1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 29, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,971 of 9,124
  Yes there is a drastic difference between open and closed, really just think closed back to open back headphones. Much more airy and natural sounding.

All the way open will obviously let in ALOT of ambient noises, it's not really noticeable if you're listening to music (very much depends on the volume however). I leave mine in all day at work and just hit the pause button to carry on conversations. You'll still have the boomy-in-head sound like with air plugs and such, but the noises coming in are very natural sounding and normal volume (or really close to it at least).

If I'm listening to music at a medium volume and somebody approaches from behind me, I still tend to hear them if they're talking, but wouldn't hear their foot steps on concrete. Sorta a weird thing to describe honestly, hope it paints a picture somewhat to what you were hoping to have answered.

Out of interest, do they let more sound out as well? I'm always aware of being one of those ******* on the train who shares my music with everyone... XD

Also, to everyone - bit of a random one. I'm using my U12s a lot with a Nexus 6P. This is clearly by no means a good source as I believe its just Qualcomm's on board DAC. Ive noticed at really low volumes I can hear sort of hissing amongst the audio. It's only there when something is playing, not just in general. It's almost as if all audio suddenly has a layer of bad compression on it - not obvious, but there. I'm wondering if this is to do with impedance - these iems are still pretty loud with this source at lowest possible volume when in silence. Is there a cable that would help with this at all? I was thinking of 'Linum Music' or 'Linum Vocal': http://www.linum.dk/product-overview/
I don't believe the cable makes a significant/ noticeable difference to sound signature, and this has been shown in blind testing, but impedance is a pretty direct thing. Would one of those help do you think? Or any other suggestions for this kind of thing?

EDIT I also tried on the Note 3 which apparently has very clean output (GSM arena) - less of an issue, but still slightly there. I'm a little confused about what I'm hearing?
It's actually less of a "hiss" and more like sort of static... but VERY quiet, and only perceptible at the lowest voumes.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,973 of 9,124
Alot of people to be worried about sound leaking out, its never been an issue before. Unless you're at ear bleeding volumes, especially on a train, I HIGHLY doubt anybody could even tell you were listening to music at all.

Yup. There's literally next to no bleed. Even at home no one could hear what I was listening to at normal listening levels.

On a side note, ambient noise does leak in somewhat with the default module. Still, as mentioned afew post back, it isn't much of an issue when the music starts anyway.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,974 of 9,124
  + the U12 signature really opens up when the Comply tips are changed to silicone tips. This is now different game! Actually all IEMs plays their exact sound signature with the proper seal with foam tips.. but it gets boost in higher mids and highs with the use o silicone tips. So this is little 'fake' U12 signature, but who cares :wink:

If you have some silver cable lying around, try with that mate, I am using a silver cable with my U12, and Brainwawz bi-flange silicone tips, totally whole new ball game to the original, sounds slightly leaner (reduced the lower mids emphasis), and the upper mid is more energetic, and adds a bit more sparkle to the treble.

SPC cable helps too, but not as significant as pure silver

The missing piece of the puzzle now is only the manual module 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #2,975 of 9,124
Hey guys, while I've been replying throughout the thread, I've been given the green light to give out a bit more about the future ADEL modules I had mentioned a few pages back. 

I know the manuals are just starting to get into people's ears, but here's something to keep an eye out for later in 2016:

There will be a series of Celebrity Signature ADEL Modules.

Basically modules tuned to specific specs of various famous musicians. I know that's vague, but it's what I've got for ya right now. But what we're talking about are various ADELs tuned for a certain sound that you can swap right into your current U/A series. NOT whole new IEMs with a slightly altered sound signature coming out every other month.

Example: The one that I do know is in the works (which I have heard), is designed for on-stage musicians for hearing protection. Full working ADEL giving that airy sound (like a manual ADEL being dialed all the way open), while totally blocking out outside noise. I'm not sure which musician is supposed to be associated with that model, but that's the effect it will add to your IEMs.

Have a good new years!

