1st cdp: cd5001, c542, or azur 640c
Apr 22, 2008 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
I need help deciding on my first CD players and Ive narrowed it down to these 3 models. Im leaning toward the Marantz CD5001 since I can get it for $200 less than the other 2. Would there be a major difference between these players? If it helps im looking for the most neutral player.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 21
I haven't heard the c542 or 640c, but I've become a big fan of Marantz decks.

One of the best features of the CD5001 (and SA8001) is the inboard headphone amp. Yes, an actual headphone amp. It's not the best I've heard, but it's not bad at all and drives most full-sized cans adequately.

If I were going for a budget system, I'd get the CD5001 and a pair of headphones.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were going for a budget system, I'd get the CD5001 and a pair of headphones.

That's actually a really good idea for a bare bones system. Best bang for the buck still lies with the 640. (And I own a Marantz SA7001!)

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 21
I dont know if there would be any major differences but which would give the best soundstage/separation and have the most detailed/transparent sound. I wouldnt need the amp on the CD5001 since Ill be using the Meier Audio: Corda Arietta with the MS-1/AD700 and later on the MS-Pro/AD2000.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 21
If they added an optical input to the 640c ala the 740c I would buy it in a second. I was not impressed with the c542, and I cant imagine the cd5001 is better than the 640. Not a real tough choice imo. Especially if you have an external amp.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they added an optical input to the 640c ala the 740c I would buy it in a second. I was not impressed with the c542, and I cant imagine the cd5001 is better than the 640. Not a real tough choice imo. Especially if you have an external amp.

Why do you say so?

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you say so?

Just from reviews I have read. As I said, I am in the market for something in this range and have been reading reviews for months. I feel like Cambridge Audio makes the best products in this price range.

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Well... I am enjoying my 740c even though it isn't a perfect match for my headphones. There are many happy 840c users too so I guess the 640c can't be that bad either
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 21
I had the Azur 640Cv1 in black, and while it sounded good, I didn't care at all for the very hard to read display, the fact that I had to exchange the remote with the US importer because a batch came over that ate batteries, and the toroid started humming. When I opened up the 640Cv1, I wasn't as impressed with the quality of construction inside as I imagined I would be.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of construction of my Marantz SA8001, and if I were on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CD5001.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 21
Are there other reasonably priced CDP's beside the 740c that have optical IN's? This is SUCH an awesome feature and in my opinion puts it above the competition, assuming the SQ from its DACs are as good as I imagine.

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 21
milkpowder........

The comments I read about the Azur build quality, as far as I can tell, came from folks who were impressed by the casing (aluminum front panel, sculpted side panels) and the "weighty" remote more than the actual circuitry build quality--which, as far as I recall, was typical of any player in that price range.

Sure, the toroidal had that fancy copper-colored cap on it......but that didn't stop it from vibrating to the point I could feel it when resting my hand on the case and hearing it from 5 to 7 feet away. The word I finally got from the US importer was that yes indeed, the engineers in the UK determined that a bad batch of toroidals got through the system.

I'd rather have a plastic cased or "naked" transfo that does its job, rather than one with a fancy case that serves no purpose at all--especially when opening up the case is something that needn't be done by a user.

I suppose it's all a question of what one really means by "build quality".

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 21
The 640C V2 is indeed a relatively "neutral" player. It's a fine-sounding machine, and I wrote a semi-positive review of it against the Arcam DiVA CD73 last year.

But like sejarzo says, build quality on the inside is not that great. Here are some pics of the internals I took of it several months ago: (click for larger versions)

As anyone can see, it's chock full of cheap NE5532s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back