1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,061 of 9,124

Hi,
I own the V8 and the U12, and even though the driver configuration is different (obviously the V8 sounds warmer and the U12 is more neutral), I can still hear a similar house sound from the two earphones as well as the V6 I used to own (e.g. they all have a slight dip in the upper mids). I would agree with voicemaster that the sound signature of a V-series models and its A-series equivalent will not be very far off.

The V8 has very good soundstage (I prefer it over my K10U), but the U12 provides an open feeling unlike any other IEM I've heard (though I haven't heard the Layla yet). The U12 does NOT sound as open as my full-sized headphones (I only have the K7XX, Q701 and AD2kX).

My ears don't really get fatigued from non-sibilant IEMs (I listen at low volume levels and am in my early 20s if it makes any difference), but my ears do feel more relaxed when I listen to the U12, so imo the ADEL technology does work well.
However, I don't really know if ADEL makes things louder at the same volume levels, since impedance varies between different earphones. My Supra II is "louder" than my U12 at the same volume level, and the innerfidelity review says the Legend R is even more sensitive than the Supra II.

Unfortunately I can't help you in regards to isolation since you're asking about the A-series. My U12 isolates less than many of my IEMs, but I think it's mainly because the fit is shallower due to the large and sharp nozzles.
For stage use, I would recommend waiting for the manual module (or even the signature module) over the auto module (which I've read is similar to the manual module set around 70% open).

Would I pay $500USD more for ADEL? Yes, only because I trust that the ADEL technology will prevent (or a least minimize) hearing loss. It's a long term investment that I feel is worth the money. With that being said, I have to confess that I still listen to my other IEMs as much as my U12 :p

thanks for the info... very helpful.. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,062 of 9,124
  I'd really be curious on what 64 Audio thinks the advantage is of having more drivers per frequency range. For example the U12 is only 3 way crossover. But 4 drivers per frequency range. What advantage does this have over say 2 drivers per frequency range? Is it purely so it can play louder without distortion? In that case for those who don't listen loud at all it could not have an advantage. The K10 is a four way, so the drivers are more spread out per range. But with a three way, 4 drivers per frequency range seems overkill. Would like to know if I'm missing something here..

In addition to potentially yielding more headroom, high driver counts can also provide CIEM designers with more flexibility in tuning the SPL levels of each frequency band relative to one another without relying entirely on other tuning methods like dampers, resistors, tubing bore size, tubing length, etc., (for example, depending on whether the BAs are wired in series, parallel, or, in the scenario of 4 BAs for a freq band, optionally in a combination of half-series/half-parallel, the resultant SPL output will vary. Remember that different models of BA do not have identical SPL efficiency as one another, which is why this needs to be factored into the design and tuning of any CIEM with 1 or more crossover points, regardless of which crossover methodology is implemented). However, many of the other tuning methods mentioned will, inevitably, be employed for reasons other than relative SPLs of the freq bands.

High driver counts can also provide more flexibility in tailoring the impedance curve. This can have a significant influence upon the sound character of a CIEM design, because some amps or DAPs with higher output impedances can have a tendency to roll-off frequencies that lie within the lower ranges (dips) of the CIEMs impedance curve.

I'm sure others will chime-in with further info on the pros & cons of high BA driver-counts in CIEM design. The above are only offered as crude examples.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3,067 of 9,124
Kind of a LOL situation as I was the first person who was quite vocal and insistent with Stephen on having indentation clicks on the ADEL module since the beginning of the campaign however he was also very insistent that it was not necessary.

I wonder which VIP pop star made him change his mind when we normal folks couldn't.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,068 of 9,124
Kind of a LOL situation as I was the first person who was quite vocal and insistent with Stephen on having indentation clicks on the ADEL module since the beginning of the campaign however he was also very insistent that it was not necessary.

I wonder which VIP pop star made him change his mind when we normal folks couldn't.

It was actually a Vitaliy decision. He started to get better at tuning the ADELs as a bit more time went on, so maybe it coincided with you wanting the clicks? I dunno. Personally, I don't think they're needed, but if people want em then there should be a click. Simple.

But in the meantime, the people who don't care much about it clicking, would be willing to get current manuals and dial-in them in, are likely to be able to get them sooner. I think everybody wins.

I think that makes sense, sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.

But if you're going to have to tune them every time you put them in, to match the current barometric pressure, the membranes tension and your ears impedance, the clicking isn't going to really be super important. It's not a set & forget type situation.

