1st timer could use some help.
Feb 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shouse

New Head-Fier

Looking to pick up my first set of decent-good cans.  Need some advice. I started this thread b/c I don't feel the main 'recommendation'  thread gets that much attention.

Music genres: I'd say 5% hiphop, 80% classic rock, 15% other.  

Portable: No, only at the computer/tv.

Price range: $100'ish

Amped: Someday I'm sure it's going to happen but immediately now, no.

Closed/Open: Ideally would prefer closed but I won't completely say no to open. It would have to be a hell of a can to deter me from closed but I guess I'm semi open to it.  I've heard good things on grado 225 for for rock, classical, and vocals.  

Headphone preference:             I love a good soundstage.  It's not an elite setup if the stage is setup properly if you ask me.  I don't require the speakers to be too neutral or anything.  I'm looking for the purest experience where I feel like the band is playing right in front of me. 

Only thing to add in is that the headphones will probably be used for a lot of movies too.  Potentially a couple games but that's very minimal. A long straight cord would be a plus.  I do have a creative audigy sound card on my computer, not sure if that provides me with more power or not.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Yea I feel like I'm slowly being worked to a higher budget.  I wish there was a place I could go and listen to some of these models.  What's do you think is the best/easiest way of looking around my area for a store that might carry some of these brands?

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Yea I feel like I'm slowly being worked to a higher budget.  I wish there was a place I could go and listen to some of these models.  What's do you think is the best/easiest way of looking around my area for a store that might carry some of these brands?
I have a new Philips Stretch, the red and black version sold by the Apple store for $120. I've seen other sites sell this (assuming it's the same 'phone) for less than $80. It sounds pretty darn good - better than the $150 Klipsch in my opinion. Bass is strong and deep, but not overly bassy. Mids and highs are very good too, and very smooth and detailed. Isolation is decent. If Philips' quality control is consistent and all of their samples sound the same, this could be the bargain of all time.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 11
The Grado SR80's would be a great intro...the SR60's would be as well and are less money. You can mod them easily and dramatically improve them even though they are already pretty great. I personally don't like the SR225's and IMO I would save the money to put towards a better Grado like the SR325 or a used pair of RS1's if you were to upgrade up the Grado ladder.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 11
I just thought they are weak and anemic. The pair I demoed were at least. I A/B'ed them against the 325's I bought and there was no comparison. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 11
I started with the sr60i, returned those for 125's, and am now thinking about 325's.  My philosophy has always been to the nicest set of which I can really tell there is an improvement, ie when i first got the 60's i couldn't tell a huge difference between those and the 125's but now it has become clear, pardon the pun. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back