1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #691 of 1,586
What would be a decent desktop amp or dac/amp to power these properly?

At 32 ohm with 104 db sensitivity, pretty much anything can power these headphones to very loud volumes. Even a good portable amp can drive these very well.

They also run well straight out of a DAP that has a decent amount of power, like my Cayin N3 and my Hidizs AP200 both of which deliver 130mW at 32 ohm. I use low gain on both and have the volume below 50%...closer to 40%. Of course volume alone is not the whole story but they sound great to me... nothing lacking.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #692 of 1,586
Today I've done a fast listening comparation at a local store between Meze 99N and 99C, B&W P7 and P9, Sony MDR-1AM2 and Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 in comparation to my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro using my FiiO X3II.

The first that went away was the P9 as it was the most muddy to me, without any detail. The next was MSR7 because although I like bright highs I also like punchy bass and to me they were the less bass heavy. P7 had a similar sound (after quite increasing the volume) to the Mezes, but somehow I felt them a little warmer without enough highs for my taste. MDR-1AM2 felt very confy with nice highs and bass, but with some songs they sounded to much bright (but without reaching MSR7 levels) compared to both Mezes that had a more prominent bass and nice highs similar to my DT770.

Finally, between both Mezes I found the 99C slightly clearer, but not enough to justify the price difference.

As I'm searching for transportable alternative to my DT770, the 99N been not foldable (although having a nice carrying case) and without the possibility to test the H1707, I need your help to know how they compare specially in bass, mids and highs in order to know if I should get H1707 or 99N.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #693 of 1,586
Today I've done a fast listening comparation at a local store between Meze 99N and 99C, B&W P7 and P9, Sony MDR-1AM2 and Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 in comparation to my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro using my FiiO X3II.

The first that went away was the P9 as it was the most muddy to me, without any detail. The next was MSR7 because although I like bright highs I also like punchy bass and to me they were the less bass heavy. P7 had a similar sound (after quite increasing the volume) to the Mezes, but somehow I felt them a little warmer without enough highs for my taste. MDR-1AM2 felt very confy with nice highs and bass, but with some songs they sounded to much bright (but without reaching MSR7 levels) compared to both Mezes that had a more prominent bass and nice highs similar to my DT770.

Finally, between both Mezes I found the 99C slightly clearer, but not enough to justify the price difference.

As I'm searching for transportable alternative to my DT770, the 99N been not foldable (although having a nice carrying case) and without the possibility to test the H1707, I need your help to know how they compare specially in bass, mids and highs in order to know if I should get H1707 or 99N.

Thanks
I found the mids scooped in both the Neo and 1more. Not sure which was worse, but neither was what I would consider terrible. 1more takes the cake for treble imo - not even close as far as I'm concerned. The bass in the 1more is more controlled than the Neo. The Neo is more boomy, not as tight. That being said, the bass in the 1more isn't perfectly tight. The Neo is a darker sounding can than the 1more imo. Both have stellar imaging. That's a hard call. I'd need to give them both a listen again. That being said, I sold them both and kept my B&O H6 2nd generation and Thinksound On2 for my portables

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #694 of 1,586
Thanks,

Selecting from what I heard yesterday, my ideal headphones would be between Meze 99 Neo and Sony MDR-1AM2: 99N sub bass (with slightly less mid-upper bass) and MDR-1AM2 highs, if H1707 has this profile they would be my choice. I cannot neither listen to B&O H6 2nd generation nor Thinksound ON2, but I could try to get them (H6 2nd gen would be easier to get) if they fit better to my preferences... Any advide in my quest for fun sounding headphones?

I would also be very pleased if anybody could please tell me the dimensions of H1707 and 99 Neo carrying cases.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #695 of 1,586
Thanks,

Selecting from what I heard yesterday, my ideal headphones would be between Meze 99 Neo and Sony MDR-1AM2: 99N sub bass (with slightly less mid-upper bass) and MDR-1AM2 highs, if H1707 has this profile they would be my choice. I cannot neither listen to B&O H6 2nd generation nor Thinksound ON2, but I could try to get them (H6 2nd gen would be easier to get) if they fit better to my preferences... Any advide in my quest for fun sounding headphones?

