1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #7,126 of 9,124
Well then that is perfect... I will do an extended listening session on both the Apex and ADEL modules to see how they compare... I thought maybe the new A/U series were tuned specifically for the APEX modules, and that's why they weren't backwards compatible with ADEL tech... but once I get my A10 I can find all that out... suhweet...

Pay close attention the fluttery feeling in your ear canal produced by excessive pneumatic pressure-namely bass, I would suggest EQ'ing the bass up and then compare APEX to ADEL.  I have come to love the pressure release of my MAMs so much that I can't go back to anything non pressure regulated.  I have zero fatigue with all my ADEL modules and I listen 8-10 hours a day every day, for over a year now.  Also my tinnitus is gone.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #7,127 of 9,124
Brooko

Which ADEL module sounds closest to M20 in your experience?

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #7,128 of 9,124
The modules are definitely different (M20 vs Adel) for me.  Big ups for 64Audio in sending me their demo set of U10s - I should have the write-up completed by next week (hopefully).

Love the tuning of the M20 - combination with the U10 and an impedance adaptor suits my preferences down to the ground.  The issue I have had is that for long listening sessions, I start getting ear fatigue with the M20.  If I use the B1 or S1 I don't.  I've been walking a lot with the U10 the last couple of weeks - anything from an hour to a little over 2 hours at a time.  Listening level my usual 65-75dB range.  With the U10 and M20 my tinnitus has been a little more pronounced than usual, and I've had that "occlusion effect" where one ear almost feels as though it's blocked for a while afterwards. If I do the exact same walk with the B1 in place I get less tinnitus flare, and no issues with occlusion.  I thought for a start it might be simply the way I'm feeling on a particular day - but the results have been consistent.

I think Videl or christopherogut actually mentioned that they used a different system (which makes sense considering the patents), and again from memory I think their system was some sort of polymer damping material.  If that's the case - then it'll be allowing some of the sound waves to vent, or it's simply acting as an acoustical damper. But I don't think its having the same effect as Adel's second eardrum. At least its not for me anyway.  Its a pity too because one of the best things with the M20 was they way they essentially shielded the vent to cut down on any outside air or wind noise (brilliant).

For me though - it was the tech and the benefits that grabbed my attention from day one.  And unless 64Audio can reassure that its doing same or better job than the Asius Adel modules (and that means producing independent papers etc), I'll stick with the 64Audio monitors + Adel modules.  My ears tell me this is the way to go anyway.  My U6 is still favourite IEM!

So the Adel modules worm fine in the new apex monitors? That would be great as I love the 64 audio tuning and the b1 module.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #7,129 of 9,124
Guys - the demo version of the U10 I'm reviewing is the original style - so both modules fit.  I can't comment on any new builds - as I simply don't know.  The Apex module is slightly smaller in diameter than the original Adel module.  If they shrink the socket to fit the Apex modules tighter - then at that stage, Adel won't fit.  So for anyone ordering now - you'd probably want to check what 64Audio's plans are in that regard.

@Brooko

Which ADEL module sounds closest to M20 in your experience?

Closest would be the S1.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #7,131 of 9,124
  In my experience, they fit right in to the APEX socket. Waiting to hear back from those with APEX-era CIEMs, to confirm but on all the universals I've played with, it's the same sized socket.

That is really good to hear. Love the 64 tuning and love the Asius modules.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #7,133 of 9,124
Quick question is there any difference between APEX and ADEL?

Yes. They are entirely different. This has been covered pretty extensively on this thread if you go back through the pages since it's launch. 

With apex you don't get the ADEL technology, nor it's benefits.

Mod edit - removed comparison of other company's IEM - which MoT's cannot do

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #7,134 of 9,124
In my experience the "soundstage" is proportional to how relaxed my ear is. B1 is a clear winner for that purpose. B1 manages to convince my brain that the 3D space is the widest compared to all other modules I have (S1/G1/M20).

