1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #168 of 9,124
So the ADEL tech is basically an ambient port with the addition of a membrane?
It needs to be open a bit for it to work and lose a bit of bass

That's the issue, if it needs to be open to work then it should be tuned to have the preferred sound sig with the port open ...

It seams it is all about the membrane which needs one side to have access to open air meaning the port.

I suppose it is semi sealed not fully open like a pure ambient port and thus far less bass response and sound wave in general passes through the membrane either way. My guess would be that is the secret sauce, the membrane is easily moved by the pneumatic pressure waves it gives but perhaps sound waves are still able to reflect off the membranes surface keeping a seal more or less.

That would be in line with what we have heard that opening the port would cause a drop in bass which can be EQ'D back successfully where on past pure ambient ports that as not possible.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #169 of 9,124
  You're making it sound gimmicky. lol

Just throwing it out in the open for interpretation lol
Would be great to see companies be as transparent as possible

Looking at the MSRP pricing of the U series with the addition of ADEL is quite close to the current pricing of V series in universal form.

But the custom, on the other hand, jump way above in MSRP pricing in regards to V8 with:
- the same ADEL as the U series
- addition of 2 or 4 more drivers
- additional bore
- same 3-way crossover

Almost seems that Kickstarter prices for the customs should have been the MSRP pricing or just slightly more.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #170 of 9,124
[COLOR=000000]Just throwing it out in the open for interpretation lol[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Would be great to see companies be as transparent as possible[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Looking at the MSRP pricing of the U series with the addition of ADEL is quite close to the current pricing of V series in universal form.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]But the custom, on the other hand, jump way above in MSRP pricing in regards to V8 with:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]- the same ADEL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]- addition of 2 or 4 more drivers[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]- additional bore[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]- same 3-way crossover[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Almost seems that Kickstarter prices for the customs should have been the MSRP pricing or just slightly more.[/COLOR]

Yeah, it feels like they'd abandoned their old business model of focusing on affordable CIEMs.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #171 of 9,124
For the record, does anyone here have the knowledge of whether all of the housing of the Ambient are of the same dimensions? I wouldn't be surprised if the 12 driver variant is even bigger than both the XBA-H3 and the Noble universals, considering that it features a membrane.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #172 of 9,124
Yeah, it feels like they'd abandoned their old business model of focusing on affordable CIEMs.

Everything except the customs seem to fall in line with their prior adherence to that focus - not to say there isn't precedence for something that may be a lot harder to manufacture and tune - look at a Noble 4 - in Universal, they are 450 - in custom, $699 - in silicone, $999 - so something like this may have a reason as opposed to simply leaving a prior focus behind....

(although I still wonder why the 3S is $400 more than its Uni counterpart, where the 4S is $650 more - go figure)

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #173 of 9,124
That's the issue, if it needs to be open to work then it should be tuned to have the preferred sound sig with the port open ...

It seams it is all about the membrane which needs one side to have access to open air meaning the port.

I suppose it is semi sealed not fully open like a pure ambient port and thus far less bass response and sound wave in general passes through the membrane either way. My guess would be that is the secret sauce, the membrane is easily moved by the pneumatic pressure waves it gives but perhaps sound waves are still able to reflect off the membranes surface keeping a seal more or less.

That would be in line with what we have heard that opening the port would cause a drop in bass which can be EQ'D back successfully where on past pure ambient ports that as not possible.

I think you guys are getting confused, you can acoustically close the port without restricting pneumatic pressure. Like a silencer on a gun I suppose. Thats what vitaliy was telling me about the "sweet spot." yeah if you open the port all the way you have ambience. if you close it just enough to let the pressure be relieved you block out sound 95% without restricting the membrane. best of both worlds. from what he described sound quality wise the benefits of the membrane outweigh the tiny bit of ambient leak in the "sweet spot." This is why its adjustable, everyone will have their own sweet spot according to the size of the ear canal. Its science gentlemen, Ambrose is no fool.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #174 of 9,124
Everything except the customs seem to fall in line with their prior adherence to that focus - not to say there isn't precedence for something that may be a lot harder to manufacture and tune - look at a Noble 4 - in Universal, they are 450 - in custom, $699 - in silicone, $999 - so something like this may have a reason as opposed to simply leaving a prior focus behind....

