1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #7,277 of 9,124
  I never tried a 64Audio IEM but I need to make a decision in a day's time to either pick up Apex U12 (Like New) for $1165 or look around for a used Adel U12 or Zeus R Adel and I could use some advise from this thread members.

I tend to trust Brooko's opinion that Apex might NOT be as effective as Adel when it comes to protecting the eardrum from pressure build-up inside the ear canal and that protection feature, to me, is more important than the better isolation Apex might offer. Could a few more people express your thoughts about Adel Vs Apex, if possible, with respect to 64Audio U12 earphones, in particular? Would appreciate it very much.

Also keep in mind that 64Audio series IEMS are tuned to be used with the high impedance portable gadgets that musicians use on stage. This tuning when paired with low impedance DAP/DAC/smartphone etc creates a veiling in the sound where the bass bleeds or overpowers other frequencies. Not on all songs, but it is not the normal tuning that we tend to hear when paired with normal music devices. You need a 20 ohms impedance adapter to offset. But personally I don't like that sound after it passes through the impedance adapter. You will be better off with Empire Ears line up where I haven't seen any body reporting such tunings.
  Is it a fact that "64Audio Apex U12" model DOES NOT accept old Adel S1 or B1 or G1 or MAM modules?!

It has been stated so. But I recall Canyon Runner mentioning that the universal models were fine accepting ADEL modules and that he couldn't test the new custom models. You might want to PM him directly.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,278 of 9,124

Also keep in mind that 64Audio series IEMS are tuned to be used with the high impedance portable gadgets that musicians use on stage. This tuning when paired with low impedance DAP/DAC/smartphone etc creates a veiling in the sound where the bass bleeds or overpowers other frequencies. Not on all songs, but it is not the normal tuning that we tend to hear when paired with normal music devices. You need a 20 ohms impedance adapter to offset. But personally I don't like that sound after it passes through the impedance adapter. You will be better off with Empire Ears line up where I haven't seen any body reporting such tunings.
It has been stated so. But I recall Canyon Runner mentioning that the universal models were fine accepting ADEL modules and that he couldn't test the new custom models. You might want to PM him directly.

I remember someone mentioning that it is Adel U12 that was meant for stage performances and therefore with high impedances. Or, it it more or all the IEMs in the Universal line of theirs that come with high impedance?

Could iFi iEmatch (with High mode selected) do a decent job of any generic 20 ohm impedance adapter or the latter could be just as good in this case?

I too have this feeling that impedance adapter might not completely save the IEM from the veil and the seemingly boosted bass of U12 from leaking into mids. Wish someone could share more thoughts on this issue. (PMed CanyonRunner).

I guess I took jelt2359's impressions on A12 from his "Fit for the Bat CIEM Shoot Out" too seriously and conveniently forgot that they might not completely reflect the universal version's performance and that fact that he didn't, at that time, get a chance to compare Adel with the later year Apex.

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #7,279 of 9,124
I am still completely happy with my U12/B1 without any impedance adapter. It sounds phenomenal on any DAP.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #7,280 of 9,124
U10 with S1 and MAM modules. Zero veil. Clear as a bell.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #7,281 of 9,124
I think the problem with impendance stuff is taken a bit too far. I believe the original post mention how U12 with S1 module sounds veiled due to low impendance source, but can be workaround with higher output impendance or by using B1 module. I'm perfectly happy with U12 and B1, anything brighter than that will be a no-no for me. :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #7,282 of 9,124
I have been using Adel U12 with S1 for last 6 months. Got the B1 module few days back. Nice improvement. Better separation, more air. more clarity. The improvement is not night & day but noticeable. Only down side is cannot be used in noisy environment.

I have mild tinnitus & am very sensitive to treble glare, the S1 treble was perfect for me. So was afraid the B1 may add more treble & may become fatiguing. No such problems so far.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #7,283 of 9,124
I have been using the U12 with b1 module for the last 2-3 months. And I like them, but I wouldn't mind a little bit more clarity in the mids and highs. The bass is outstanding!

But I only notice this lack of clarity when I shift between my Solar and the U12. So generally not a problem and overall I prefer the U12. I also have mild tinitus and with long time use I get a lot more ringing with the Solar than with the U12.

