1st step to a computer setup
Jun 24, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 54
I've got the GCHA which does a decent job from the USB of my laptop. Not great mind you but decent and if you pair it with a decent source, you've got a very nice setup.

Another simple solution is the Micro Stack. Haven't heard it but it seems to be a nice, economical solution for laptop users. While the amp isn't the smallest, most convenient solution to "portable" needs, it certainly could fill that role fairly well. Nice laptop solution and a somewhat portable bonus as well.

You could also invest $60 or so on a Transit and get another connection option. Then you've got several contenders in the DAC arena that you could consider. Since I purchased a Transit to get past some of the noise associated with the headphone jack on my laptop, that's probably my ace in the hole for a computer rig.

Others have mentioned them but I'll agree that it appears three strong contenders would be the Lavry, Stello and maybe even the bel canto DAC3 due out in a month or so.

Good luck.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #33 of 54
So let me put it this way. After getting the DAC, and connecting it to the soundcard using a mini to RCA S/PDIF cable, I'am all set and ready for my new listening experience? Do i still have to care about that ASIO and KERNEL thing? I've downloaded this ASIO plugin for my foobar but it seems that when I went to the preference to do some settings, all i see is OUTPUT=> ASIO VIRTUAL DEVICES...Under configured virtual asio devices, i added the CREATIVE ASIO...and when i went back to output, and under output device, i have this new selection called ASIO: Creative ASIO. If that's the case, then doesn't it mean that I could select ASIO from the creative software that came with my X-FI ??

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #35 of 54
I'am trying all these without a DAC right now....Oh, after doing the settings as i mentioned earlier on, i tried to press play and this is what i get: PLAYBACK ERROR
Unrecoverable playback error: ASIO: None of input channels are assigned to device channels

What??? what's that supposed to mean... I see no input channels and device channels...And I downloaded this crossfeed plugin as well but it seems that there isn't anything showing me how i can activate it ..... Oh, FIY, i put all my downloaded plugin files in the components section of the foobar2000 file...

Jun 24, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #36 of 54
My computer rig works like this:

FLAC lossless audio files played in Foobar2000, ASIO Plugin (E-MU ASIO), E-MU 1010 digital card outputs digital signal (24 bit 44.1 Khz) through RCA to RCA coaxial cable to my DAC, DAC converts the signal to analog (24 bit 192 Khz) and from there a normal RCA interconnector cable takes the signal to a tube preamp, from there with another normal RCA interconnector cable signal goes to my headphone amp (controls volume) where my headphones are plugged.

I send ASIO signal straight to my soundcards digital output. I only have ASIO selected while I am working at my computer or just listening to music. That way no other sounds are audible other than the music. If I want to see a movie, play a game or need some other sounds I will switch to sending wave instead of ASIO.

With E-MU patchmix software you can set up various sessions for different purposes. I find it very useful and in the end simple after a little searching. I don't use the Foobar DSP at all but my headphone amp with volume control. I personally would not use USB devices because windows USB driver is very crappy.

Jun 24, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #37 of 54
Someone suggested using a Squeezebox...How's that? I know its taking all the processing away from the computer to that RF and casing fans and stuff like that would not create interferences...I'am now thinking of going for a Grace 902m or a Benchmark DAC-1. Which is more recommended ?

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Which is more recommended ?

You have to listen to equipment to get what suits YOU. There's no "universal" truth: more expensive equipment in general is better, but you may not like the signature at all. So go to a shop, and listen to them, preferably through as much of your own gear as possible (headamp, phone).

Quote:

Is there any USB audio device that actually reduces jitter. As far as I have found, USB Audio devices are not very good at this point.

USB needs a buffer to perform well. It doesn't have bandwidth reservation like firewire. If there's no data package available to decode when the DAC needs it you get jitter. A good buffering mechanism will solve that issue. So: USB isn't universally flawed, but it does need a better design than "simply solder a USB port on this chips pins" to get it working the way it should.

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #39 of 54
So shall I use a USB dac or SPDIF / optical ?? I'am kinda stuck between the Benchmark and Grace 902m....Which one has a better performance ? Also, is it necessary for me to get a squeeze box ?

Jun 24, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
So shall I use a USB dac or SPDIF / optical ?? I'am kinda stuck between the Benchmark and Grace 902m....Which one has a better performance ? Also, is it necessary for me to get a squeeze box ?

Razer, Have you considered other DAC's? Such as the Lavry, Storm Digital D-01, Stello DA-220, Apogee Mini-DAC, Bel Canto DAC 2, or the Aqvox USB 2 D/A?

Jun 24, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Razer, Have you considered other DAC's? Such as the Lavry, Storm Digital D-01, Stello DA-220, Apogee Mini-DAC, Bel Canto DAC 2, or the Aqvox USB 2 D/A?

I'am open to all suggestions. Just something that's good and lasts me for sometime. Btw, I'll be building this new sound system using my current computer. I've got the X-fi basic model and was wondering what to do next...Someone suggested me a Squeezebox btw. So if I get that, it means I'll only have to connect it to an amp ? My budget's around $1500 and the very most I'll go is maybe the Grace 902m. Anything above that price point is really out of my budget. OTOH, anything much cheaper and equal if not better sounding would much be appreciated...

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #44 of 54
My suggestion is to get a new Lavry DA-10, from somewhere with a 30 day return policy. Get yourself a decent coax cable (blue jeans cable sells good stuff). Use your X-fi to run digital via coax from the X-fi to the Lavry. Between the DAC and the cable, you'll still be just under $1000. Listen to that for a bit and decide if you need/want to spend that other $500 on something like a Squeezebox, better cable, amp, etc. The Lavry headphone amp is quite good, so you may also be able to sell whatever amp you're currently using as well. And, you can always return the Lavry if it doesn't suit you.

That's the route I'd take in your situation.

mjb

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #45 of 54
And could you also tell me why you choose the lavry over the benchmark ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back