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #7,136 of 9,124
[Mod Comment]

I just edited a couple of posts.  Things to keep in mind:
  • Sponsors and MoTs are allowed to answer questions based on fact - but they can't compare their own products subjectively to a competitors.
  • Because of point one - please don't ask them to. They're breaking the rules if they respond.
  • Owners of the IEM can give their own subjective opinions
  • I have left Canyon Runners reply on the factual differences - and you can get more info here:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/5925#post_12765391
    No, the material in the apex module is not a membrane and does not infringe on ADEL or any of Asius's patents.

The material used in the apex module inside the pressure release mechanism is a certain kind of a multi-cell thermoplastic elastomer (aka TPE). Different material and a different system for mitigating pneumatic pressure but still achieves the same goal while improving on things like isolation and consistency of production. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #7,137 of 9,124
/owners comment 
smile.gif

I addressed this earlier - but I'll restate - and this is just my own experience:

Quick question is there any difference between APEX and ADEL?

Yes - there is a difference.  Adel uses the patented membrane system.  Apex uses an acoustic damper and vent. I've been testing the U10 (graciously supplied by 64Audio - thanks Vitaliy and team!) for the last 3 weeks - and it comes with the Apex modules.  I've been able to test it up against the various Adel modules, and also compared with my U6.

IMO - the tuning is great with Apex, and the way they've situated the vent to cut down wind interference when outside is brilliant. But after 3 weeks with both:
  1. I still get some ear fatigue and lingering occlusion effects with Apex & I don't get this with Adel
  2. My tinnitus tends to flare more after a longer session with Apex, where it doesn't with Adel
  3. Adel (to me) sounds very slightly more open
  4. Apex tuning is really good and gives you slightly more isolation

If you're into it just for the tuning and reasonably open sound - Apex is hard to go past.  As yet there is no data to suggest it is having the same effects as Adel regarding protecting your hearing / lessening pneumatic pressure to same extent Adel does.  I am yet to see independent studies or scientific papers supporting any claims anyway.

If you're like me and the actual Adel tech and hearing protection/preservation was one of the primary drivers for getting the 64Audio Adel series - then stick with the Adel modules.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #7,138 of 9,124
  /owners comment 
smile.gif

I addressed this earlier - but I'll restate - and this is just my own experience:

Yes - there is a difference.  Adel uses the patented membrane system.  Apex uses an acoustic damper and vent. I've been testing the U10 (graciously supplied by 64Audio - thanks Vitaliy and team!) for the last 3 weeks - and it comes with the Apex modules.  I've been able to test it up against the various Adel modules, and also compared with my U6.

IMO - the tuning is great with Apex, and the way they've situated the vent to cut down wind interference when outside is brilliant. But after 3 weeks with both:
  1. I still get some ear fatigue and lingering occlusion effects with Apex & I don't get this with Adel
  2. My tinnitus tends to flare more after a longer session with Apex, where it doesn't with Adel
  3. Adel (to me) sounds very slightly more open
  4. Apex tuning is really good and gives you slightly more isolation

If you're into it just for the tuning and reasonably open sound - Apex is hard to go past.  As yet there is no data to suggest it is having the same effects as Adel regarding protecting your hearing / lessening pneumatic pressure to same extent Adel does.  I am yet to see independent studies or scientific papers supporting any claims anyway.

If you're like me and the actual Adel tech and hearing protection/preservation was one of the primary drivers for getting the 64Audio Adel series - then stick with the Adel modules.

Thanks Brooko for the explanation. I haven't yet listened to APEX module in longer sessions. I just don't want to take the MAMs out. I liked the sound on APEX M20 better than S1, but haven't listened longer on it. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #7,140 of 9,124
Experiencing an issue with the MAMs on myU8. There seems to be some sort of vibration coming for the left one.

I've not used my earphones for about 6 weeks or so, but they have been kept securely in the supplied case.

After opening the ports even slightly, you can hear a vibration coming from the left ear. This is more apparent when listening to bass heavy music. Almost as if something loose is flapping around inside the MAM. This issue cannot be reproduced with the right MAM.

Also when walking, you can also hear a vibration in the left MAM.

When the ports are fully closed (max bass) this issue also cannot be reproduced.

I don't know that much about the ADEL technology in detail, it it would seem to me as if the membrane in the left MAM is faulty.

I'm going to contact Asius about it, but has anyone else experienced shame issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back