1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,132 of 9,124
  Interested in the U10. Has the durability or life expectancy of the membrane in the ADEL modules been discussed anywhere?

1964 changed the module to an aluminum housing, due to some possible issues with the original plastic material. I think that's about the only thing that could be cause for worry, as the membrane material appears (to my eye) to be some sort of material in the Mylar family, so you needn't worry about its durability any more than you would worry about the driver of most dynamic headphones. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the material used for the membrane!) 

Other than that, you might worry about the O-rings used to seal the module, but really, they should be fine for at least the  next 5 years, if not more, and I'm sure they'll last indefinitely, if you take care of the O-rings. There really isn't anything else I can see that would be an issue. 

Also, @ericr, I was having a look at my metal Adel modules, and there is definitely a very, very small hole in the module at the top, presumably to vent the back-pressure from the movement of the membrane.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #2,133 of 9,124
Here are pictures of my A6s, as well as a few photos of the different universals I was able to try. (Of particular note are the different thicknesses.)

Sorry about the potato-ish pictures. They were all taken with my phone, as I don't have my DSLR handy at the moment...

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,134 of 9,124
1964 changed the module to an aluminum housing, due to some possible issues with the original plastic material. I think that's about the only thing that could be cause for worry, as the membrane material appears (to my eye) to be some sort of material in the Mylar family, so you needn't worry about its durability any more than you would worry about the driver of most dynamic headphones. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the material used for the membrane!) 

Other than that, you might worry about the O-rings used to seal the module, but really, they should be fine for at least the  next 5 years, if not more, and I'm sure they'll last indefinitely, if you take care of the O-rings. There really isn't anything else I can see that would be an issue. 

Also, @ericr
, I was having a look at my metal Adel modules, and there is definitely a very, very small hole in the module at the top, presumably to vent the back-pressure from the movement of the membrane.

The module was always mean't to be aluminium. Just that they had to send the KS backers with temporary plastic auto modules due to long delay sourcing/building the manual aluminium modules.

The last I heard from Stephen, the membranes are made from medical grade material used for surgeries in repairing arteries, etc.
They can be removed from the module to be rinsed and dried out and it won't wear out.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,135 of 9,124
The module was always mean't to be aluminium. Just that they had to send the KS backers with temporary plastic auto modules due to long delay sourcing/building the manual aluminium modules.

The last I heard from Stephen, the membranes are made from medical grade material used for surgeries in repairing arteries, etc.
They can be removed from the module to be rinsed and dried out and it won't wear out.

Well, there you go! 

My point was about the automatic modules though. I have automatic ones, and they have definitely been changed over to aluminum. 

Perhaps cleaning mine would fix the sound? I dunno though, I'm scared to try that... I'll call tomorrow to find out.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #2,136 of 9,124
  Here are pictures of my A6s, as well as a few photos of the different universals I was able to try. (Of particular note are the different thicknesses.)

Sorry about the potato-ish pictures. They were all taken with my phone, as I don't have my DSLR handy at the moment...

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Seems like the logos on the KS ones are different (those ones still have the old 1964EARS logo)
Seeing the demo units in black also make me wonder if they'll even sell the U-series in the red colour, which was the original colour during the KS campaign...

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #2,137 of 9,124
Well, there you go! 

My point was about the automatic modules though. I have automatic ones, and they have definitely been changed over to aluminum. 

Perhaps cleaning mine would fix the sound? I dunno though, I'm scared to try that... I'll call tomorrow to find out.

Yep, they finally managed to get their aluminum modules production underway, even the auto ones although very slowly... they'll be sending the aluminum auto + manual together to the KS backers as the plastic really was a temporary measure.

Fix the sound? Is there anything that needed fixing? :p

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,138 of 9,124

One of my Adel modules is faulty. It makes a noise similar to creasing mylar whenever I move my head. I was thinking that cleaning it *might* fix that. 
  Thanks for sharing the pictures! Seems like the logos on the KS ones are different (those ones still have the old 1964EARS logo)
Seeing the demo units in black also make me wonder if they'll even sell the U-series in the red colour, which was the original colour during the KS campaign...

I don't think they will. At least, not for the time being. They are no longer using injection molding for the U series. They will be 3D printed, just like all of the A series, so I would guess that they will be available in only black, or perhaps black and clear. 

For the record, the black is a very, very dark, but translucent black. You can kind of see some of the inner workings on some of the U series. (Sorry I didn't photograph any of that...)

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #2,139 of 9,124
Yep, they finally managed to get their aluminum modules production underway, even the auto ones although very slowly... they'll be sending the aluminum auto + manual together to the KS backers as the plastic really was a temporary measure.

I wonder if they'll send them to me...I wasn't a KS backer but paid near full price way before the product was released(I got in right after the kick starter ended).

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,141 of 9,124
  I don't think they will. At least, not for the time being. They are no longer using injection molding for the U series. They will be 3D printed, just like all of the A series, so I would guess that they will be available in only black, or perhaps black and clear. 

For the record, the black is a very, very dark, but translucent black. You can kind of see some of the inner workings on some of the U series. (Sorry I didn't photograph any of that...)

