proline 750's and Proline 650's simultaneously out if it's two jacks with no obvious degradation in performance.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 17
"Lol, all those amps that have 2 headphone jacks are the EXACTLY same thing as using a Y-splitter"

The E.A.R. HP4 has seperate transformers for each Impedance and seperate windings for each headphone out.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back