1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #3,421 of 9,124

Thanks for the recommandation, it seems though that they build IEM cables for TF10 and IE8/80, I don't see 2 pin there : ?

Frank of toxic cables can make any connectors imaginable ^_^ I have bought many cables from him, always beautiful, but be prepared for a lead time. Although, I sometimes just send him a message here and ask if he has anything on stock ready to ship. Check his profile and the impression thread for more up to date stuff :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/u/279519/toxic-cables

Btw, will be ordering a U12 or U8 very very soon. Most likely U12... Can't wait 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,422 of 9,124
  Frank of toxic cables can make any connectors imaginable ^_^ I have bought many cables from him, always beautiful, but be prepared for a lead time. Although, I sometimes just send him a message here and ask if he has anything on stock ready to ship. Check his profile and the impression thread for more up to date stuff :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/u/279519/toxic-cables

Btw, will be ordering a U12 or U8 very very soon. Most likely U12... Can't wait 
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks a lot for this, will do!

Did you get to audition of U8 / U12? I know I took a leap of faith based on great post of headfiers, we'll see tomorrow, it's pretty hard to audition IEMs, even in a capital city like Paris...

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #3,424 of 9,124
  Spend money on a cable if you have a balanced DAP or DAC, other then that your wasting money on eye candy

Agreed. I am considering the Onkyo DP-X1 and if so will get a balanced cable (Forza, ALO are on the short list). Otherwise quite happy with the stock cable and loving my A6. In fact, I spent some time with my HD600's last night which I usually enjoy and consider a mid-budget reference open full-size, but couldn't wait to get back to A6! The Sennheiser's actually sounded a bit bright / coloured which I'd never thought before, illustrating how our preferred signatures can change.

Happy listening.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,425 of 9,124
  Spend money on a cable if you have a balanced DAP or DAC, other then that your wasting money on eye candy

I have the Onkyo DP-X1, that's exactly why I need a 2.5 TRRS terminated cable

(Uh oh my U12 have gone through customs, I will get them tomorrow oh yeah 
dt880smile.png
)

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3,426 of 9,124

I have the Onkyo DP-X1, that's exactly why I need a 2.5 TRRS terminated cable

I have TED's Silver Litz cable (headphonelounge.com).  He's great to do business with. I got it in MMCX, he re-terminated to 2-pin for me.
But, I have gone back to stock, I like the right angled plug for Mojo. Make sure you also choose a small connector for the iem side (like the stock or Linum), larger ones like (Eidolic/UE) messes with fit.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,427 of 9,124
  I have TED's Silver Litz cable (headphonelounge.com).  He's great to do business with. I got it in MMCX, he re-terminated to 2-pin for me.
But, I have gone back to stock, I like the right angled plug for Mojo. Make sure you also choose a small connector for the iem side (like the stock or Linum), larger ones like (Eidolic/UE) messes with fit.

Good point, I have the same experience with larger connector, I'll probably stick with the Linum Balanced

I have a vanquish series adapter from Norne on order that will allow me to use Mojo with 3.5

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #3,428 of 9,124
  I've heard good things about the Moon Silver cables and I know @Twister has the Linum cable as well (not sure if he has the new one), but I would ask him of his thoughts. 

Linum BaX didn't pair up well with A12 - it exaggerated low end a bit too much.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #3,429 of 9,124

Thanks a lot for this, will do!

Did you get to audition of U8 / U12? I know I took a leap of faith based on great post of headfiers, we'll see tomorrow, it's pretty hard to audition IEMs, even in a capital city like Paris...

I'm same position as you here in UK :frowning2: leap of faith as well!

I'm excited for you tomorrow XD Let us know what you think :wink:

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #3,430 of 9,124
  My U12 should arrive tomorrow before noon, looking for a replacement cable (as my current replacement cables are all MMCX :-\ ), any suggestions of good pairing with the U12? (I know Whiplash TWau have been mentioned but out of the price range...).

I was considering Linum Balanced but out of stock for 3 weeks... I'd like something lighter than the current Whiplash TWcu and TWspc, looks like Norne Solv X for IEM could be it : any feedback on the cable and/or pairing?

Thanks!

Anything silver mate (or gold)

Avoid copper or silver plated copper as they will make it even warmer, I've tested with all 3, and silver is by far the best

I am using mine with Beat Audio Titan at the moment, I have Ted's silver balanced cable, and TWag coming my way hopefully next week

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,431 of 9,124
Just learned that there's a Valentine's weekend discount of 15% off all A and U models. Almost regretting not having ordered later...but then I guess I'd have to wait another week for delivery.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #3,432 of 9,124

Linum BaX didn't pair up well with A12 - it exaggerated low end a bit too much.

Good to know I'll drop that option then

Anything silver mate (or gold)

Avoid copper or silver plated copper as they will make it even warmer, I've tested with all 3, and silver is by far the best

I am using mine with Beat Audio Titan at the moment, I have Ted's silver balanced cable, and TWag coming my way hopefully next week

Ok good to know, I like a warm sound though, but I'll get an impression from the stock cable (guess it's copper?) and look at those options too.
Thanks!

Just learned that there's a Valentine's weekend discount of 15% off all A and U models. Almost regretting not having ordered later...but then I guess I'd have to wait another week for delivery.

Too bad, same here, well that's life...