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #2,976 of 9,124
Just wondering if anyone had seen my above query regarding impedance? Maybe a better question from me would be if anyone knows the impedance of the stock cable? And would a higher impedance cable make any discernable difference? (Linum's 'Vocal' one for example?)

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,977 of 9,124
  Just wondering if anyone had seen my above query regarding impedance? Maybe a better question from me would be if anyone knows the impedance of the stock cable? And would a higher impedance cable make any discernable difference? (Linum's 'Vocal' one for example?)

Added impedance will cut down on hiss but it can also skew the frequency response, depending on how low the impedance curve of the U12 dips. Since that is an unknown, it's hard to say if Linum's Vocal cable will negatively affect FR.  Something that might be better for your situation is the UE buffer jack.  It's basically a voltage splitter and should eliminate your hiss issue without affecting FR too much. I've not actually used it myself but a few others on Head-Fi have and have reported good results.  It's only $10: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories/adjustable-ambient-filters-158

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,978 of 9,124

Added impedance will cut down on hiss but it can also skew the frequency response, depending on how low the impedance curve of the U12 dips. Since that is an unknown, it's hard to say if Linum's Vocal cable will negatively affect FR.  Something that might be better for your situation is the UE buffer jack.  It's basically a voltage splitter and should eliminate your hiss issue without affecting FR too much. I've not actually used it myself but a few others on Head-Fi have and have reported good results.  It's only $10: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories/adjustable-ambient-filters-158

Hmmm, so how does one know if it's possible to pair a good cable with these iems? I was hoping to get a linum cable anyway because I like the idea of a thinner/ tangle free cable.... 
Thanks for the Buffer Jack info, I actually didn't know that was so easy to get hold of - I've gone and ordered one :D

If you have some silver cable lying around, try with that mate, I am using a silver cable with my U12, and Brainwawz bi-flange silicone tips, totally whole new ball game to the original, sounds slightly leaner (reduced the lower mids emphasis), and the upper mid is more energetic, and adds a bit more sparkle to the treble.

SPC cable helps too, but not as significant as pure silver

The missing piece of the puzzle now is only the manual module 
bigsmile_face.gif

Good timing with this post XD Which cable are you using specifically? I'm now trying to get an idea for whether a different cable will negatively affect the SQ of these iems....let the quest begin!

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,979 of 9,124

Hmmm, so how does one know if it's possible to pair a good cable with these iems? I was hoping to get a linum cable anyway because I like the idea of a thinner/ tangle free cable.... 

is the new Linum cable out? I knew they were working on a new version that wouldn't tangle as much. Is that the cable you are referring to?

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,980 of 9,124
  is the new Linum cable out? I knew they were working on a new version that wouldn't tangle as much. Is that the cable you are referring to?

From memory all of their cables are marketed as being tangle free? The new one I think is just a little extra tangle free... anything would probably be better than the stock one though XD
I'm more interested in impedance, hiss reduction etc, and getting a different cable (any cable, not just linum) that won't negatively affect the SQ. Tips and advice very welcome, and as always, anyone who helps is owed a pint if they ever visit london haha :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,981 of 9,124
Hi guys,

I've read through almost the entire thread before asking this, but I never found a clear answer to my questions regarding the adel module's affects on isolation. 

So here is my use case: I currently have SE215s and frequently work in coffee shops/transit/public areas with constant sounds of talking/ambient noise, and I'm looking to purchase either the V8 or the A8 for the custom fit. I'm tired of poorly fitting tips and uncomfortable pressure from large olives, which are the only ones that fit my ear without breaking seal easily. I'm frequently listening to music on the street with plenty wind noise as well. I'm looking for isolation that is comparable to the Shures I currently own. I saw the reddit post discussing strange ambient noise/tapping noises from physical movement on the A12 due to the membrane, which has really put me on the fence when it comes to my decision. There seems to be a wide spectrum of opinions in regards to isolation in this thread and elsewhere. I'm also seeing the post about "Celebrity" modules for hearing protection, which may be an option down the road.

