1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 14, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #4,051 of 9,124
  But that's the point of it, to be able to adjust the tension of the membrane to suit the current pressure of the ear canal, since it fluctuates based on your bodies current state, like if you were listening to them at your desk, then go out for a run, your heart rate goes up, the MAM allows you to find the best listening spot given the bodies change. Plus, you can change based upon your listening environment (wanting isolation or what not).

We're not talking night and day changes by adjusting, think small tweek to suit your needs better and/or to suit your ear. Kinda like tightening your shoe laces, it's not going to give you a new shoe, but there's certainly a sweet spot for various activities and the MAM allows you to have control over that. Rather than a one-size-fits-all.

Gotcha.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,052 of 9,124
Obviously I don't have the manual modules yet, but my assumption is after you play around with the setting after you receive it, you won't be fiddling with it later on. Once you find your sweet spot, that will be it.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #4,054 of 9,124
  We've been building like crazy. Currently have 300 pairs built on the desk that just need membranes put on and they're ready to get out the door to you Backers. We were hoping to get an update up on Friday but ran into a snag with something else. Originally they were going to trickle out, but because of those snags, it's allowed us to stockpile the MAMs for more of a shot gun blast type shipping approach (a ton at once, rather than a handful going out daily). 

Just ordered my A8's (auto's I assume) and shipped out new impressions to WA...  now starts the waiting!

Still, my Qi's will do the job for the 10+ gigs I'll get thru before the A8's arrive!!  
Can't wait!

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #4,056 of 9,124
Thanks for replying Canyon Runner.

With the ADEL module in play the resonance then gets lower in frequency, correct?  Doesn't that mean there will be a frequency peak somewhere in the bass or midbass region?

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,057 of 9,124
  I also prefer mine all the way fully opened.
I perceive it like that as well. Around the middle I perceive least amount of bass. It's kinda strange that all the way opened doesn't give you the least bass, but I feel that on the U8s, you get a nice amount of bass + the most open sound among the settings. By the way, I don't think the Auto module is set to what would amount the "middle" setting on the MAM, because I just switched to it over the weekend and had significantly more bass than how I like it fully opened with the MAMs. 

beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #4,058 of 9,124
I got the second set of Adel MAMs.

Before I start - these are really hard to measure.  I' not sure if it is the Adel module that's making it so hard - but if I use 16K FFTs with pink noise the bass drops off the map (down 30 dB when you open it right up), and I know from listening to them, that this simply doesn't happen.

So I had to use 32K FFTs and full freq sine waves and I suspect they are more accurate - but again, this is pretty much guess work.  What it will show is how much the modules can change things. So each line is a quarter turn.  These are my U6s.

I've tried to show each quarter turn of the module.  So Q1 is one quarter turn from the module fully closed, and maximum bass. Q10 is the module fully open.

What I will say though is that I don't hear as much change (as shown on the graph) when I'm actually adjusting the modules, so again I wonder if there is an interaction with the ear that I'm unable to actually measure.There are definitely audible changes though - and mainly around the sub-bass.

For me personally (with the U6) I'm mainly sitting somewhere between Q2 and Q3 on the graph - flattens the bass out and lifts the mid-range a bit.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #4,059 of 9,124
I got the second set of Adel MAMs.

Before I start - these are really hard to measure.  I' not sure if it is the Adel module that's making it so hard - but if I use 16K FFTs with pink noise the bass drops off the map (down 30 dB when you open it right up), and I know from listening to them, that this simply doesn't happen.

So I had to use 32K FFTs and full freq sine waves and I suspect they are more accurate - but again, this is pretty much guess work.  What it will show is how much the modules can change things. So each line is a quarter turn.  These are my U6s.

I've tried to show each quarter turn of the module.  So Q1 is one quarter turn from the module fully closed, and maximum bass. Q10 is the module fully open.

What I will say though is that I don't hear as much change (as shown on the graph) when I'm actually adjusting the modules, so again I wonder if there is an interaction with the ear that I'm unable to actually measure.There are definitely audible changes though - and mainly around the sub-bass.

For me personally (with the U6) I'm mainly sitting somewhere between Q2 and Q3 on the graph - flattens the bass out and lifts the mid-range a bit.

I'm looking at this on my phone. Is Q2, and Q3, half open, and 3/4 open respectively?

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #4,060 of 9,124
Close to pulling the trigger on a pair of U8. Anyone aware of any 64audio codes flying around?

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4,061 of 9,124

@Brooko, just thinking out loud here... Could it be that, pneumatic pressure plays a role in measuring the low frequencies using SPL meters? 

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #4,062 of 9,124

@Brooko, just thinking out loud here... Could it be that, pneumatic pressure plays a role in measuring the low frequencies using SPL meters? 

It could. I'm wondering as an analogy, if you took a reading of a room using an SPL meter of a subwoofer, and then to one wall away. Would assume there would be a difference. I don't know if this would be similar.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4,064 of 9,124
  Close to pulling the trigger on a pair of U8. Anyone aware of any 64audio codes flying around?

There going to be 20% CanJam discount for A-series and 15% CanJam discount for U-series: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784296/canjam-socal-2016-march-19-20-2016/690#post_12421133 for those attending the event.  I know it doesn't help since you are in UK but maybe they can offer some discount in honor of this?

Also, they offer a discount if you agree to write a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back