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,433 of 9,124
Received my U12 early, FedEx was lightning fast shipped wednesday afternoon arrived this morning :)

It has been said already but the U12 are not big for a 12 driver, roughly the same size as my former Earsonics S-EM9, only much thicker they do protrude quite a bit :p

Finish is very good, I was impatient to check how the angled nozzle fit my ears and lucky me it's just a perfect fit like they were built for me, my canals are just angled that way as it turns out. The U12 sit flush on the concha, fully inserted. That nozzle is much deeper than what I am used to by the way. It's just the right bore size for the JVC Spiral Dots that fit like a glove both on the U12 and in my ears (the U12 came with comply but I am not a fan of them, especially with my big ear canals I have trouble getting a seal, using L sized Spiral Dots here).

After a hour listening, very first impressions with stock cable from Onkyo DP-X1, if I had just one word : effortless. 

What struck me was how quickly I forgot the U12, in fact almost right away, which is really strange as I was very intent on critical listening to grasp their sound signature and presentation of music. Very first feeling was how open they sound, which is probably why you forget you're wearing them and that's an unusual feeling for an IEM. I love the soundstage because it didn't wow me by trying to hard, it's just a very open and holographic but natural presentation, there is just the right amount of air it's not overdone to wow you. 

I wouldn't characterize the U12 as bassy, in fact I was expecting more bass quantity. Instead it was not overpowering and again I was struck how natural the U12 renders bass. It's closer to a semi open headphone bass is there, just not pounding your eardrum, to be expected with ADEL but still a surprise when you first listen. Mids are full and smooth just as I like them. Also, from what I had read I expected treble to have less sparkle and be maybe overly polite, but my first impression is very good there is plenty of detail and the right amount of sparkle to my ears, their presence is just right for me (but I get how some would like them to be more present). I like instruments timbre on the U12, again very natural and lifelike, they convey small nuances very well. One thing I noted too is how decay is very realistic this is something I often felt dynamic drivers have the edge compared to BA driven IEMs but the U12 really does very well. It's fast when it needs to be, but can linger when called upon helping the sense of depth.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #3,434 of 9,124
  Received my U12 early, FedEx was lightning fast shipped wednesday afternoon arrived this morning :)

It has been said already but the U12 are not big for a 12 driver, roughly the same size as my former Earsonics S-EM9, only much thicker they do protrude quite a bit :p

Finish is very good, I was impatient to check how the angled nozzle fit my ears and lucky me it's just a perfect fit like they were built for me, my canals are just angled that way as it turns out. The U12 sit flush on the concha, fully inserted. That nozzle is much deeper than what I am used to by the way. It's just the right bore size for the JVC Spiral Dots that fit like a glove both on the U12 and in my ears (the U12 came with comply but I am not a fan of them, especially with my big ear canals I have trouble getting a seal, using L sized Spiral Dots here).

After a hour listening, very first impressions with stock cable from Onkyo DP-X1, if I had just one word : effortless. 

What struck me was how quickly I forgot the U12, in fact almost right away, which is really strange as I was very intent on critical listening to grasp their sound signature and presentation of music. Very first feeling was how open they sound, which is probably why you forget you're wearing them and that's an unusual feeling for an IEM. I love the soundstage because it didn't wow me by trying to hard, it's just a very open and holographic but natural presentation, there is just the right amount of air it's not overdone to wow you. 

I wouldn't characterize the U12 as bassy, in fact I was expecting more bass quantity. Instead it was not overpowering and again I was struck how natural the U12 renders bass. It's closer to a semi open headphone bass is there, just not pounding your eardrum, to be expected with ADEL but still a surprise when you first listen. Mids are full and smooth just as I like them. Also, from what I had read I expected treble to have less sparkle and be maybe overly polite, but my first impression is very good there is plenty of detail and the right amount of sparkle to my ears, their presence is just right for me (but I get how some would like them to be more present). I like instruments timbre on the U12, again very natural and lifelike, they convey small nuances very well. One thing I noted too is how decay is very realistic this is something I often felt dynamic drivers have the edge compared to BA driven IEMs but the U12 really does very well. It's fast when it needs to be, but can linger when called upon helping the sense of depth.

oh boy here we are about the bass part as that is what i have been really waiting to read, as i see you own the shure 846 as well, so you are saying that compared to the shure 846 sub bass and bass the u12 is less in both than the shure 846

how would u compare it to your shure 846

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,435 of 9,124
  oh boy here we are about the bass part as that is what i have been really waiting to read, as i see you own the shure 846 as well, so you are saying that compared to the shure 846 sub bass and bass the u12 is less in both than the shure 846

how would u compare it to your shure 846

As I said I use Onkyo DP-X1, my Mojo is out for repair so I can't yet report on U12/Mojo pairing although there are many good reports. I expected bass to kick much more with the Mojo. One thing the DP-X1 has "against" it is the output impedance is 1 ohm that might play into the U12 performance in that department.

I had the SE846 but it's listed as previous gear I sold them over a year ago. I know them well though having spent a year and a half with them. Memory A/B comparison is almost impossible to do accurately. This being said, one clear thing is that the U12 bass is hard to compare with other IEMs I have owned as it feels more like the quality of bass you get from a semi open headphone than an IEM. It's hard to explain but I think because the pressure on the eardrum is lesser with ADEL, the bass kicks differently, it's much more detailed but doesn't feel like it's "pounding" as hard. There are more layers of detail, hard to describe but it's like the "pressure changes" are more gradual and refined. I love my bass, I mean I had the SE846, the XBA-Z5 and the Velvet and I will say this, the U12 doesn't feel like I am short changed on bass :) They do however make me feel like I was missing out on textures, nuances that I was missing. Also they feel much more natural like speakers or semi / open headphones.

From what you say I have the feeling the U8 might be a better fit from what I have read bass is kicking more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back