1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,146 of 9,124
I should also mention I wrote an email a couple of weeks ago to see if they would honor a coupon code for a summer deal, or if they would run a labor day sale, and I received no response.   I can understand if they can't share details on future sales and that the old deal was expired - but the point is they didn't respond at all.   Again, I'm probably overacting a bit, but I really have gotten a weird vibe from these guys so far.​

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,148 of 9,124
I hate to hear that you all have had these experiences. I've sent a few emails asking about the order process, asking when the Adel models would appear on the site, and whether there was going to be an intro price (as posted by a member on this thread or the Adel thread).

I received very timely responses that were extremely courteous via email from Rachel Heathman - an order processing coordinator. She had to hold her cards close to her chest due to the upcoming changes, etc., but she handled these communications in a very professional manner. You may decide to go elsewhere, but my experience so far (I haven't made my order yet) has been extremely positive. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #2,150 of 9,124
Nick - that's who I sent my inquiry to.  In any case, I went ahead and sent my impressions in to 64 Audio for the V6s.  In the end, even with a new customer discount from JH audio, I couldn't justify spending that much.   I'll just deal with stage wedges until they come in I guess.​

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,151 of 9,124
  Nick - that's who I sent my inquiry to.  In any case, I went ahead and sent my impressions in to 64 Audio for the V6s.  In the end, even with a new customer discount from JH audio, I couldn't justify spending that much.   I'll just deal with stage wedges until they come in I guess.​

Congrats!
64AUDIO's V-series have been known for its great price/performance ratio. I think JH Audio's build time is just as long if not longer, and I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding poor fit. 64AUDIO's build time actually decreased when they switched to 3D-printing in July, but with all major CIEM companies build time increases as demand/sales goes up. Getting a shorter build time would require choosing a smaller company like EarWerkz.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #2,152 of 9,124
Congrats!
64AUDIO's V-series have been known for its great price/performance ratio. I think JH Audio's build time is just as long if not longer, and I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding poor fit. 64AUDIO's build time actually decreased when they switched to 3D-printing in July, but with all major CIEM companies build time increases as demand/sales goes up. Getting a shorter build time would require choosing a smaller company like EarWerkz.

Just received an email from JH, they have also transitioned to 3D printing and have increased their staff count AND moved to a newer, bigger and better facility.
They just updated their turnaround time to 2 weeks or 3 weeks for carbon fiber models.
To top it off, their new loyalty programme which offers returning customers 20% discount on their top range models are the icing on the cake.
Good to see big improvements for them..

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,153 of 9,124
Just received an email from JH, they have also transitioned to 3D printing and have increased their staff count AND moved to a newer, bigger and better facility.
They just updated their turnaround time to 2 weeks or 3 weeks for carbon fiber models.
To top it off, their new loyalty programme which offers returning customers 20% discount on their top range models are the icing on the cake.
Good to see big improvements for them..

Wow, 2-3 weeks is pretty impressive. I hope I get to try the Layla one day!

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,154 of 9,124
Yeah I spoke to JH audio today and they shared that they were working with a 2 week build time.   I was sorely tempted by that and the 10% discount for new custom IEM customers.   20% for returning customers for life!   Still - in the end they were still more than I wanted to spend, so I went with the V6s.​

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #2,156 of 9,124
IIRC, most CIEM producers sit around 4-6 weeks from when they receive the molds. I think the only company that has a lower turnaround time is EarWerkz.

I believe that turnaround time is contingent on demand and staff capacity. With companies starting to switch to 3D printing, I believe most will eventually be in the 2-4 week turn-around instead of the 4-8 week that has been typical. Also, with 1964 starting to deliver the U-Series IEMS to Kickstarter backer (about 400-500 units based on my estimates), I can see them being delayed, as U.S. Kickstarter backers have been waiting for a while. I've heard them say that eventually production time will be decreased to 2-3 weeks.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,157 of 9,124
Just got the upgrade email.  I tried to pay the invoice but I try to use Paypal it says, "Another payment is in progress!  Please contact customer service."  Anybody else run into this?

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,158 of 9,124
  Just got the upgrade email.  I tried to pay the invoice but I try to use Paypal it says, "Another payment is in progress!  Please contact customer service."  Anybody else run into this?

I got the same thing, trying to pay via PayPal.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,159 of 9,124
  So have to say I am already a little disappointed in the customer service from 1964.   First of all, this is my first experience with IEMs.  I need a set soon as I am a bass player and singer, and I've got a great gig playing acoustic music with a very talented and somewhat well known singer/guitarist.  He uses IEMs and I've decided I need to make the switch.  