Much like tuning a guitar, you're gonna be doing it frequently. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,070 of 9,124
  It was actually a Vitaliy decision. He started to get better at tuning the ADELs as a bit more time went on, so maybe it coincided with you wanting the clicks? I dunno. Personally, I don't think they're needed, but if people want em then there should be a click. Simple.

But in the meantime, the people who don't care much about it clicking, would be willing to get current manuals and dial-in them in, are likely to be able to get them sooner. I think everybody wins.

I think that makes sense, sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.

But if you're going to have to tune them every time you put them in, to match the current barometric pressure, the membranes tension and your ears impedance, the clicking isn't going to really be super important. It's not a set & forget type situation.

Much like tuning a guitar, you're gonna be doing it frequently. 

Yikes... that would concern me vs the autos..not the clicking, but the need to tune!
Is that going to be necessary??

From your inside track with Vitaliy (and co) what's the general consensus/feedback 64 has had from musicians on the use of the 'autos' vs adjustable for live use?

Unlike your A12 review, I'm NOT going to be using them while walking or on a train (aircraft yes), but 99% - stage use for me.
Am I going to experience changing isolation levels [pumping like a compressor] due to the diaphragm opening/closing? 
What does that do (if anything) to ambient noise levels (-26dB on my Qi's) if I'm standing next to the drums when the [auto] Adel's are actively open?

Or pls just tell me I'm somewhere out in left field with these questions  LOL

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #3,071 of 9,124
so for a basshead audiophile :wink: i which is the one i should go for, is it the U8

and i was wondering how does it compare to shure 846

i am liking this tech but i was wondering would it be able to deliver the same bass as shure 846, and at the same time be warm and smooth and no harshness

do u think the adel is suitable for me, i will be running it from an ak380

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,072 of 9,124
Yikes... that would concern me vs the autos..not the clicking, but the need to tune!
Is that going to be necessary??

From your inside track with Vitaliy (and co) what's the general consensus/feedback 64 has had from musicians on the use of the 'autos' vs adjustable for live use?

Unlike your A12 review, I'm NOT going to be using them while walking or on a train (aircraft yes), but 99% - stage use for me.
Am I going to experience changing isolation levels [pumping like a compressor] due to the diaphragm opening/closing? 
What does that do (if anything) to ambient noise levels (-26dB on my Qi's) if I'm standing next to the drums when the [auto] Adel's are actively open?

While you could certainly be intimidated by the idea of tuning modules, its not required. Frankly I'm still getting the hang of impedance matching as well. I normally just open up the adels and let it stay, much like open/closed back headphones. You really can leave it as simple as that with zero issue. However if you want to do a bit more work, you can tune them to your ears as well with that same module. Just a matter of if you want that sweet spot.

Next week when we're all at namm, I'm sure ill get a much more accurate eval of how performers are really feeling about them. But as for on isolation ratings in general, I wrote a post like 5-6 pages back adressing it, its really different than youd expect becuase with a sealed iem or even ear plugs, youre using the oclusion effect to mask alot of the outside sound. Adel doesnt do that since its not "sealed" like the normal isolating ratings.

Id link you to the post but im on my phone and its sorta tricky.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3,074 of 9,124
so for a basshead audiophile :wink: i which is the one i should go for, is it the U8

and i was wondering how does it compare to shure 846

i am liking this tech but i was wondering would it be able to deliver the same bass as shure 846, and at the same time be warm and smooth and no harshness

do u think the adel is suitable for me, i will be running it from an ak380

Honest answer without having nothing to do with 64, the 8's slaughter the shures. The shures have a tiny bit more down below but in all other areas, theres no comparison. The 8s sound so much better throughout the whole range, while being far more open and non fatiguing after a day of bass drops and beats. If you get the chance, demo them side by side, but thats my 2 cents...its also the consensus after the 64 guys A & B'ed them too. They have a pair at the lab.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,075 of 9,124
Honest answer without having nothing to do with 64, the 8's slaughter the shures. The shures have a tiny bit more down below but in all other areas, theres no comparison. The 8s sound so much better throughout the whole range, while being far more open and non fatiguing after a day of bass drops and beats. If you get the chance, demo them side by side, but thats my 2 cents...its also the consensus after the 64 guys A & B'ed them too. They have a pair at the lab.

thats so much interesting to know that they have great bass

so am i correct that for a bass lover it will be the u8 and not the u12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back