1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 31, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #9,062 of 9,124
How do you like it out of the V30?
Great pairing. The U18 has gotten the most attention recently because it is the most recent I have in my possession. The V30 pairs well with all I have thrown at it...see my signature.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #9,063 of 9,124
Great pairing. The U18 has gotten the most attention recently because it is the most recent I have in my possession. The V30 pairs well with all I have thrown at it...see my signature.
how do you compare briefly Zeus XR and U18?

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #9,064 of 9,124
how do you compare briefly Zeus XR and U18?
I primarily use the XIV setting of the Zeus. The Zeus has less bass quantity, the U18 rumbles more and has great detail and texture. The mids are pushed forward on the XIV setting compared to the U18 but both have a flat lower mid. Separation and stage are a touch wider on the U18, I think the Adel helps with that.The Zeus is more midcentric than the U18 and the resolution and layering of the Zeus is tough to beat. Vocals shine on the Zeus, rich without much warmth. People characterize the Zeus as bright, and it can be, but it has the right amount of treble extension.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #9,065 of 9,124
I primarily use the XIV setting of the Zeus. The Zeus has less bass quantity, the U18 rumbles more and has great detail and texture. The mids are pushed forward on the XIV setting compared to the U18 but both have a flat lower mid. Separation and stage are a touch wider on the U18, I think the Adel helps with that.The Zeus is more midcentric than the U18 and the resolution and layering of the Zeus is tough to beat. Vocals shine on the Zeus, rich without much warmth. People characterize the Zeus as bright, and it can be, but it has the right amount of treble extension.

Will wait for your full review of u18 :))

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #9,066 of 9,124
Will wait for your full review of u18 :))
Thanks dude. I will do a review it may take a little time, trying to clear up my review commitments before the holidays. I am blessed to have two serious TOTL IEMs like the Zeus and the U18.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #9,067 of 9,124
Hi All -

A couple of questions about the Apex A12. I've read a large portion of the thread but haven't got through everything, so apologies if I am repeating any questions.

I got impressions for and ordered an A12 2 weeks ago. 64 Ears said that wait time is approximately 3 weeks so hope to get them in another week or so. The audiologist I go to has universal demo versions of a slew of IEMs to try (both those that are actually sold as universal and those that are not.) We did a blind test - where I described what sound signature I liked - balanced sound signature with some bass elevation and detailed but non-fatiguing highs, and she pulled about 8 out which I tried. I picked 3 I liked the most: JH Audio Angie, (Original) JH 13 Freq phase, and the 64 Audio U12. After going back and forth for quite some time - the soundstage of the U12 just seemed set them a part - due to the Apex modules I suppose (I was listening to the m20 at the time).They all sounded to me to have similar signatures. I was listening to everything on an ak240 DAP. In regards to other IEMs I tried, I found the treble on the JH Layla's too strident, I also tried the new JH13s v2 which seemed to be a little grainy and lack resolution. I unfortunately didn't have an opportunity to try the A18 - and I'm wondering if that would have been a better choice.

So I bought the A12s. My issue is that based on what I've read these seem to potentially be too bass heavy for me and the treble will be too recessed for my liking. I know that I've tried the U12s already, and I trust my own ears, but I know from past experience that universals and customs can be quite different; my first (and only) CIEM was the UE 18 pro (the original). While I liked the universal version I tried - to this day, I feel like the custom versions are too congested and too rolled off in the treble. I don't feel like they are too bassy (or they are bassy but I don't mind that), they just have too much in the lower mids.

I have a number of TOTL over-the ear-headphones - so curious if anyone could compare them to one of these. I love the Audeze house sound and own the LCD-4, LCD-3 and LCD-XC. I'm hoping that the sound signature is somewhat like Audezes in the sense that they have a lot of weight down low, but are relatively flat down there with highs that don't sound rolled off to me, but just sweet. I also have a Stax 009 which I love, but which is just at the point where any additional treble would be too much - and with some recordings I find them strident. I also have the Fostex TH900 where I am fine with the elevated bass, but dislike the recessed mids and the treble is too harsh. I also just bought a Mr Speaker Aeon Flow closed. I love this sound signature but it is a bit light in the upper-bass / low mids.

In preparation for receiving my A12s I have purchased
- both the m20 and m15 Apex modules.
- 75 ohm, 30 ohm, and 20 ohm impedance adapters.

I will listen through my ak 240 and/or my LG V20. I actually think I like my UE18s better on the V20 as it's a brighter signature than the ak240 - even with the ak240s "pro" eq. Maybe I'll experience a similar phenomenon with the A12. Has anyone heard both the original UE 18 Pros and the 64 Audio A12s - and if so - could you compare them - as the UE18s are the only customs I've heard?

Anyway - as you can see I am anxiously anticipating these but concerned I made the wrong decision. I've learned to trust my ears with headphone purchases, however, even though I had the ability to try the universal versions beforehand - customs are just different.

Thoughts on whether these are the right CIEMs for me?

