1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #4,666 of 9,124
I think it's only for the A10/A12 kickstarter backers. Others will be able to buy it later.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Js50z (not my pictures)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1043330169/realloud-technology-that-saves-your-hearing-and-yo/comments

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,669 of 9,124
I think it's only for the A10/A12 kickstarter backers. Others will be able to buy it later.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Js50z (not my pictures)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1043330169/realloud-technology-that-saves-your-hearing-and-yo/comments

Please give impression of the MAM as soon as you tried them out 
gs1000.gif
 CAn't wait for your opinion

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #4,670 of 9,124
I had no idea there were demo units, I'll have to get on that list as I'm considering A10 as well.

Just give them a call. U10 demo is not in high demand as much as the 12s. So you should be able to get them fairly soon. And based on what you said the other day about the veil on the A12, I think you might like the U10.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #4,671 of 9,124
Just give them a call. U10 demo is not in high demand as much as the 12s. So you should be able to get them fairly soon. And based on what you said the other day about the veil on the A12, I think you might like the U10.

I tried eq'ing the a12's for fun to see if I could get them flat. I'm a noob though and I found listening for dips and spikes to be difficult using test tones in jriver with a vst equalizer plugin. Maybe someday i'll learn to eq!

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #4,672 of 9,124
I tried eq'ing the a12's for fun to see if I could get them flat. I'm a noob though and I found listening for dips and spikes to be difficult using test tones in jriver with a vst equalizer plugin. Maybe someday i'll learn to eq!

I am no expert in EQ either. But here's something I tried for the A12. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #4,673 of 9,124
@twister6 , when you had the A12 with you and compared it side by side with your U12, did the bass quantity differ by a significant margin between the 2?

The reason I am asking is, I like the bass quantity on the U10 and wouldn't mind if the A10 ended up with a bit more bass. So I am planning on ordering the A10.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,674 of 9,124
@twister6
 , when you had the A12 with you and compared it side by side with your U12, did the bass quantity differ by a significant margin between the 2?

The reason I am asking is, I like the bass quantity on the U10 and wouldn't mind if the A10 ended up with a bit more bass. So I am planning on ordering the A10.

Thanks for your help!

It wasn't very significant but definitely noticeable. Keep in mind we are probably not talking about the real bass quantity difference, but rather a looser seal of universal U12 which gives you less bass. By the same token, A10 might do the trick for you.

Btw, in my opinion, X3ii is an OK source for U12, but not the best (I mentioned that in my review as well).

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #4,675 of 9,124
It wasn't very significant but definitely noticeable. Keep in mind we are probably not talking about the real bass quantity difference, but rather a looser seal of universal U12 which gives you less bass. By the same token, A10 might do the trick for you.

Btw, in my opinion, X3ii is an OK source for U12, but not the best (I mentioned that in my review as well).

Thanks Alex. Yes, I am under the same impression.

I get what you are saying about the X3ii. I felt that too. Like it is holding the U10 back from reaching its full potential, especially in the transparency department. Until now, I have only used the IE80 with the X3ii, and it did a great job driving the IE80. I am planning on getting either a DP-X1 or a Mojo or a Fiio X7 in the near future.

If it's not too much to ask, could you please check something for me, when time permits? On your U12, can you insert the Auto ADEL Module less than half way through into the socket of the IEM, so that only the first rubber ring is inside the IEM, and check if you hear any difference between this position and the fully inserted position. If you do hear a difference, is this the effect what you are observing using the MAMs but to a greater extent?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Something like this: 

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #4,676 of 9,124
As you know, when doing a review, the associated equipment is important. 

I have the A12's and as much as I liked them, I felt that the bass cast a veil over the entire music. I was using a Calyx M DAP. It has a rich but warm sound. However paired with a warm IEM (A12) it was too much. I tired a silver Litz cable and it helped. 

I them bought a used 901 with minibox card and now that veil is almost all gone. I am satisfied with it. Excellent bass and soundstage.

To take this a step further, when I plug the A12 in my home system (Meitner DAC, Aurender server, Violectric amp), there is no veil whatsoever.

Btw, in EagleWings review he mentioned that soundstage was very good on some songs, but not on others. That's the fault of the recording and not the IEM. If it is good on a song, then it has demonstrated it can achieve good soundstageing. It didn't just get bad because the song changed.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #4,677 of 9,124

As you know, when doing a review, the associated equipment is important. 

