1964-q custom iems - amp required?
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kaeo

New Head-Fier
I am considering 1964-q but 46 Ohms impedance worries me. Can iPhone 4 drive this in-ears or would need an amp?
For 500 bucks a real steal, but if had to spend another 250 for an amp, I may be better with JH11 (for 850 though).

Has anyone tried 1964-q with an iPhone (or iPod Touch or similar player) without amp?

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I am considering 1964-q but 46 Ohms impedance worries me. Can iPhone 4 drive this in-ears or would need an amp?
For 500 bucks a real steal, but if had to spend another 250 for an amp, I may be better with JH11 (for 850 though).

Has anyone tried 1964-q with an iPhone (or iPod Touch or similar player) without amp?

Not requred, but an amp can push the Quad into another level of enjoyment.

The Quad sound fantastic, however, out of the iPod (I haven't heard it through the iPhone, but I would imagine the same holds true).

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Any suggestion for an amp? Preferably a portable one

I use the Fiio E5  and fiio e2 with it. I use cheap portable amps. They have great synergy with the Quad. I also have the Fiio E7. Didn't like it too much as a portable, but it's great as the DAC with my Fiio E9. The Fiio E7/E9 combination loves the 1964-Q. Really nice sound with that combination.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 6
while it isnt the same headphone, my miles davis headphones are 64ohm's and can be driven perfectly fine with my cell phone. Sometimes I use the line attenuator that comes with my TF10's to help control the interference.
I will say though, I do notice playing with the impedence via attenuators tends to change the body of the sound a little (although I wouldnt say its terribly significant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back