1st step to a computer setup
Jun 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

razer

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've decided to get a computer setup. First of all, is getting a soundcard and then going into a DAC (like the benchmark DAC-1) then to headphone amp and to my headphone enough for a setup that's more than decent enough? With songs ripped using EAC and played back through foobar2000, plus a quiet hard disc, what more do I have to look out for? I have heard of people suggestion the RME soundcards as well as EMU cards... I guess I'll probably need to find one with an optical out.

I'am sort of like a total noob at this source stuff so some spoonfeeding would help. I've read through tons of stuff and decided that a computer setup would at the end be the most suitable for me because I'am in front of my comp most of the time and listen to music from my comp. So the question is, what soundcard should I be starting off with ? There's like the EMU's, Turtlebeach,M-Audio, and RME....And other than the benchmark DAC-1, are there any cheaper alternatives that offer similar if not performance close to that? Not counting the DAC,amp,interconnects, my budget for a soundcard would be around $500.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 54
Also, how should I tackle problems of jittering? I read that the RME soundcards as well as the DAC-1 have functions to minimise/eliminate them??

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 54
You want to get a good quality power supply, Seasonic, Antec, etc.

Quiet CPU, Video card, case fans also.

As far as soundcard and DAC go, you need something that can do a good digital transport, RME, EMU, M-Audio all good brands to go with. Depends what extra features you want, you can also look at creative x-fi cards.

As for DAC, don't limit yourself to the benchmark DAC-1, there are a lot of choices out there, especially in the $1k price range. Jitter is not as serious of a problem as some people make it out to be, and should not be the deciding factor on the DAC you choose because of its 'jitter reduction'. Most DACs do this. Decide on a DAC based on how you want it to sound.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 54
I'am actually using the X-FI soundcard now and was thinking of going higher up. Should I stick with the X-FI and get a DAC instead?

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
I'am actually using the X-FI soundcard now and was thinking of going higher up. Should I stick with the X-FI and get a DAC instead?

The X-Fi can do bit perfect digital output via mini coax. It should be acceptable, from what i've read, I have not heard it first hand.

The only drawback to this is, that jack multi functions as mic input also, if you need the mic you would have to unplug the digital output. (Unless you have the platinum version with the drive bay)

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 54
I'am using the lowest end series of the X-FI series and I have no use for a MIC...

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 54
There are several ways to get SPDIF out to a DAC. Your XFi is a good Coax out. You do need to use a mini-RCA adapter, or get a cable with this configuration. Bit Perfect SPDIF out is available using the "music creation" mode only though. This is a great card if you are wanting to play games, and listen to audiophile music.

If you need the Mic input though, you cant have both, as the mini jack does either Mic in or Coax SPDIF out. Optical SPDIF is only available on the XFi Elite Pro breakout box, or on the front panel of the XFi Platinum/Fatality version.

If you have an XFi, I would concentrate more on your DAC and AMP before worrying about a "fancier" card to produce your SPDIF out. Consider a more expensive card if you are going to skip an external amp. Although I think the XFi competes well with the lower priced DACs.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 54
My primary concern now is to be able to play back music at the highest quality possible. EAC rips and stuff like that has been handled. Right now, I would like to ask some questions...I've been searching online for that COAX SPDIF stuff and the more i read, the more confused I get. Can anyone explain this is more laymen terms to me? If I get a DAC, maybe a benchmark or a Grace M902, what other interconnects or stuff do i have to get? I know that if I get the Grace, then i would only have to use the USB and forgo the soundcard. However, the Grace is a little on the high side so I've decided to get the Benchmark DAC-1. Another problem here is that, I'll have to use a mini to RCA converter. I've got a pair of ZU GEDE interconnects and probably that will be the way I'll link my sound card to the Benchmark DAC-1 and then to the AMP...Is that sequence right?

Oh, and pls explain what SPDIF is. I've seen it a dozen times but still have absolutely 0 idea what it means....

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 54
SPDIF is digital coax or optical. Its just the act of transferring the music digitally.

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 54
Oh, and btw, on my local forum board, someone suggested that getting a CDP and slowly building up my system would be better because the computer ain't an ideal way to start off with due to the sound of the fans and spinning hard discs and stuff like that. Can anyone tell me why that sound isn't good ? Its not like I can hear them when I'am playing music...Although I occasionally hear this whipping sound or sort of like this small bleeping sound when I'am burning my disc and listening to music at the same time. Is this some sort of an interference problem due to the poor shielding of components inside the computer or simply the noisy of hardware that makes music listening in a quiet room less enjoyable?

OTOH, the sound of clock ticking in my room is even louder than the whirring of my computer's fan and hard drive...So I kinda don't get it when they said that the computer was noisy and not a good source to start off with. So the question is, should I be spending my money on a USB DAC like the GRACE M902 (or preferablly something just as good and alot cheaper) or getting interconnects and connecting the X-FI to maybe lets say a BENCHMARK DAC-1 or simply getting a CDP and use the DAC of the CDP for the time being....I just can't make a decision now...

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 54
This is what I would do... keep the x-fi and run digital coax out to an external dac, use lossless files, get a nice amp. It would be better if you had the x-fi that has the i/o drive but i guess thats not the case. Theres nothing wrong with having a computer based setup. There's always going to be two camps of people who prefer to have a dedicated cd player as opposed to a computer based setup and vice versa. Personally, I prefer to have a computer based setup that way I can have all my music at my fingertips.

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 54
Could you guide me to which one is the COAXIAlL out on my X-FI ? Its the most basic model btw....I'am currently plugging my cans to the mini jack that produces sound
biggrin.gif
Its the 2nd one from the left...The others seem useless to me....And there's no manual included for my X-FI....
mad.gif
Gosh, I'am a noob at this source thing....

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 54
Just to make it even more comlicated: if you decide to have a computer based audio system, an alternative to the cheap soundcard -> digital interconnect -> external Dac would be a Lynx soundcard. I've heard a couple and they are pretty impressive. I've compared once a Lynx to my Apogee minidac and the Lynx was more precise and detailed, with better imaging (but less smooth & full).
Anyway, audition before you buy, this is very important!

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 54
Drop the soundcard, buy a decent laptop, and invest into a good DAC/amp. Decent laptops are quiet by nature and are battery fed. Eliminates lots of noise (in more than one way). If you get a good DAC like a Stello DA100, you'll only need USB on the laptop to get a very nice setup.
Note: Most USB implementations currently on the market are galvanic isolated, so noise isn't a real issue, even with a normal PC.

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 54
Actually, noise from my PC isn't really a problem since its placed inside this cabinet with ventings at the rear so the sound's pretty muffled up and I can't hear a thing most of the time... Yeah, I've been suggested to get the Stello DA100 as well. How does it compare to the Benchmark DAC-1's or the Grace M902 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back