Would the A8 be a step backwards in terms of isolation when compared with the Shures I currently own [or the V8]? I play music while I work which helps with isolation, so these aren't just expensive earplugs.

Does wind greatly affect the automatic adel module [and when is the the manual module expected]? Chicago 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

The A8 doesn't seem to have much feedback in this thread... How comparable is the sound of the A8 to the V8 [bass impact seems to take a hit]? However, would a manually closed A8 sound like a V8 since everything under the A12 uses the same drivers? 

Would a closed A8 isolate as well as a V8?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully my questions will help other lurkers as well.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,982 of 9,124
  Example: The one that I do know is in the works (which I have heard), is designed for on-stage musicians for hearing protection. Full working ADEL giving that airy sound (like a manual ADEL being dialed all the way open), while totally blocking out outside noise. I'm not sure which musician is supposed to be associated with that model, but that's the effect it will add to your IEMs.

Wow, that is intriguing to me as an A6 owner. I am a bit perplexed, perhaps reflecting my own lack of understanding about how the modules work, but thought there would be an inverse relationship between isolation / blocking outside noise with how open the module is. Please educate me as to how a more fully open module can isolate better than a closed one.

Also, when fully open will there be a decline in bass impact? My current A6 with auto-module seems to strike a nice balance between airy sound with good separation and soundstage while still producing good bass extension and impact. Trying to understand how the new tuned modules will affect all of the various frequencies and other performance characteristics such as instrument separation, detail retrieval and soundstage.

Anyway, thanks so much for the information, and happy New Year to you as well, Canyon Runner!

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,983 of 9,124
I'll only really be able to answer some of that, frankly because I dont know the science behind it well enough to really give a good break down for you.

But as far as the isolating adel, its done with a series of adel membranes and a very small port for the pressure between the iem & ear drum to be vented still.

Personally with my A12s wide open, bass feels better to my ear rather than dropped off. Closed feels constricted.

As far as the other upcoming modules, while Stephen has ran me through a few examples of various artists, the actual tone shift and such for those...still a mystery to me as well! I'm not trying to dodge your question or build suspense, I just don't have the information to fully answer you at this time. I'll update as things move along tho!

I'll be with Asius Technologies and 64 Audio at CES all next week and then NAMM later in the month, so hopefully Ill be able to relay some of the stuff that gets discussed.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #2,984 of 9,124
I too am intrigued to hear what the manual module will do.  I find the A12 fine just the way it is.  I haven't had any odd noises like wind noise, it's dead quiet when it comes to artifacts.  I've never heard wind noise in mine.  That doesn't mean others haven't.  I think it might depend on the fit.  My fit is perfect erring close to too tight.  It also provides good isolation. But no, it is not as good as a noise cancelling headphone. A slightly different fit could be noisier.  Wind noise could be caused by difference between individual sets.  I don't really know, just speculating based on the different reports here.

The A12 has quite a bit of bass available, some of which I could trade off for a more open and airy sound and bigger soundstage if that's what the manual ADEL does.  I should get one soon and I'll see.  It would seem logical that as you open up the manual you loose a bit of isolation but it may be that the opening is too small to make much of a difference.  ADEL technology is not just an open port.  Maybe an expert can jump in here and explain.  64 Ears follows this thread..Vitaliy can you explain?

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,985 of 9,124
I'll only really be able to answer some of that, frankly because I dont know the science behind it well enough to really give a good break down for you.

But as far as the isolating adel, its done with a series of adel membranes and a very small port for the pressure between the iem & ear drum to be vented still.

Personally with my A12s wide open, bass feels better to my ear rather than dropped off. Closed feels constricted.

As far as the other upcoming modules, while Stephen has ran me through a few examples of various artists, the actual tone shift and such for those...still a mystery to me as well! I'm not trying to dodge your question or build suspense, I just don't have the information to fully answer you at this time. I'll update as things move along tho!

I'll be with Asius Technologies and 64 Audio at CES all next week and then NAMM later in the month, so hopefully Ill be able to relay some of the stuff that gets discussed.

Understood and appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back