1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7,111 of 9,124
Oh, I always thought they worked the same way. Now that I see the APEX explanation again, there is no mention of membrane that act like secondary ear drum like ADEL was. Thanks for clarifying this.
smily_headphones1.gif

So are the results the same in terms of the pneumatic pressure relief?  Or is handled better than the ADEL technology?

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #7,112 of 9,124
So are the results the same in terms of the pneumatic pressure relief?  Or is handled better than the ADEL technology?

I have no idea yet, I suppose it should be about the same. My m20 module is coming (along with B1), so I'll get a better idea when they arrives.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7,113 of 9,124

Oh, I always thought they worked the same way. Now that I see the APEX explanation again, there is no mention of membrane that act like secondary ear drum like ADEL was. Thanks for clarifying this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just as jeffri pointed out above, I don't believe it was mentioned by 64 audio team that APEX is using the same technology as ADEL; after all, it's part of Asius Tech (inventors of ADEL) research and I'm sure it's copyrighted.  But different technologies can yield a similar sound result when you try to match the tuning of FR curve.  And I was able to confirm that by comparing M20 to S1/B1/G1 in my write up here.  But I can only judge about the sound sig, not the pneumatic pressure relief.  For that I have to rely on the research data provided by the companies.  Average listener can only judge if sound is better or worse, and I would leave the explanation about the ear health to the experts in that field. 

But hey, it's just a module, and you can either get APEX or ADEL to try and see how it works out for you.  I don't have the latest 64 Audio shell, but it makes me wonder since M20 goes in without a problem into the original A-/U-series shell if the same is true with ADEL module going into the new A-/U-shell?  Can anybody confirm?  Would have been great if it's true, allowing more modules to benefit the sound of 64 Audio iems/ciems!
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #7,114 of 9,124

We have had people reach out complaining about ear fatigue after giving the APEX a try for extended listening periods. So you can kinda draw your own conclusion from there... You can replicate the sound, but you can't replicate the research and science behind ADEL.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #7,115 of 9,124
We have had people reach out complaining about ear fatigue after giving the APEX a try for extended listening periods. So you can kinda draw your own conclusion from there... You can replicate the sound, but you can't replicate the research and science behind ADEL.

Has anyone who ordered a set after the split tried to put an ADEL module in place of an Apex?

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7,117 of 9,124
The modules are definitely different (M20 vs Adel) for me.  Big ups for 64Audio in sending me their demo set of U10s - I should have the write-up completed by next week (hopefully).

Love the tuning of the M20 - combination with the U10 and an impedance adaptor suits my preferences down to the ground.  The issue I have had is that for long listening sessions, I start getting ear fatigue with the M20.  If I use the B1 or S1 I don't.  I've been walking a lot with the U10 the last couple of weeks - anything from an hour to a little over 2 hours at a time.  Listening level my usual 65-75dB range.  With the U10 and M20 my tinnitus has been a little more pronounced than usual, and I've had that "occlusion effect" where one ear almost feels as though it's blocked for a while afterwards. If I do the exact same walk with the B1 in place I get less tinnitus flare, and no issues with occlusion.  I thought for a start it might be simply the way I'm feeling on a particular day - but the results have been consistent.

I think Videl or christopherogut actually mentioned that they used a different system (which makes sense considering the patents), and again from memory I think their system was some sort of polymer damping material.  If that's the case - then it'll be allowing some of the sound waves to vent, or it's simply acting as an acoustical damper. But I don't think its having the same effect as Adel's second eardrum. At least its not for me anyway.  Its a pity too because one of the best things with the M20 was they way they essentially shielded the vent to cut down on any outside air or wind noise (brilliant).

For me though - it was the tech and the benefits that grabbed my attention from day one.  And unless 64Audio can reassure that its doing same or better job than the Asius Adel modules (and that means producing independent papers etc), I'll stick with the 64Audio monitors + Adel modules.  My ears tell me this is the way to go anyway.  My U6 is still favourite IEM!

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #7,118 of 9,124
The modules are definitely different (M20 vs Adel) for me.  Big ups for 64Audio in sending me their demo set of U10s - I should have the write-up completed by next week (hopefully).

