1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,036 of 9,124

Cheers. A8 definitely in front for me at the moment. Are A8 and U8 set up the same sound signature wise?

It's basically the same IEM inside. A8 is the custom fit version while the U8 is the universal fit version.

Ah right. will have to have a proper look tonight, but significant savings of going for U8 over A8. Obviously won't get that custom fit, but certainly for my usage that might be bit of a luxury anyway. I'm currently using Westone 4R, so I'm sure these will be good upgrade. 

Anyone here used U8/A8 with Fiio X7?

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #4,037 of 9,124
AHHHHHHHHH
So eager to get my hands on those MAMs
According to the update on kickstarter they've started shipping them since last Monday, I wonder when they finish the shipment for the A-series backers and ship the MAM to U-series backers.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,039 of 9,124
I backed the A12. Still haven't received any shipping notifications for the MAMs

We've been building like crazy. Currently have 300 pairs built on the desk that just need membranes put on and they're ready to get out the door to you Backers. We were hoping to get an update up on Friday but ran into a snag with something else. Originally they were going to trickle out, but because of those snags, it's allowed us to stockpile the MAMs for more of a shot gun blast type shipping approach (a ton at once, rather than a handful going out daily). 

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,040 of 9,124
Hey twister6, just got my manual modules. How do you use yours (all the way open or all the way close, etc.)? Just curious. I have both all the way open and love the sound this way so far. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #4,041 of 9,124
  Hey twister6, just got my manual modules. How do you use yours (all the way open or all the way close, etc.)? Just curious. I have both all the way open and love the sound this way so far. 

Hi Eric, exactly how I am using it as well
beerchug.gif

Fully closed gives me the max bass, somewhere half way open - the minimum bass.  All the way open - just the perfect amount, and I don't have to drive myself OCD-crazy
biggrin.gif
  I'm one of those guys who likes headband height adjustment with a precise click so I know for sure both sides are even lol!!!  Hard stop of MAM adjustment at fully open is the way to go for me
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #4,042 of 9,124
beerchug.gif

Fully closed gives me the max bass, somewhere half way open - the minimum bass.  All the way open - just the perfect amount, and I don't have to drive myself OCD-crazy
biggrin.gif
  I'm one of those guys who likes headband height adjustment with a precise click so I know for sure both sides are even lol!!!  Hard stop of MAM adjustment at fully open is the way to go for me
wink.gif

Is this written correctly?

Fully closed = Most bass
Halfway open = minimum bass
Fully open = perfect.

Wouldn't fully open be the least bass?

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,043 of 9,124
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

beerchug.gif
 Thank you for your prompt supply twister6. Truly a "headphone-sounding" IEM with a great soundstage all the way open (sounds great fully close too). My favorite universal, period (and may be my favorite IEM). I'll have a fuller review soon. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #4,044 of 9,124

beerchug.gif
 Thank you for your prompt supply twister6. Truly a "headphone-sounding" IEM with a great soundstage all the way open (sounds great fully close too). My favorite universal, period (and may be my favorite IEM). I'll have a fuller review soon. 

I also prefer mine all the way fully opened.

Fully closed = Most bass
Fully open = perfect.

I perceive it like that as well. Around the middle I perceive least amount of bass. It's kinda strange that all the way opened doesn't give you the least bass, but I feel that on the U8s, you get a nice amount of bass + the most open sound among the settings. By the way, I don't think the Auto module is set to what would amount the "middle" setting on the MAM, because I just switched to it over the weekend and had significantly more bass than how I like it fully opened with the MAMs. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #4,046 of 9,124

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Fully closed = Most bass
Fully open = perfect.

Actually it's not.  I don't have the link anymore, you probably will have to search a month or two back where I posted in this thread FR measurements with different settings of MAM w/A12.  Surprisingly, the bass impact goes back up a little bit when you fully open the module.  Paul (Brooko) also posted his FR capture reflecting similar findings with MAM and U6.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,048 of 9,124
  Mine are all the way open right now, it usually fluctuates between 3/4 to all the way. I kinda just play around with them every few days, see if anything improves one way or the other.

I have to admit, this is exactly what is holding me back from getting a U12. I can just see myself endlessly fiddling with the module instead of just enjoying the music. OCD personality for sure. EE Zeus here I come....

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,049 of 9,124
  I have to admit, this is exactly what is holding me back from getting a U12. I can just see myself endlessly fiddling with the module instead of just enjoying the music. OCD personality for sure. EE Zeus here I come....

You could simply get the auto module instead if that's the case. But the whole process with adjusting the module is not as complicated, as one would initially imagine. They way I see it, you have some flexibility in how you can tune the iems which you don't get to with other iems, unless you use eq, but you can't adjust the pressure release or the openness. But at the end of the day, it should boil down to your preference for sound signature.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #4,050 of 9,124

But that's the point of it, to be able to adjust the tension of the membrane to suit the current pressure of the ear canal, since it fluctuates based on your bodies current state, like if you were listening to them at your desk, then go out for a run, your heart rate goes up, the MAM allows you to find the best listening spot given the bodies change. Plus, you can change based upon your listening environment (wanting isolation or what not).

We're not talking night and day changes by adjusting, think small tweek to suit your needs better and/or to suit your ear. Kinda like tightening your shoe laces, it's not going to give you a new shoe, but there's certainly a sweet spot for various activities and the MAM allows you to have control over that. Rather than a one-size-fits-all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back