1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #886 of 9,124
No disrespect @Ivabign, but I'd argue that the ER4P aren't neutral. I'd argue that they're definitely bass-light. Neutral hp / iem / monitors / etc. should provide a linear response across all frequencies at our eardrum, providing us with that "music as the artist / mixer intended". I haven't heard the Etys for quite some time but don't remember them having anywhere near the bass extension of the other iem I owned at the time. In this respect, I found the V6S more "neutral" than something like ER4P because V6S allowed me to hear more of the sonic spectrum without seriously over-inflating any frequencies. Just my two cents with the caveat that I haven't spent as much time with either as you have, sinceI've just demoed each at different times.

My tastes are similar to yours, nmatheis. But I must say I definitely have seen a move towards more bass in recent times. This might also have to do with the music that is popular these days. I'm not a purist where it comes to this- after all, as tastes change, and producers listen to different equipment while mixing, I do agree that you get closer to what they intended when you listen to equipment with FR's closer to what they may have been listening to. 

In that respect, I do find that an IEM like the V6S does seem to have overall better balance for the music I listen to as well.

On a different note, I agree with Ivabign. I believe the V6S are the pound for pound king of the IEM world- especially with prices the way they are today.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #887 of 9,124
jelt2359: True, but a good monitor should hold back on the bass when it's not called for and unleash it in full-force when it is called for. Something like V6S can do that. ER4P - not so much.

I haven't heard many top-tier IEM yet but from what I have heard V6S did sound fantastic. I was very, very close to purchasing them (or V8) on Black Friday sale and didn't because I wanted to wait until the ADEL tech was released and reviewed so I could make a more informed decision.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #889 of 9,124
I first heard Stephen Ambrose's ADEL prototypes at an AES convention several years ago and determined to work out why they sounded so good. In the intervening years we have come to the conclusion that a basic physical principle had been overlooked by IEM and hearing aid manufacturers. Essentially, sealing the ear canal changes its behavior from one of sound propagating in open air, where the air is free to move, to one in which air is trapped in a small spatial volume and is no longer free to move away from the sound source as it does in an open ear canal. The air in a closed volume obeys Boyle's gas law that states the product of volume and pressure is constant for a fixed amount of air. The effect is greatly amplified because the average pressure in the space is atmospheric pressure, many thousand times the pressure changes associated with sound waves. Thus tiny changes in spatial volume result in the equivalent of huge sound pressures. In an open condition, this movement pushes air in and out of the canal freely and the average atmospheric pressure is only very slightly affected by the sound wave itself. This effect can be demonstrated using a syringe: the plunger can be easily moved in and out when the syringe is open but it is difficult to press the plunger in when the end is blocked. This is because the closed syringe now must compress the air pneumatically like the situation created by blocking the ear canal.

The effect is predominant at low frequencies because of the increased driver excursion required to produce the long wavelength sounds. At low frequencies, the diaphragm must move significantly in order to generate the sound wave while at high frequencies it need only move a small distance to generate the same sound pressure level. Since the closed space changes more with low frequency sounds, the modulation of the trapped air pressure also changes more at those frequencies. This effect has long been observed and results in the use of venting in hearing aids. Passive venting is not great for music listening as it reduces the low frequency efficiency too much, frequencies not considered necessary for voice intelligibility - the key interest of hearing aid designers.

By allowing adjustment of the tension of the flexible membrane at the core of the ADEL device, listeners can determine the ideal balance of acoustical resistance (stiffness) of one wall of the closed ear canal to deliver the best sound and comfort for each ear independently. This allows a reduction of the low frequency build-up without completely dissipating low frequency energy. It also lowers overall SPLs and reduces the tendency to trigger the acoustic reflex that acts to damp transmission through the middle ear in an effort to protect the inner ear from excessive sound stimulation.

I hope this explanation is clear enough - I'd be happy to answer further questions. As a long-term audio engineer and teacher I have a decided interest in good sound and personal listening devices seem to fall short of loudspeakers in producing high-quality reproduction with minimal fatigue. I have approached this as a scientific investigation with Stephen, who urged me to write my book "The Science of Sound Recording" but I am not otherwise involved in his company. I just want an IEM I can use.

-Jay

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #890 of 9,124
@jay
this is indeed something interesting. I would love to hear this theorical thesis in practical test how it is different.

from what i understand of adel is to be able to listen louder in lower volumes, containing bass response in a more efficient way without introducing air pressure to the ears.

i hope that this can result in a more natural listening experience.

:)

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #892 of 9,124
Sceptical:expressionless:..

Are you being feces-cious?
biggrin.gif

lol - Brits....

http://grammarist.com/spelling/sceptic-skeptic/

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #899 of 9,124
I've been trying to get in touch for a while but haven't heard back from anyone at 1964?
What happened to that big team over the Atlantic?
I want to know if they got my impressions.
not a word..

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #900 of 9,124
I've been trying to get in touch for a while but haven't heard back from anyone at 1964?
What happened to that big team over the Atlantic?
I want to know if they got my impressions.
not a word..

Have you tried emailing their customer service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back