Yeah, they never used injection molding for the U-series (maybe except for very early prototypes). The red U-series also looks translucent, maybe clearer than the black ones, so I'm quite happy that I chose the red U-12 (I want to see the internal magic 
biggrin.gif
). I just don't see a hint of red being available on the 64AUDIO website, when it was supposed to be the original/only colour for the U-series.

The picture is from one of the recent updates on KS:

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,142 of 9,124
  Yeah, they never used injection molding for the U-series (maybe except for very early prototypes). The red U-series also looks translucent, maybe clearer than the black ones, so I'm quite happy that I chose the red U-12 (I want to see the internal magic 
biggrin.gif
). I just don't see a hint of red being available on the 64AUDIO website, when it was supposed to be the original/only colour for the U-series.

The picture is from one of the recent updates on KS:

They really are masters at cramming drivers in tiny spaces aren't they?  I have a small head and thus small ears and there is almost NO space in my A12's, very impressive.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,143 of 9,124
  My A12 customs are in.  Fit is good, deeper than my old CIEM's but fine.  Workmanship is as expected from 1964ears - very good.

(Can't seem to upload photo so here's a link)

Previous CIEM's: TF10 pros reshelled by 1964ears.

Some Tracks played (on iPhone 5S):
Hotel California - Eagles
Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
Daft Punk - Pentatonix

Quick First Impressions:
Sound stage is defintely bigger.  Smooth listening.  I can hear the instruments very distinctly on the A12's - example, I heard the low toms at around 2:00 for Hotel California - never heard them clearly on my TF10's.  Bass was good.  I could actually hear the smack of the kick drums in addition to the boom - so much so, that I backed off on the volume control.  I found myself listening with the volume at 1 or 2 clicks up from 0 on my iPhone when I normally listen at 3 or more clicks on my TF10's.  I listened to music for about 2.5-3 hours straight and felt little to no fatigue.  ADEL at work?  I don't know.  Feels great though.  I would get tired after 1.5 hours on my TF10's.  There's still occlusion but I've become used to it for years on my TF10's.  

To Do:
  • Listen more!
  • See how the A12's perform when singing at rehearsal this Thursday.

Hey SrWnstn,
I am more or less in the same position as you were: I have the TF10s (universal though) and am thinking about buying the A12.
How is your verdict on them after more listening time?

I am still not sure if I want to spend so much money on them, should the upgrade be rather minor... Thing is, I listened to the Shure SE846 yesterday and was completely underwhelmed - I would always chose the TF10s over them (to me, they sounded congested and muffled, just an overall "cheaper" sound), which surprised me, because they cost over a 1000 bucks over here...

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,145 of 9,124
So have to say I am already a little disappointed in the customer service from 1964.   First of all, this is my first experience with IEMs.  I need a set soon as I am a bass player and singer, and I've got a great gig playing acoustic music with a very talented and somewhat well known singer/guitarist.  He uses IEMs and I've decided I need to make the switch.  

I did a ton of research, got custom molds made, and decided to go with 1964 V6S for their sound signature, reviews, and they also weren't astronomically expensive.   I put off ordering 1 week as I was waiting for a Labor Day sale.  Leading up to Labor Day I called a couple of times asking about whether or not they were going to run a sale, and that's when I started to get a little worried about the company.  Most of the time, the same rep would pick up, and his answers were very short and not very helpful.

I used the opportunity to ask some questions about the sound signatures and his opinions on the various models and I have to be very direct and say he did not know much at all about the monitors (which is saying a bit as I only know enough to be dangerous myself, and I knew more than he did).   Then I asked him about ordering, and the process for tracking molds to orders was very ambiguous.  Basically his response was "Just send them in and we will match them to your order when you place it".  I really didn't like this idea - as I don't want to take time and money to go get another new set of molds made if they lose them.  Again, very short answers and no reassurance.

I decided to wait until the Friday of Labor day weekend to place the order to see if they ran a sale.  Unfortunately they didn't.   I checked the lead times on orders and it said 4 weeks on the site.   I checked the cost to expedite and it was almost a 30% premium ($270) to expedite!   I decided to wait the 4 weeks, and I placed my order.  

Today I called to verify the instructions for sending in molds, and I asked to confirm the 4 week lead time.  The rep (same rep) shared that actually lead time was 6 weeks now - despite the fact that the website said 4 weeks when I submitted the order.   Worse, he said it was 6 weeks from when they receive the molds!   I told him that the website did not clarify, nor did anyone suggest, that my lead time clock would start when they received the molds, not when they received the order.   He did apologize when I expressed a bit of frustration, but again it was a very short and strange interaction - like "sorry that wasn't clear."  Then crickets. 

I don't know - I am very nice and professional on the phone, and I certainly didn't ever show frustration in my voice until the very end - and maybe there is a bit of a language barrier thing going on or something with him (he had an accent), but I haven't been very impressed so far.  Maybe the IEMs will impress enough that my initial misgivings will be offset.  

Just thought I would post my opinion.  Most of you seem very happy with your 1964 IEMs.   I just hate having to wait this long - as I need them sooner than 7 - 8 weeks from now.  Should I consider another brand like Westone, Sensaphonics, or JH Audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back