Thanks so much for reading through (apologies for length) and I appreciate everyones opinions and advice! I realize I may be jumping the gun here and will love them, that said, when you lay down this much cash for a new toy - it's no fun to here all the issues people have had before even receiving them.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #9,068 of 9,124
Hi All -

A couple of questions about the Apex A12. I've read a large portion of the thread but haven't got through everything, so apologies if I am repeating any questions.

I got impressions for and ordered an A12 2 weeks ago. 64 Ears said that wait time is approximately 3 weeks so hope to get them in another week or so. The audiologist I go to has universal demo versions of a slew of IEMs to try (both those that are actually sold as universal and those that are not.) We did a blind test - where I described what sound signature I liked - balanced sound signature with some bass elevation and detailed but non-fatiguing highs, and she pulled about 8 out which I tried. I picked 3 I liked the most: JH Audio Angie, (Original) JH 13 Freq phase, and the 64 Audio U12. After going back and forth for quite some time - the soundstage of the U12 just seemed set them a part - due to the Apex modules I suppose (I was listening to the m20 at the time).They all sounded to me to have similar signatures. I was listening to everything on an ak240 DAP. In regards to other IEMs I tried, I found the treble on the JH Layla's too strident, I also tried the new JH13s v2 which seemed to be a little grainy and lack resolution. I unfortunately didn't have an opportunity to try the A18 - and I'm wondering if that would have been a better choice.

So I bought the A12s. My issue is that based on what I've read these seem to potentially be too bass heavy for me and the treble will be too recessed for my liking. I know that I've tried the U12s already, and I trust my own ears, but I know from past experience that universals and customs can be quite different; my first (and only) CIEM was the UE 18 pro (the original). While I liked the universal version I tried - to this day, I feel like the custom versions are too congested and too rolled off in the treble. I don't feel like they are too bassy (or they are bassy but I don't mind that), they just have too much in the lower mids.

I have a number of TOTL over-the ear-headphones - so curious if anyone could compare them to one of these. I love the Audeze house sound and own the LCD-4, LCD-3 and LCD-XC. I'm hoping that the sound signature is somewhat like Audezes in the sense that they have a lot of weight down low, but are relatively flat down there with highs that don't sound rolled off to me, but just sweet. I also have a Stax 009 which I love, but which is just at the point where any additional treble would be too much - and with some recordings I find them strident. I also have the Fostex TH900 where I am fine with the elevated bass, but dislike the recessed mids and the treble is too harsh. I also just bought a Mr Speaker Aeon Flow closed. I love this sound signature but it is a bit light in the upper-bass / low mids.

I will listen through my ak 240 and/or my LG V20. I actually think I like my UE18s better on the V20 as it's a brighter signature than the ak240 - even with the ak240s "pro" eq. Maybe I'll experience a similar phenomenon with the A12. Has anyone heard both the original UE 18 Pros and the 64 Audio A12s - and if so - could you compare them - as the UE18s are the only customs I've heard?

Anyway - as you can see I am anxiously anticipating these but concerned I made the wrong decision. I've learned to trust my ears with headphone purchases, however, even though I had the ability to try the universal versions beforehand - customs are just different.

Thanks so much for reading through (apologies for length) and I appreciate everyones opinions and advice! I realize I may be jumping the gun here and will love them, that said, when you lay down this much cash for a new toy - it's no fun to here all the issues people have had before even receiving them.

Get the M15 module and the ALO Reference8 cable. You'll be just fine. :wink:

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,069 of 9,124
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #9,070 of 9,124
Pinky / Subguy - I just ordered the ALO ref8 and already have the m15 module coming. Pinky - really liked your review of the ref8. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the A12!

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #9,071 of 9,124
Pinky / Subguy - I just ordered the ALO ref8 and already have the m15 module coming. Pinky - really liked your review of the ref8. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the A12!

Wise choice. :wink:

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #9,072 of 9,124
Hi All -

You wouldn't happen to be in the Seattle area, would you?

I would love to listen to your awesome collection of full size cans. You could hear my various 64 Audio IEMs!

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #9,073 of 9,124

Why didn't you consider U/A12tia which is about to be released? I think you pulled your trigger a bit too soon, but I can certainly understand you went with what you already heard with your own ears. Also, as it was mentioned in the past, and from my own experience of A12 vs U12 testing, better seal of A12 will yield more bass vs U12 where you can control the seal by tip-rolling. But to give you peace of mind, if you are OK with a bass quantity/impact of U12 w/M20, you will be OK with A12 w/M15.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #9,074 of 9,124
You wouldn't happen to be in the Seattle area, would you?

I would love to listen to your awesome collection of full size cans. You could hear my various 64 Audio IEMs!

Thanks - I wish my wife felt the same way! Unfortunately, I am not - I am in the NYC area. If you are ever over here happy to give you a listen.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #9,075 of 9,124
Thanks - I wish my wife felt the same way! Unfortunately, I am not - I am in the NYC area. If you are ever over here happy to give you a listen.

I have a feeling, once you attend CanJam NYC this Feb, you will be upgrading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back