1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 20, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,066 of 9,124

I am a backer, but have no email update, thanks for posting it here, but am disappointed they obviously dont know i exist..
mad.gif

I got the email update too from kickstarter system. Best to check with them again as I think you've changed the order after the deadline has passed or such and may not be in official kickstarter system

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,068 of 9,124
I contactacted Chera Lee as per previous communication but haven't heard back.
Really don't like this neither understand what they are saying about the module..

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,069 of 9,124
I was really excited thinking that they would ship out all the A series orders by the end of the month. I guess now I can stop checking my order status twice a day.

As for the update, my understanding is that they are developing an additional ADEL module that, unlike the original design, is not adjustable but rather preset at a particular setting. The module remains open to allow the ADEL diaphragm to move and absorb pneumatic pressure as well as allow a certain amount of ambiance to come in while probably still sealed off enough to provide decent bass response. The main concern and target for these modules are artists and their sound engineers; if the original, infinitely adjustable modules where used there's no guarantee that the sound engineer and artist are hearing the exact same sound. By having the module at a fixed setting, this can guarantee that all the IEMs using this module will sound the same in terms of ambiance and bass response. However, I suspect that the problem lies with the "self tuning" part of the module. In the original design, I imagine that as you adjust the module by turning the crown, the diaphragm moves differently depending on difference settings as well as the size (i.e. volume) of the ear canal. I suspect that the movement of the diaphragm affects the sound to some degree as well. Given that it's affected by difference ear sizes, that defeats the purpose of a fixed module in the first place. Again, just speculating, the name "self tuning" suggests that this new design somehow retains the hearing protection of ADEL tech while somehow maintaining the same sound signature regardless of ear canal size. That's what I think but I know nothing about these things so I may very well be way off the mark.

The second delay is pretty straight forward. They're integrating new tech to scan, store and use digital 3D images of customers' ear impressions in future production of CIEMs. Trimming the impressions digitally on a computer is more precise than doing it physically with a knife so this should yield better, more precise fitting IEMs.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,070 of 9,124
From email:

3D•FiT Technology
A-Series brings a new breed of In-Ear Monitors, all A-Series Monitors will be featuring our new 3D•FiT Technology. We have developed a proprietary 3D process that allows us to take advantage of 3D scanning/printing technology to greatly improve the fit and precision of the custom in-ear monitors but still retain the ability to make color shells, faceplates and canals. We are now able to digitally scan, store, trim, detail and print with uncanny precision. Unlike before, we won’t need you to remake your impressions after 6 months because they will be digitally stored (and won’t deform over time). Developing the 3D•FiT process is another leap forward and a result of our commitment and dedication to bring you the best of the best with no compromise. This is a whole new way of manufacturing In-Ear monitors. This new process also took some time to set up equipment, tooling and software. We strongly believe this will drastically improve your experience with our product overall.

It's not entirely clear, from the above email, whether 1964 have begun using 3D-printing or stereo lithography (sometimes stereo lithography is casually referred to as also being 3D-printing, though one really should take care to distinguish between the two types of process)

Some related discussion in Jude's video about UE's process, in the second video here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit/60#post_11265443

I am confident that whatever method 1964 use, they will produce a top-class product.

If anyone has the patience to watch it, there is also a relevant broader discussion, with some well known industry faces, at the following link (again, please see the the second video therein):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/3165#post_11302780

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #1,071 of 9,124
They have already started using 3d printing for the Adels.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,072 of 9,124
They have already started using 3d printing for the Adels.

Sorry, but you misinterpreted what I meant.

I know they are using some type of (loosely-termed) 3D-printing, because both of us can clearly see that from the quote I prefaced my remark with:

"...We have developed a proprietary 3D process that allows us to take advantage of 3D scanning/printing technology..."

...but what I was getting at is that it is not entirely clear what type of 3D process they are using, and there are significantly differing methodologies available on the market.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,073 of 9,124
FWIW, my A12s were reported to be in stage 4, trimming, on Feb. 17 but they have not moved since then.

I found this encouraging until I read Vitaly's post above.  I'd rather wait and have them get the production process right where they want it than receive something now this isn't the best they can do.  3-D printing still amazes me.  I

I think I'll sign up for the webinar.  Should be interesting.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,074 of 9,124
http://www.spreecast.com/events/n1964-adel-q-a-for-kickstarter-2-24-15

Just a little reminder :). If you can't make it you can post your question here and hopefully someone will be kind enough to ask for you.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,075 of 9,124
At step 6 assembled. I hope they have already finalised and fixed whatever that is needed to be done.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,077 of 9,124
Prototypes?? Lol I refuse to accept that.. i expect to receive a final no changes retail product!

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,080 of 9,124
levanter, looks like you'll be one of the first to get yours. Please share your thoughts on them when you get them.

For sure I will :)
And no sugar coating on my side as well!

Actually I'm just jealous as mine are still at step 4.

Lol, on the upside.. The technician who does yours would already have some practice by then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back