2 HDTVs im considering..
Aug 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #33 of 82
No burn in here on my Panasonic 42 it was 5yrs old May and although I don't game my
MBP is hooked up to it and a lot of stills have been shown. I think there has been a lot
of improvement in both LCD and Plasma but to my eyes the Plasma has the best picture.
If it were in the budget I would get a new Panasonic 1080p 50 pure eye candy.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #34 of 82
One of my engineering friends just completed a calibration course for televisions. $1500 class.

One of the things they did was purchase a few new sets and pulled them out of the box. Needless to say none of them were even close. If you've got a blu-ray player I highly recommend the Joe Kane Blu-Ray disc. Short of broadcast test equipment it's your best bet.

He said that they are phasing out the Pioneer Elite series. Can't remember if it was due to cost or no one buying them. Sadly the Elite series is about as close as you can get to a true broadcast monitor. No other sets come close. I saw a color grade (for editing) Sony monitor that was a 20 inch at $1000 an inch. For an LCD it looked great.

He also said that they've pretty much done away with burn in on plasmas. While it's possible to get image retention if you put up something that is white you can get it out. The plasmas still draw more current than your refrigerator though...

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No burn in here on my Panasonic 42 it was 5yrs old May and although I don't game my
MBP is hooked up to it and a lot of stills have been shown. I think there has been a lot
of improvement in both LCD and Plasma but to my eyes the Plasma has the best picture.
If it were in the budget I would get a new Panasonic 1080p 50 pure eye candy.

how much PC use do you get? like web pages and stuff?

i suppose i could use a screen saver to come on every minute or 2

do plasmas look sharp with web text?

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #36 of 82
Web pages look sharper on the LCD, just like a PC LCD monitor. Plasma is very slightly blurry, I've tried all thee enhancment settings, and not quite clear. Orbiter disabled, in dot x dot, 1920x1080. But talking very slightly blurred, or to be more specific around font, there is very slight amount of bleed to the next pixel. Cleartype is disabled.

People have complained that Panasonic have a noisy picture I'm not sure if this also covers from PC input. Oh the Pioneers look horrid in proper PC mode, it's far too blue- this has been reported on av forums. Black level is also far worse, so leave it in video mode. Also play around with 16-235 or 0-255 RGB setting.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #38 of 82
well, i had a look in the shop yesterday and saw a direct comparrison between the 7020 samsung lcd and the panisonic plasma,

the LCD looked way better to me, the colours were vibrant, [probs slightly unnaturally so but i have that on my monitor anyways] and the plasma did have the same look as my parents panasonic, SD also looked better on the LCD which i was suprised about,

so im considering the 7020/7000 and really should buy it before octobers end [150 cash back] just hope something amazing isnt around the corner?! 46 or 40?

anyone hab=ve any strong opinions on this particular set? its darn expensive!!

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #39 of 82
oh god no please don't buy Samsung. They're so riddled with bugs and hardware faults. Of course the LCD will look vibrant in the shop, as it has higher brightness. In your home, with the same settings in dynamic you'll burn your retinas. Just for fun I set my Samsung LCD to dynamic, 100% contrast, backlight 100% and I had to put on my sunglasses. To make it more comfortable I had to change from dynamic to movie, reduce backlight to 40-50% and reduce contrast a bit.

Do you watch TV with sunglasses?

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #40 of 82
Just ordered my LG 47" LED/LCD yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif

On sale, $600 off!

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 82
the samsung LCD was not just bright tho, it was sharp on SD too i was quite impressed, only isssue is the global dimming rather than local

Ka-boom
what model was it btw? not many seem to like LGs

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 82
I bought a Samsung 46B650 about a month ago and am very happy with it. Here's a review.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A LCD will look better in the shops, trust me when you get it home those same settings will look horrible. You can get it better looking, with Samsung a good start is putting it to movie and disabling all "enhancements"

Very true. The settings which produce the best-looking results in the store almost always produce virtually unviewable results at home (yes, even if the room lighting is relatively bright)--specifically, too friggin' bright and contrasty that they (literally) blind the sun. This is because the average store lighting is at least dozens of times brighter than even a sunlit room at home.

Unfortunately, Samsung's default ("Standard") settings are still a bit too bright and sharp to my liking. (But it's not as objectionable as the "Dynamic" setting, which pushes almost everything way up.)

Personally, with a 32" Samsung LCD that's in my bedroom, I use the "Movie" mode, but custom set "Warm1" instead of the "Warm2" that's the default for the "Movie" setting, and also disable NR (setting it to "Off" instead of the default "Auto"). The Dynamic Contrast function is set to "Off" by default in "Movie" mode with this particular set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back