1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
May 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #301 of 1,586
That’s what I meant - the inner part is probably not enough room to encompass the ear like most over ear headphones.

I have sometimes seen those referred to as "around ear"

I get too hot sometimes with them.

May 18, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #303 of 1,586
Review.

Update # - 2nd day.
Well, lo and behold, after quite a bit of steady burn in, i have noticed a slight tho definite lift and bloom of the lower mids and a modest softening of the edge regarding the somewhat glassy treble, (now that the sound of these phones has matured a bit), and the positive result is that the mids have opened up some, and are presenting themselves as mildly "rich" and sweet.
So, these just keep getting better.
This sound, in a comfortable and true over the ear design, would scare the thunder out of every $500 - $1500 set of headphones you own.
I think i see my Aeon Flow C's hiding under the bed......:)

---------------

Time to get to it, so lets do it.

So, here is my quick review of the H1707s.

During my years of audiophile experience, i've owned exactly 2 very very good on ear headphones. And i can tell you that i dont like on ear headphones, but i will own them, if they are good enough to allow me to be able to stand them for short periods.
One that fits that bill to a "T" is the Phonon SMB-02, as this is a very very good headphone. And now i've had the pleasure of letting my ears meet its match and perhaps more.. Welcome = H1707s, as you are now the only other set of on ear headphones i have ever heard that are very very good, according to what my ears need to be fed to be happy.
So, let me address what is wrong with them, and then i'll just tell you what is right with them.
What is modestly wrong with them is their fit, as they are a bit tight when strapped on, right out of the box, & their headband comfort i will grade as a "B-".
The cans get warm quickly and stay there, and the speaker design fits quite tightly against your ears.
Some would find them a bit "weighty", also, when you are strapped in.
And one other minor quibble is that their bass response, is north of neutral, but not annoying so...but, it is definitely full grown and adult sized.
Now, headphones (bands) stretch, or, bands can be bent, some weight is not too much weight, north of neutral bass can be accepted, and medium heat on the ears is not a deal breaker for me....
Thats it.
So, can you live with all that?....I can.
Now what is right with them..
A lot.

1.) Soundstage is unique, as it is like a mini Quad experience in some ways, as you seemingly "hear" from the middle of the band, vs, being in front, so, that is actually a good thing, and i vote YES.

2.) Separation of instruments and the clarity of their presentation is natural, refined, and deep.

3.) Micro detail retrieval is top notch, and there is an authority to their presentation regarding their overall balance.

4.) I would describe the tone of this set of cans as very present without being overly bright, with accurate and sprightly mids vs ultra rich mids, and i would not hesitate to tell you that if you want on ear cans that go deep, then these will take you nicely down.
The design<>tuner of these headphones, likes a sweet yet glassy clarity and listens to dub and dance-house music that likes bass, but, he didnt overcook this part of their tuning, but they, to my ear, amply applied a slight tweeky.

5.) This is a set of headphones that presents both a fun sound, very lively, and also gives you a great deal of audiophile sound.
If you are familiar with BeoPlay 6 and more recent, and like them, then you would love these, as they have a bit of the Beo's glassy clarity, but offer more bass, and a very unique "im in the center of it all" presentation regarding whatever music you will be turning yourself onto using them.

6.) One final thing they positively do well, similar to the Bose NC35s, is, when you turn them down, its still all the same. And as you know, many headphones go thin and weak when you lower their volume, and in the case of these, you can go quite low volume, perhaps not only for enjoyment, but also for the sake of hearing protection, as after all, these ARE on ear and closed, and yet they maintain for you the right tone, clarity, and balance even when turned way down.
I dont hesitate to say that they punch well above their price, play well with all musical genres`, and are $$$$$$ worth it if you have the strap on obsession and need 1More very good affordable set of Cans to get your fix.
You wont go wrong with these.

===============================================================

Is a review ever really completed? So, i wanted to add just a bit more, now that ive been comparing these 1707s, to my recent fleet of headphones, as i wanted to offer you a perspective that is not just about how they sound, as of themselves..
So, what i can tell you is that this Can has a slight push in the low trebles and in the low bass......And usually this is going to create a "V" shape, but in this case, it doesn't, as the mids are strong, and defined, and lovely.
But, there is a definite tweek tuning to the low trebles and the low bass.
These cans have more bass then Senn HD660S, or Audeze Sine's, or Aeon Closed, and in fact, its more then you find with Bose NC 35II's with the NC engaged. As a matter of fact, these have a similar but better EQ tuning then B&W P7s, and their bass, its as big as Philips X2s.....So, the 1707s are definitely fine sounding, engaging, and fun, with a ton of resolution that lets you see deep into the musical minutiae, while at the same time giving you some serious bass response.
These are not Beats, but they deliver some powerful meat regarding their bottom end response.
So, if you are not really into a big bottom, then you could easily subtract a db, obo, of bass, and you have then created them to be nothing but audiophile.

Happy listening...

fb1

-
-
DSC08604.JPG

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #305 of 1,586
Review.

---------------

Time to get to it, so lets do it.

