1st step to a computer setup
Jun 24, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #46 of 54
Mainly because I owned one a few months ago and was extremely happy with the sound, including the built-in amp. I chose it over the Benchmark, at the time, mainly based on Iron_Dreamer's review, since I wanted a 1 box solution and the DA-10's amp was better (in most people's opinion). I definitely was not disappointed. I ultimately returned to CD's and dedicated CDP, so I eneded up getting rid of it. If/when I return to external DAC (for computer-based listening), I'll probably get another DA-10.

If you have the opportunity, you should definitely listen to both before making your decision.

mjb

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #47 of 54
The problem is because I'am currently located in Singapore, its a little hard for me to find a place/shop that carries the Lavry DA-10 for audition...I'am able to audition both the Grace 902m and Benchmark but not the lavry....Btw, how's the Grace 902m when compared to the benchmark and lavry DA10 ??

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Have you looked at Stello DA100?
http://www.hifi500.com/product/da100.htm
That one accordingly to some sparse and short review has a very decent USB implementation which is important for computer setup.

But then again, I've heard from many saying that USB isn't a good way to use as a computer setup. Its because of noise issues or what. There's like two different groups of people here right now and i kinda find it hard to decide which to follow. It seems that at the end of the day, the CDP setup seems the best....However, I would really like a computer setup so that I can listen to my songs with the convenience of a click...And yes, I've basically looked at quite a few DAC's and have no idea which to use. The benchmark DAC-1 and the Grace 902m are my top choices now and the rest are all my secondary choices...I've looked into the Storm Digital D02, the Stello DA100,, Lavry DA10, Bell Canto and others...

USB has that noise issue, SPDIF might also have that issue, some suggest getting a squeezebox to have sound processed outside of the computer, while some say that a squeezebox is not necessary, while some even recommended getting a laptop.

I'am looking for something that works well and it has to work well....

I'am looking for something that has the benefits of a benchmark DAC and the simplicity of a PC setup...

How about getting the benchmark and using a good Portable CD player as the transport? Am I or will I be missing out on anything?

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 54
And I've also been seeing many wonderful stuff's from china that's cheap and good. I've heard and read alittle about the Zhaolu DAC's....Will this be a much better solution than the Benchmark ? It sure is cheap and I don't see the point of spending alot more for something that improves my sound by 5% or 10%...

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

USB isn't a good way to use as a computer setup

That isn't what we're telling you, and there really aren't 2 groups of people. What all of us are telling you: it is implementation specific. USB can suck big time or it can be great. Look carefully at the results before you buy. Stello seems to have a decent USB implementation, so that's why people recommend it.

SPDIF can or cannot have noise issues. If it's coax, then there's a direct connection that can lead to noise going to the audio gear. If it's optical, at least that part is impossible, but it can introduce jitter.

Some types of wireless equipment are suggested because they have their own clock (so no jitter), and obviously there's no physical connection (so no noise).

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 54
Oh...That cleared things up abit. So how can I get something that's free/has little jitter and what do you mean by good USB/BAD USB implementation ? To me, USB is just USB, I don't really get the part on good/bad....Btw, my X-FI doesn't have Optical out so if I were to get lets say a Grace 902m/Benchmark, would it be better to also purchase a Squeezebox since connecting them directly with Coaxial to the COMP might create problems of interference ? And also, I've gone through the Squeezebox webby but still, don't have much idea what it is for...Is it somesort of DAC or what? I know for it to stream music around the house you'll need a wireless point right? Won't wireless also post a problem as weaker signals/signal interference might affect sound quality? Correct me if I'am wrong...

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #53 of 54
Oops, lots of questions, will try to answer them all:
1. Take the Stello equipment as an example: it's galvanicly isolated (converts internally to SPDIF: no hum), and has dejitter circuitry (jitter not so bad as it used to be).
2. Squeezebox is a DAC with wireless interface. You don't need a second DAC.
3. Yes, it is a DAC.
4. Yes, you need a transmitter to receive anything. Point-to-Point might work for some, but I suggest getting an access point.
5. Yes, that's why I would be hesitant to use such a device. 54G only has 3 non-interferering channels, so the chance of being "pushed away" is too big IMO.

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #54 of 54
Oh gosh, and as I looked around, someone suggested getting the Electrocompani**** (dunno how to spell that) EMC-1UP....Somehow, it looked like my dream player....The DAC is superb and the transport's good....Should I put the computer as source idea aside and save up for that instead???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back