1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 26, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #7,156 of 9,124
I just received my A10 modules yesterday.... review coming next week, as I am awaiting my arrival of M15 modules to give an impression of the M20 vs M15 vs ADEL B1...:)

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #7,157 of 9,124
  Ok, I think one thing that is being left out of this discussion is that the way the membrane interacts with your body. This is not some something that you plug in and works the same way with everybody's ears across the board. The way ADEL works, goes much deeper than that. This is why you're able to match the second ear drum to your bodies eardrums impedance. Each inner ear is different. This is why you do not tune the MAMs as a pair, you tune them to each ear. If you take them out and put them in your friends IEMs, they will not hear the same effects that you are (not exactly anyways, maybe close). 

This is why when you have the membrane untensioned, it is floppy, for some people's ears its more floppy than others. If you want the ambient ports open but want bass? Dial the thumbscrews all the way in, this is ambient ports open with tension on the membrane which is only a tiny tiny bit less bass than the module being fully closed (like -1db, most people can't tell the difference). With no tension on the membrane, this is actually the least bassy position because that membrane is absorbing that pressure as much as it can, rather than bouncing it back like a trampoline like it does when it's tensioned. 

So it's not so much a design flaw, rather just setting them incorrectly for the desired results. 

Certainly for me I don't fully understand exactly what is going onwith the MAM technology and how the ear canal can also influence things. When I heard the vibration in the left ear it really did sound like something was damaged. Saying that I've not encountered this problem since, but I don't think i've played any bass heavy music. With the information you provided above, I think I'll need to revisit that track in particular and have a play with the MAMs. I genuinly though that each MAM would need to be adjusted the same, but that is not the case.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll see how I get one over the next few days.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #7,158 of 9,124

Certainly for me I don't fully understand exactly what is going onwith the MAM technology and how the ear canal can also influence things. When I heard the vibration in the left ear it really did sound like something was damaged. Saying that I've not encountered this problem since, but I don't think i've played any bass heavy music. With the information you provided above, I think I'll need to revisit that track in particular and have a play with the MAMs. I genuinly though that each MAM would need to be adjusted the same, but that is not the case.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll see how I get one over the next few days.

Ok he's an example that I was considering using earlier but I didn't want to introduce it and further add to confusion, but here it goes.

I have no idea about your background in car world (if there is any), but HKS (high performance tuning company out of Japan) uses this in-line parallel resonator to help tweak their exhaust sound signature. 

Using ADEL is sorta similar. You have a trapped volume within the ear canal, IEM sealing to the ear canal then to the ear drum. Now with ADEL you have this additional chamber to that trapped volume, with the modules you can control how that pressure fluctuation/resonance of the chamber between the speakers and your ear drum. When you make the membrane extra floppy, that bottom end drops off dramatically because that energy is just being absorbed, but as soon as you tension it, that energy cant bounce back. This is actually a HUGE part of the science behind what we're doing with the ADEL Drum and how we're able to get so much bottom end by adjusting the tension on the membrane.

Here is a video that Nils did explaining ADEL, but it's relevant for the sake of how ADEL controls the resonance (the plastic bottle part of the video)

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #7,161 of 9,124
Really nice IEM - but I've answered my question.  For me the U6 is better aligned to my personal tastes.
[/quote] Hi Brooko , I have the U4se(sold my U10s, the u4se perfect for me) I use the L3 dap , would you recommend an impedance adapter? Cheers

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #7,162 of 9,124
Really nice IEM - but I've answered my question.  For me the U6 is better aligned to my personal tastes.
Hi Brooko , I have the U4se(sold my U10s, the u4se perfect for me) I use the L3 dap , would you recommend an impedance adapter? Cheers[/quote]
No impedance adapter required as these were tuned for audiophiles

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #7,163 of 9,124
Hi Brooko , I have the U4se(sold my U10s, the u4se perfect for me) I use the L3 dap , would you recommend an impedance adapter? Cheers
No impedance adapter required as these were tuned for audiophiles[/quote]

However using the impedance adapter gives a much better audio output. I use the 20 ohm impedance adapter.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #7,164 of 9,124
  Thanks Canyon Runner for the details and the video. I'm a big fan and user of MAMs. No more ringing in my ears after I started using it and the sound quality is awesome (open sounding without the negatives of open sounding headphones). Wish more and more IEM manufacturers use this technology.

We are launching the entire Olympus Series with ADEL with Empire. Tons of info and anticipation over on the the Empire thread. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #7,165 of 9,124
Hi, I got the ADEL U6 from massdrop. Can anyone recommend an impedance adapter for this? Does it need an adapter in the first place?

It came with the S1 module and I feel it has too much bass and sound somewhat closed compared to my LCD-2 (duh it's an open hp).

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #7,166 of 9,124
Oct 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #7,167 of 9,124
Oct 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #7,168 of 9,124
After a few weeks of listening to my U10, I'm noticing that there is a bit of a lack of air in the upper frequencies, and there is a particular high frequency range that is a bit soft for my tastes. Everything else sounds awesome. 

Would going to different tips than the stock Comply's boost the treble a bit?

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #7,169 of 9,124
  After a few weeks of listening to my U10, I'm noticing that there is a bit of a lack of air in the upper frequencies, and there is a particular high frequency range that is a bit soft for my tastes. Everything else sounds awesome. 

Would going to different tips than the stock Comply's boost the treble a bit?

I find comply kill the treble. If you are using foam, try using silicone. I love JVC Spiral Dots with 64 stuff. The bore is big enough to completely get out of the way of the nozzle and let the iem do its thing.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #7,170 of 9,124
  I find comply kill the treble. If you are using foam, try using silicone. I love JVC Spiral Dots with 64 stuff. The bore is big enough to completely get out of the way of the nozzle and let the iem do its thing.

That was the impression that I've read before, always heard that they were treble killers, and I'm just looking for a bit more air and treble emphasis. Glad to hear that JVC spiral dots fit our IEMs. Will be my next purchase.

If the medium Comply's fit me well, would the medium spiral dot be similar in size?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back