So, here is my quick review of the H1707s.

During my years of audiophile experience, i've owned exactly 2 very very good on ear headphones. And i can tell you that i dont like on ear headphones, but i will own them, if they are good enough to allow me to be able to stand them for short periods.
One that fits that bill to a "T" is the Phonon SMB-02, as this is a very very good headphone. And now i've had the pleasure of letting my ears meet its match and perhaps more.. Welcome = H1707s, as you are now the only other set of on ear headphones i have ever heard that are very very good, according to what my ears need to be fed to be happy.
So, let me address what is wrong with them, and then i'll just tell you what is right with them.
What is modestly wrong with them is their fit, as they are a bit tight when strapped on, right out of the box, & their headband comfort i will grade as a "C".
The cans get warm quickly and stay there, and the speaker design fits quite tightly against your ears.
Some would find them a bit "weighty", also, when you are strapped in.
And one other minor quibble is that their bass response, is north of neutral, but not annoying so...but, it is definitely full grown and adult sized.
Now, headphones (bands) stretch, or, bands can be bent, some weight is not too much weight, north of neutral bass can be accepted, and medium heat on the ears is not a deal breaker for me....
Thats it.
So, can you live with all that?....I can.
Now what is right with them..
A lot.

1.) Soundstage is unique, as it is like a mini Quad experience in some ways, as you seemingly "hear" from the middle of the band, vs, being in front, so, that is actually a good thing, and i vote YES.

2.) Separation of instruments and the clarity of their presentation is natural, refined, and deep.

3.) Micro detail retrieval is top notch, and there is an authority to their presentation regarding their overall balance.

4.) I would describe the tone of this set of cans as very present without being overly bright, with accurate and sprightly mids vs ultra rich mids, and i would not hesitate to tell you that if you want on ear cans that go deep, then these will take you nicely down.
The design<>tuner of these headphones, likes a sweet yet glassy clarity and listens to dub and dance-house music that likes bass, but, he didnt overcook this part of their tuning, but they, to my ear, amply applied a slight tweeky.

5.) This is a set of headphones that presents both a fun sound, very lively, and also gives you a great deal of audiophile sound.
If you are familiar with BeoPlay 6 and more recent, and like them, then you would love these, as they have a bit of the Beo's glassy clarity, but offer more bass, and a very unique "im in the center of it all" presentation regarding whatever music you will be turning yourself onto using them.

6.) One final thing they positively do well, similar to the Bose NC35s, is, when you turn them down, its still all the same. And as you know, many headphones go thin and weak when you lower their volume, and in the case of these, you can go quite low volume, perhaps not only for enjoyment, but also for the sake of hearing protection, as after all, these ARE on ear and closed, and yet they maintain for you the right tone, clarity, and balance even when turned way down.
I dont hesitate to say that they punch well above their price, play well with all musical genres`, and are $$$$$$ worth it if you have the strap on obsession and need 1More very good affordable set of Cans to get your fix.
You wont go wrong with these.
-
-

I warned myself not to read your impressions. I failed. I really dig trance, and I think you're saying that I'd like the triples for that.

But, I also like prog. Steven Wilson sounds horrible with them, right? RIGHT?? You don't need to answer that lol.

Thanks a lot @mbwilson for pointing me in this direction - look at the lust you've inadvertantly invoked in me! (oops - don't tell hubby!)

May 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #307 of 1,586
I warned myself not to read your impressions. I failed. I really dig trance, and I think you're saying that I'd like the triples for that.

But, I also like prog. Steven Wilson sounds horrible with them, right? RIGHT?? You don't need to answer that lol.

Thanks a lot @mbwilson for pointing me in this direction - look at the lust you've inadvertantly invoked in me! (oops - don't tell hubby!)

I listened to In Absentia by Porcupine Tree today and it sounds pretty damn good on the H1707.

May 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #308 of 1,586
[QUOTE="Thanks a lot @mbwilson for pointing me in this direction - look at the lust you've inadvertantly invoked in me! (oops - don't tell hubby!)[/QUOTE]

punch.gif

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #310 of 1,586
What is modestly wrong with them is their fit, as they are a bit tight when strapped on, right out of the box, & their headband comfort i will grade as a "B-".

With no wire going through the band, it is easy and safe to bend it a bit to lessen the clamp...I had to.

May 18, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #313 of 1,586
More I read about it's treble, more I get interested in these. Also the graphene driver, never heard one.

I love the graphene driver earbuds that I have. Grrr.

May 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #314 of 1,586
This is the first and only product we have ever made without a mic box. It was a nod to audiophiles. We had hoped it would be appreciated. Feedback accepted.
I appreciate the response and don't mean to harp here but I'm not sure why there was a thought that it would be appreciated. Almost every review I've read of these lists the lack of mic/remote as a negative

May 18, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #315 of 1,586
This is the first and only product we have ever made without a mic box. It was a nod to audiophiles. We had hoped it would be appreciated. Feedback accepted.

I don't need a mic because I never listen out of a phone, but I have had some headphones come with two cables...one with mic and one without. That's always a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back