I would also be very pleased if anybody could please tell me the dimensions of H1707 and 99 Neo carrying cases.
The 1more doesn't have the same level of sub bass as the Neo or Sony, but it's not terribly far behind. The treble is definitely extended further with some sparkle. The On2 has more sub bass than the 1more, and the treble is extended even more with more sparkle, but it doesn't get harsh or exhausting. The H6 is more balanced with the bass ever so slightly north of neutral. It's a very smooth sounding headphone without the thick gravy sound of the Sony. Keep in mind that the 1more sounds best driven with some decent power to make in come alive

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #696 of 1,586
The 1more doesn't have the same level of sub bass as the Neo or Sony, but it's not terribly far behind. The treble is definitely extended further with some sparkle. The On2 has more sub bass than the 1more, and the treble is extended even more with more sparkle, but it doesn't get harsh or exhausting. The H6 is more balanced with the bass ever so slightly north of neutral. It's a very smooth sounding headphone without the thick gravy sound of the Sony. Keep in mind that the 1more sounds best driven with some decent power to make in come alive

The H1707 has specs of
  • Speaker Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 104 dB
Thus, not too difficult to drive. They sound "alive" on my phone. I guess it depends on what volume one listens to them at and if you are using boosted EQ.

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #697 of 1,586
The H1707 has specs of
  • Speaker Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 104 dB
Thus, not too difficult to drive. They sound "alive" on my phone. I guess it depends on what volume one listens to them at and if you are using boosted EQ.
Yep, not hard to drive, but they definitely wake up with more power pushing them It has been mentioned many times in this thread. Z states the same in his review

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #698 of 1,586
Yep, not hard to drive, but they definitely wake up with more power pushing them It has been mentioned many times in this thread. Z states the same in his review

Sorry. I don't put much stock in Z Reviews since he thought his homemade headphone recording contraption would be effective for people to hear how headphones would sound played over a YouTube video
facepalm.gif

Tyll's measurements over at Innerfidelity (much more knowledgeable than Z Reviews) show the H1707 need only 0.07mw to reach 90db at 36 ohms. That's not very hard to drive. Although, like I said, might not be enough output on a phone to reach the volume someone wants. My S9+ gets pretty loud for me with the H1707, and adding more power isn't going to help unless I want to crank them up louder. Although certainly some people might have low end or mid level phones with audible distortion out of their headphone jack alone that might be overcome with an external amp. But it's not the more power that's helping in that instance, but rather the line output from the headphone jack is cleaner running to an an external amp than when it has to power headphones.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #699 of 1,586
Sorry. I don't put much stock in Z Reviews since he thought his homemade headphone recording contraption would be effective for people to hear how headphones would sound played over a YouTube video
facepalm.gif

Tyll's measurements over at Innerfidelity (much more knowledgeable than Z Reviews) show the H1707 need only 0.07mw to reach 90db at 36 ohms. That's not very hard to drive. Although, like I said, might not be enough output on a phone to reach the volume someone wants. My S9+ gets pretty loud for me with the H1707, and adding more power isn't going to help unless I want to crank them up louder. Although certainly some people might have low end or mid level phones with audible distortion out of their headphone jack alone that might be overcome with an external amp. But it's not the more power that's helping in that instance, but rather the line output from the headphone jack is cleaner running to an an external amp than when it has to power headphones.
Yeah, I'm still pretty new to all of this, but I'll take real world experience over specs. Specs don't tell the entire story of a set of drivers from my experience. Z review aside, this time I believe he's correct, I wouldn't purchase this can to listen from a smartphone without at least mid tier audio. My experience with my V30 is that plugged straight in, these headphones sounded like crap (very lean). In auxiliary mode they got a bit louder, but it was obvious I wasn't driving them to their full potential. I see no sense in buying a headphone if I don't have, or intend to acquire a means to get the most out of them. I feel with most every can I own, with the exception of only a few, if I'm not pushing them to at least 75% of their potential, I'm not getting the full meal deal. Just my experience. It's not just a volume thing - ymmv