(although I still wonder why the 3S is $400 more than its Uni counterpart, where the 4S is $650 more - go figure)

Well, there's also the bevy of other universals now, so it's not just the pricing. I don't think there's anything wrong with branching out; just wanted to point out the change.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #175 of 9,124
Yes, considering they feature the same ADEL tech in both U series and the A custom series, additional drivers and bore shouldn't cost double the price of the V8
Would be great if they can be as transparent in their pricing as possible

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #176 of 9,124
I think you guys are getting confused, you can acoustically close the port without restricting pneumatic pressure. Like a silencer on a gun I suppose. Thats what vitaliy was telling me about the "sweet spot." yeah if you open the port all the way you have ambience. if you close it just enough to let the pressure be relieved you block out sound 95% without restricting the membrane. best of both worlds. from what he described sound quality wise the benefits of the membrane outweigh the tiny bit of ambient leak in the "sweet spot." This is why its adjustable, everyone will have their own sweet spot according to the size of the ear canal. Its science gentlemen, Ambrose is no fool.

Don't think I missing anything but the details they are not giving out.

On the phone with 1964 today I was told clearly that the ambient port would need to be opened at least a crack for ADEL to work ...

Simple

And that at that minimal opening would let in little ambient noise ...

But opening it IS required for ADEL to work at least in the customes.

I was simply guessing to why/how that could be.

Got more info especially real info with explanations please share.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #177 of 9,124
  Yes, considering they feature the same ADEL tech in both U series and the A custom series, additional drivers and bore shouldn't cost double the price of the V8
Would be great if they can be as transparent in their pricing as possible

The U-Series will also be 4 bore, its a universal version of the A-Series essentially. A-Series is V-Series with Adel. (if there were V-10 V-12. Adel beat them to the punch) Therefore all must be 4 bore. its logical :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #178 of 9,124
Don't think I missing anything but the details they are not giving out.

On the phone with 1964 today I was told clearly that the ambient port would need to be opened at least a crack for ADEL to work ...

Simple

And that at that minimal opening would let in little ambient noise ...

But opening it IS required for ADEL to work at least in the customes.

I was simply guessing to why/how that could be.

Got more info especially real info with explanations please share.

That pretty much covers it, If the port is closed the membrane is in effective. Port open all the way lots of ambient with membrane working. close just enough to keep membrane working, Sweet spot. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #179 of 9,124

The U-Series will also be 4 bore, its a universal version of the A-Series essentially. A-Series is V-Series with Adel. (if there were V-10 V-12. Adel beat them to the punch) Therefore all must be 4 bore. its logical :)

That's true

Makes even less sense now that there's less difference of the A-series from the rest and yet the big jump in MSRP pricing

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #180 of 9,124
  I've just asked this on their facebook page - but if anyone here knows the answer that would be a great way to get a 'benchmark' for what to expect:

@1964ears 3 questions, asked publicly to hopefully help: 1) Are the kickstarter U-series almost identical to V-series with the RealLoud 'valve' shut?Trying to get a benchmark for what I can expect to hear in the new Universals with the valve - i.e, the U8 ('closed') is essentially a universal fit V8? 2) Sound isolation isn't an issue, but will opening the 'valve' cause sound leaking? I'm worried everyone on public transport will get annoyed if this is the case! Sound leakage is a bus-goers worst nightmare. 3)Assuming my logic in question #1 is correct, will the U6 be the universal version of the V6 or the V6s?

I don't know if you saw it on their comments page. These are responses from 1964Ears.

@Levvy ...3)ADEL membranes will still work when ambience is turned off. Turning the knob further will completely disable the membranes. This lets you hear what it would sound like without the amazing ADEL tech.

And another response to Tristan - U8 sound sig is similar to V8.

So a summary of the U lineup and their corresponding CIEM:
U5 = V6. U6 = V6S, and U8 = V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back