Love the tuning of the M20 - combination with the U10 and an impedance adaptor suits my preferences down to the ground.  The issue I have had is that for long listening sessions, I start getting ear fatigue with the M20.  If I use the B1 or S1 I don't.  I've been walking a lot with the U10 the last couple of weeks - anything from an hour to a little over 2 hours at a time.  Listening level my usual 65-75dB range.  With the U10 and M20 my tinnitus has been a little more pronounced than usual, and I've had that "occlusion effect" where one ear almost feels as though it's blocked for a while afterwards. If I do the exact same walk with the B1 in place I get less tinnitus flare, and no issues with occlusion.  I thought for a start it might be simply the way I'm feeling on a particular day - but the results have been consistent.

I think Videl or christopherogut actually mentioned that they used a different system (which makes sense considering the patents), and again from memory I think their system was some sort of polymer damping material.  If that's the case - then it'll be allowing some of the sound waves to vent, or it's simply acting as an acoustical damper. But I don't think its having the same effect as Adel's second eardrum. At least its not for me anyway.  Its a pity too because one of the best things with the M20 was they way they essentially shielded the vent to cut down on any outside air or wind noise (brilliant).

For me though - it was the tech and the benefits that grabbed my attention from day one.  And unless 64Audio can reassure that its doing same or better job than the Asius Adel modules (and that means producing independent papers etc), I'll stick with the 64Audio monitors + Adel modules.  My ears tell me this is the way to go anyway.  My U6 is still favourite IEM!

Ah this is what I was worried about. The pneumatic pressure has always been my selling point for sticking with 64 audio...

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #7,119 of 9,124
Well you can still use the Adel modules - that way you get the tuning of the 64Audio IEMs and the benefits of the Adel module. No harm in still using both companies products as long as you are happy with the result.

I actually like the tuning of the M20 (especially with the U10) - it's just that I was expecting the Adel and Apex modules to do exactly the same thing.  IMO they don't unfortunately.  Apex is essentially an acoustic damper - not a second eardrum - as far as I can tell anyway.

If you're not worried about the science and proposed hearing health benefits, and simply want the sound - the Apex is really, really good.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7,120 of 9,124
  Well you can still use the Adel modules - that way you get the tuning of the 64Audio IEMs and the benefits of the Adel module. No harm in still using both companies products as long as you are happy with the result.

I actually like the tuning of the M20 (especially with the U10) - it's just that I was expecting the Adel and Apex modules to do exactly the same thing.  IMO they don't unfortunately.  Apex is essentially an acoustic damper - not a second eardrum - as far as I can tell anyway.

If you're not worried about the science and proposed hearing health benefits, and simply want the sound - the Apex is really, really good.

I have the m20 and the B1 for my U4SE but have not had a long enough listening session to distinguish the longer term design differences.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7,121 of 9,124
I have S1 and G1 modules for my U4-SE. I definitely notice, and appreciate, the ADEL effect; I've got an issue with pressure in my right ear, I think, resulting in tinnitus. The U4 isn't just non-fatiguing, it actually makes my ear feel better for a while. Makes other IEMs more comfortable too.

But, the APEX design certainly looks better for dealing with wind noise, and while I find the S1 module is fine (just walked back to work with my lunch in a steady head-wind, although to be fair the noise is worse when blowing straight in on the side), the G1 is essentially unusable in any breeze (of course with the relatively low isolation thats not what its designed for anyway). @Brooko - how does the MAM fare in this regard?

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #7,122 of 9,124

Paul, sounds like ADEL module works fine with new A-/U-series shell, right?  If so, this is a great news!

At the end of the day it's all about the sound, regardless of the module combination.  And if you need benefits of pneumatic pressure relief you can still buy Adel modules.
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #7,123 of 9,124
I have the m20 and the B1 for my U4SE but have not had a long enough listening session to distinguish the longer term design differences.

The challenge is I ordered the A10 a few weeks ago, but it's coming with Apex modules, so if what has been said, it won't be backwards compatible with ADEL modules... if it is fact still backwards compatible, then i won't be as worried... the pneumatic pressure relief is top priority for me as I do use them for extended listening (4+ hours).

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #7,125 of 9,124
All the ones I've tested, the ADEL modules fit right in to APEXs spot. No fitment difference. And yes, they were new "APEX era" IEMs, not the older ones.

Well then that is perfect... I will do an extended listening session on both the Apex and ADEL modules to see how they compare... I thought maybe the new A/U series were tuned specifically for the APEX modules, and that's why they weren't backwards compatible with ADEL tech... but once I get my A10 I can find all that out... suhweet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back