Probably time to sell the Solar and buy an Empire Ears Adel. :confused:

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #7,284 of 9,124
I have been using the U12 with b1 module for the last 2-3 months. And I like them, but I wouldn't mind a little bit more clarity in the mids and highs. The bass is outstanding!

But I only notice this lack of clarity when I shift between my Solar and the U12. So generally not a problem and overall I prefer the U12. I also have mild tinitus and with long time use I get a lot more ringing with the Solar than with the U12.

Probably time to sell the Solar and buy an Empire Ears Adel. :confused:

Have you tried using an impedance adapter?

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #7,286 of 9,124
No. I have read about it but been too lazy to order one :blush:. Have you used one and if so how much difference? I remember reading it should be around 20 ohm, correct ?

I have a U10 not the U12 and even so, the impedance adapter provides some good benefits.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #7,287 of 9,124
Is it safe to say U12 is significantly smaller than the new universal Zeus or Apollo with Adel?

Do bigger size BA drivers provide better sound reproduction? Wonder why 10+ BA UIEMs are still so unwieldingly big in size even in 2017! Is U12 officially the smallest 10+ BA UIEM in the market?

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #7,288 of 9,124
Is it safe to say U12 is significantly smaller than the new universal Zeus or Apollo with Adel?

Do bigger size BA drivers provide better sound reproduction? Wonder why 10+ BA UIEMs are still so unwieldingly big in size even in 2017! Is U12 officially the smallest 10+ BA UIEM in the market?

It really depends. Many multi BA iems use dual CI drivers which are huge bass drivers as those can move some serious air. from my experience, most of the 64 models I remember do not use such drivers. Now, smaller drivers are usually not associated with the same sort of slam and kick that you can get with these CIs, but at the end of the day, 64 just might be able to tune the upcoming A18 to have that slam, we never know.

It's not necesarily better to have bigger drivers, except perhaps in the bass region if the slam is what you're after. :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #7,289 of 9,124
I've both APEX and ADEL and have used both. No ear fatigue when using ADEL. APEX or IEMS with no APEX/ADEL, my ears get tired after an hour or so of listening. Not so with ADEL. Plus nor more ringing in my ears. 

Me too. The shame is that I prefer the frequency response afforded by APEX to the B1 ADEL.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #7,290 of 9,124
I want to report my experience about the U12.
I just sold the U12 eventhough I love them a lot, they are almost perfect, my best purchase sofar, but the bass is a bit soft for my liking (it doesnt punch hard and fast). I've used the S1 module with upgrade cables mention before (DHC sp4 and Uber cable), I havn't found the sound congest or have any issues like people said (especially with the Uber cable and the O2 amp). I used to try the Mam but I've found it cant fix the bass impact problems, even the S1 doesn't give me enough bass impact (I used to own these iems K10,Tralucent ref1too,asg2.5, Roxanne so you know what I mean).  Actually I have found that both the U8 and  strangely the custom V6stage have more bass impact. I've tried the Andromedra today again and I think I'm going to buy them or the Vega (wait for the Demo). Overall I think I like the bass of andromedra more because it's impact full and fast, but Vocal, imaging, layer of instruments and almost everthing else the U12 are superior to my ears (andro seems to have more detail at the top end, people who like bright iems will love them). By the way the andromedra is fine iems, they are not far behind the U12, that why I plan to buy them (I really thing the andro can be one of the alternative of the U12's complement iems, if you listen to them side by side you will fine it's different enough ).  
Additional info about the andro, Andromedra is prone to sibilance somehow, the owner must find the matching dap. The Questyle QP1r pairs so well with them, but with the HM901 with balance card , the combination is somehow too bright to my ears, even with foamtip and uber cable, which sounds softer than the stock cable. ( Questyle QP1r and HM901 balance are both in the warm side, but the treble of HM901 is not as smooth as the Questyle )

I like to say that I really wish that the bass presentation of the U12 is like the iems mentioned above. My priority is bass impact not the bass notes (U12 have super detail bass). My last hope in the next few months is the Vega (Layla and Zeus are far over budget), I've heard they have a lot of deep bass, but I have to see if theirs bass is fast enough for my liking.

About the cable, the DHC sp8 (bright, superdetail, may be harsh with some iems) pair well with the U12 (smooth). THe uber cable (clear but smooth, with more bottom end) pair well with the Andromedra (bright).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back