I did a ton of research, got custom molds made, and decided to go with 1964 V6S for their sound signature, reviews, and they also weren't astronomically expensive.   I put off ordering 1 week as I was waiting for a Labor Day sale.  Leading up to Labor Day I called a couple of times asking about whether or not they were going to run a sale, and that's when I started to get a little worried about the company.  Most of the time, the same rep would pick up, and his answers were very short and not very helpful.

I used the opportunity to ask some questions about the sound signatures and his opinions on the various models and I have to be very direct and say he did not know much at all about the monitors (which is saying a bit as I only know enough to be dangerous myself, and I knew more than he did).   Then I asked him about ordering, and the process for tracking molds to orders was very ambiguous.  Basically his response was "Just send them in and we will match them to your order when you place it".  I really didn't like this idea - as I don't want to take time and money to go get another new set of molds made if they lose them.  Again, very short answers and no reassurance.

I decided to wait until the Friday of Labor day weekend to place the order to see if they ran a sale.  Unfortunately they didn't.   I checked the lead times on orders and it said 4 weeks on the site.   I checked the cost to expedite and it was almost a 30% premium ($270) to expedite!   I decided to wait the 4 weeks, and I placed my order.  

Today I called to verify the instructions for sending in molds, and I asked to confirm the 4 week lead time.  The rep (same rep) shared that actually lead time was 6 weeks now - despite the fact that the website said 4 weeks when I submitted the order.   Worse, he said it was 6 weeks from when they receive the molds!   I told him that the website did not clarify, nor did anyone suggest, that my lead time clock would start when they received the molds, not when they received the order.   He did apologize when I expressed a bit of frustration, but again it was a very short and strange interaction - like "sorry that wasn't clear."  Then crickets. 

I don't know - I am very nice and professional on the phone, and I certainly didn't ever show frustration in my voice until the very end - and maybe there is a bit of a language barrier thing going on or something with him (he had an accent), but I haven't been very impressed so far.  Maybe the IEMs will impress enough that my initial misgivings will be offset.  

Just thought I would post my opinion.  Most of you seem very happy with your 1964 IEMs.   I just hate having to wait this long - as I need them sooner than 7 - 8 weeks from now.  Should I consider another brand like Westone, Sensaphonics, or JH Audio?

I have had exceptional customer service from 1964 ears although I dealt completely through email, maybe that has something to do with it?  They responded to every one of my questions, I got my A12's in probably 5 weeks from the time I ordered and they got my impressions.  I think you'd have better luck with email, why deal with phone calls? There is no record with a phone call, it's so old-hat.  Just email their customer service.  I dealt with a nice lady called Jarani.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,160 of 9,124
Mega post reply time! I had a quick flick through and don't think anyone repsonded to these, so here goes:

Quote:

Thanks for the post. I wonder if this means all A and U series from now are going to have the new name.

The A and U series IS the new name, isn't it? 

Is there a significant difference between these and the V-series lineup? Specifically the lower end ones such as the V3 and Quad

Virtually none. The new ones are 3D printed with hypoallergenic material, and obviously the ADEL module is a big thing, but other than that I think the drivers and implementation is the same. 

I am only able to comment about the aural health only after I have received my U12. I have hyperacusis and is not able to listen to music for a long period of time, ie about 1 hour maxed, using concealed earphones as my ear will tense up and become painful. Hope the U12 will solve this issue.

I for one am REALLY interested to know about this. You should also contact Stephen directly if you haven't already - he's genuinely passionate and would love to hear if this makes any difference, and even if not it would be something to discuss. 

Given that the U series are beginning to be shipped, I would imagine the adjustable one is now ready. U Series backers are supposed to be receiving both.

That said, I upgraded to a U12 and am still awaiting my upgrade invoice.

I thought all KS backers were receiving both eventually, except the people who got upgraded for free? BUT I don't think that necessarily means they will be shipped at the same time. last I heard, the adjustable ones will come later...

Impressions:

A12: Bass very forward, but detailed. Good decay for a BA driver. Female vocals feel somewhat recessed, due to the bass, and the treble is certainly the most recessed. It's there, but it isn't the star of the show. The bass definitely seems to take away from some of the air. Wonderful sound stage. Definitely larger than most in ears, and certainly huge for a BA earphone. 

Interesting - this shows the subjective nature of all of this. I wouldnt  think many people would call the treble 'recessed - it's still there and doesnt miss out ay detail or highs. It's not just 'there', it's excellent, and one of the most comprehensive trebles in any iem. Yes it's a more low heavy iem, but there's no bleeding and no lack of anything anywhere...
Or is there?

I got the same thing, trying to pay via PayPal.

This is happening to me too, and it's also not letting me pay using a credit card (not paypal). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back