I have the A12's and as much as I liked them, I felt that the bass cast a veil over the entire music. I was using a Calyx M DAP. It has a rich but warm sound. However paired with a warm IEM (A12) it was too much. I tired a silver Litz cable and it helped

I them bought a used 901 with minibox card and now that veil is almost all gone. I am satisfied with it. Excellent bass and soundstage.

To take this a step further, when I plug the A12 in my home system (Meitner DAC, Aurender server, Violectric amp), there is no veil whatsoever.

A fair point.

1. But please understand my impressions (not a review) was a comparison of the A12 and the A10. I was running both A10 and A12 from the same Average source. And my intention was to compare the 2 IEMs and point out the Pros and Cons of each. I have stressed on the Cons because I felt www.inearspace.com's review lacked that part as he purchased both the IEMS. When someone spends close to $2K on an IEM, I am sure they will want to know what they are getting into. Hopefully my impressions will help them make an informed decision between the A10 and A12. Never in my review did I mention one is superior over the other. I believe I was being fair to both IEMs. I am planning on getting the A10 because, that is what works for me. 

2. As much as I believe in Synergy between the source and the headphones, I don't think one should go through the trouble of changing every entity in his/her setup to get that perfect sound. A better setup will definitely yield a good result, but not everyone who buy an expensive IEM will want to change their setup. In fact, I met someone in a Head-Fi meet who bought a SE-5 Ultimate and uses it exclusively with his smartphone. He said he would never buy a DAP or a DAC. Everyone's mileage varies.

3. Regarding the veil, I am not the first or the only person who felt that A12 has a veil. May be these people who feel the A12 has a veil will be better served with the A10. I am not trying to downplay A12, I am just A12 and A10 each has their own strengths and has their preferred audience. There are plenty other people here who love their A12, who might not like the A10.

Btw, in EagleWings review he mentioned that soundstage was very good on some songs, but not on others. That's the fault of the recording and not the IEM. If it is good on a song, then it has demonstrated it can achieve good soundstageing. It didn't just get bad because the song changed.

I see soundstage as a characteristic of an IEM and much less a fault. My Nissan Altima cannot go as fast as a Ferrari. That is not the fault of the Altima. Its just what it can do and I don't complain about it. I have had the opportunity to hear other Headphones/IEMs that had a wider soundstage on the songs that the A10 and A12 had an average soundstage. I am not complaining about it, just an observation. But again we are talking about subjective things that we all hear and feel differently. So YMMV.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,678 of 9,124
Lol all this soundstage talk. I like iems on the go, but they can't beat speakers in this aspect. You can fault the recording but its just a fact the soundstage will be bigger on headphones like hd800 and speakers. If your room is good enough and you listen primarily at home...just get eve sc208s(same price as a12s)...but if you travel a lot like me, then there is no choice but iems.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #4,679 of 9,124
Lol all this soundstage talk. I like iems on the go, but they can't beat speakers in this aspect. You can fault the recording but its just a fact the soundstage will be bigger on headphones like hd800 and speakers. If your room is good enough and you listen primarily at home...just get eve sc208s(same price as a12s)...but if you travel a lot like me, then there is no choice but iems.

That's a pretty odd thing to say on a Head Fi forum and an IEM thread.

Btw, my couch at home is more comfortable than my motorcycle seat.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #4,680 of 9,124

Thanks Alex. Yes, I am under the same impression.

I get what you are saying about the X3ii. I felt that too. Like it is holding the U10 back from reaching its full potential, especially in the transparency department. Until now, I have only used the IE80 with the X3ii, and it did a great job driving the IE80. I am planning on getting either a DP-X1 or a Mojo or a Fiio X7 in the near future.

If it's not too much to ask, could you please check something for me, when time permits? On your U12, can you insert the Auto ADEL Module less than half way through into the socket of the IEM, so that only the first rubber ring is inside the IEM, and check if you hear any difference between this position and the fully inserted position. If you do hear a difference, is this the effect what you are observing using the MAMs but to a greater extent?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Something like this: 

That's not really how it works. You won't notice much of a difference by pulling it half way out. I know both Alex & I have done that on the testing benches just out of curiosity and as long as the module is sealing, then it'll be like a normal Auto Module. You're changing the space/volume in the ear canal/iem sealed area, but not the tension on the membrane or the amount of ambient porting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back