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #700 of 1,586
Yeah, I'm still pretty new to all of this, but I'll take real world experience over specs. Specs don't tell the entire story of a set of drivers from my experience. Z review aside, this time I believe he's correct, I wouldn't purchase this can to listen from a smartphone without at least mid tier audio. My experience with my V30 is that plugged straight in, these headphones sounded like crap (very lean). In auxiliary mode they got a bit louder, but it was obvious I wasn't driving them to their full potential. I see no sense in buying a headphone if I don't have, or intend to acquire a means to get the most out of them. I feel with most every can I own, with the exception of only a few, if I'm not pushing them to at least 75% of their potential, I'm not getting the full meal deal. Just my experience. It's not just a volume thing - ymmv

What you are describing sounds like they would not get loud enough for your listening tastes with your phone. And by loud enough, I mean with enough headroom to properly handle the dynamics of what you listen to at the volume you want. That can make a headphone sound "lean." Whether I use my S9+ with or without my E12, if I use a moderate listening volume that is the same, there is not a great difference in overall SQ. But definitely, they can be driven louder than a phone can if that's something someone wants.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #701 of 1,586
So i was looking for something new for my current small Setup, and After reading many good review, i have ordered from amazon this headphone myself (silver version with graphene driver), and currently it's on shipment. My current setups are few years old HRT Music Streamer Pro -> Matrix M-Stage that have been running my AKG K702 and Grado SR225I for quiet sometime.

All other 1more headphones sold in my country are the Chinese Xiaomi version marketed as "Xiaomi 1more h1707"

I understand that H1707 have difference of tuning between the gold colored Chinese version and the silver US version.

However, does anyone know if the 1more quad Driver IEM Also have difference between Chinese and US version ?
Because here the quad Driver is marketed as "Xiaomi 1more E1010" with Chinese marking on the box.

Perhaps @AudiophileAri can enlighten me with my question ? :)

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #702 of 1,586
So i was looking for something new for my current small Setup, and After reading many good review, i have ordered from amazon this headphone myself (silver version with graphene driver), and currently it's on shipment. My current setups are few years old HRT Music Streamer Pro -> Matrix M-Stage that have been running my AKG K702 and Grado SR225I for quiet sometime.

All other 1more headphones sold in my country are the Chinese Xiaomi version marketed as "Xiaomi 1more h1707"

I understand that H1707 have difference of tuning between the gold colored Chinese version and the silver US version.

However, does anyone know if the 1more quad Driver IEM Also have difference between Chinese and US version ?
Because here the quad Driver is marketed as "Xiaomi 1more E1010" with Chinese marking on the box.

Perhaps @AudiophileAri can enlighten me with my question ? :)

Only one voicing on the Quad worldwide

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #703 of 1,586
Hello @AudiophileAri, I left you a PM last week. If possible, please respond. Thanks!

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #704 of 1,586
I found the mids scooped in both the Neo and 1more. Not sure which was worse, but neither was what I would consider terrible. 1more takes the cake for treble imo - not even close as far as I'm concerned. The bass in the 1more is more controlled than the Neo. The Neo is more boomy, not as tight. That being said, the bass in the 1more isn't perfectly tight. The Neo is a darker sounding can than the 1more imo. Both have stellar imaging. That's a hard call. I'd need to give them both a listen again. That being said, I sold them both and kept my B&O H6 2nd generation and Thinksound On2 for my portables

Not that I need any more headphones (and I love the 1more's - even the mids), but your praise of the On2 is intriguing, and I have heard good things about them in the past.

And now I just received Massdrop notification for the On2's for $89 US. Things that make you go "Hmmm!".

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #705 of 1,586
Not that I need any more headphones (and I love the 1more's - even the mids), but your praise of the On2 is intriguing, and I have heard good things about them in the past.

And now I just received Massdrop notification for the On2's for $89 US. Things that make you go "Hmmm!".
At 89 bucks, these are a steal. I have headphones that cost nearly 3X that, and they don't sound as good. If you need a little more motivation and convincing to pull the trigger, read the review on Digital Trends.
Massdrop kinda makes me angry sometimes. It's nice to see such a smokin deal, but it makes it hard to sell when you paid close to list price, without losing your rear end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back