1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #8,131 of 9,124

Also... The new APEX CIEM can be fitted with the old ADEL (with a simple mod)  if you are worried. 
wink_face.gif
  However you may never get your ADEL modules even if you order them.  I ordered the M15's and had them in 2 days.  64 Audio has the best customer service of all CIEM.

I agree, 64 Audio always blows me away with their customer service. Truly the best.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #8,132 of 9,124
Also - just met with an audiologist for my a12s. What a weird feeling. It was kind of cool and satisfying in a way. 

We had a great chat about ADEL, Apex, etc. He's a young, smart guy with 10 years experience and his wife is also in the field. 

His conclusion was the biggest impact to hearing damage is purely the level in db that you listen at. He also said that since IEMs create a closed circuit in terms of air (very little air in/out, with a proper seal) that he is slightly skeptical of any health claims related to a secondary pressure other than audio waves. He did say that it's an exciting time to be involved in this stuff and that it can't hurt, and that since they allow more ambient sound in, the listening experience will be closer to an open set of cans which I absolutely agree with. He also mentioned many of his clients use ADEL / Apex and report lessened fatigue, so he does think there is something going on, he is just unsure if it's related directly to 'pressure'.

He said, "The best part about science is that we don't know all of it yet." Cool dude. 

Can't wait for my a12s now! Will post up some photos once they're in. U12 + DX200 has by far cured my upgradeitis. I haven't loved anything more so far.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #8,133 of 9,124
So I spent a little time today with my U12. Experimenting withe the EQ on the Opus #2, 4khz/8khz. Utilizing the balanced output and a silver litz cable I have decided for myself that I really am fine with EQ or without it. With the EQ it appears to bring out a bit more detail, but it could be placebo.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #8,134 of 9,124
He also mentioned how CIEMs will always sound a touch more clear for people with curved or bendy ear canals, since universals tend to bounce treble around inside of the ear, and customs will bring the sound directly to the path of the eardrum. Interesting take.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #8,135 of 9,124
So I spent a little time today with my U12. Experimenting withe the EQ on the Opus #2, 4khz/8khz. Utilizing the balanced output and a silver litz cable I have decided for myself that I really am fine with EQ or without it. With the EQ it appears to bring out a bit more detail, but it could be placebo.

Rest easy. EQ is no placebo. It's a measurable change in frequency response.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #8,136 of 9,124
It seems like not only me who perceives same same feeling on both ADEL and APEX. I also prefer APEX m15 over B1 as well. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #8,137 of 9,124
Hi guys, I notice that on massdrop, U4-SE and U5 are offered at seemingly good price points (449 for U4-SE and 499 for U5, both with both M15 and M20 modules). Yet I can't find any review anywhere, can anyone share some thoughts on these two models? It seems that this thread is more concerned with higher end models, so sorry for bothering, but I'd really like some opinions or suggestions here. I listen mainly to all kinds of classical music and Japanese ACG related light music works.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #8,138 of 9,124
  Hi guys, I notice that on massdrop, U4-SE and U5 are offered at seemingly good price points (449 for U4-SE and 499 for U5, both with both M15 and M20 modules). Yet I can't find any review anywhere, can anyone share some thoughts on these two models? It seems that this thread is more concerned with higher end models, so sorry for bothering, but I'd really like some opinions or suggestions here. I listen mainly to all kinds of classical music and Japanese ACG related light music works.

I would suggest go for the U5. They are very neutral. Sorta kinda like the lil bro of U10

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #8,139 of 9,124
Acrimonious articles started. I have no idea how story end. 

http://www.64audio.com/blog/2017/02/20/correcting-the-record/

By the way, I'm glad that there are companies likes Asius and 64Audio which keep concerning on this kind of technology. I'm so happy to support their products and look forward to trying their next gen of ADEL and APEX in near future.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8,140 of 9,124
Yeah limiters are a good thing. I agree that eq-ing can be an invaluable tool, but many of the portables do not have very good equalizers, and it's hard to fine tune them. On the other hand some of the better quality daps have parametric equalizers, like the lotoo paw gold, and it's very, very good. Besides, the most important variable in how we hear music through iems relates to our inner ear anatomy. Equalizing can compensate for these differences, let alone an engineer whose ears have been damaged by loud music. :blush:

A responsible engineer uses attenuated ear plugs if doing live work.  The truth is the talent on stage are the ones who suffer from hearing loss.  Most now who use good vented CIEM's wont suffer from this.  In the studio I ware plugs when setting up the drums as they are the biggest culprit of hearing loss.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #8,141 of 9,124
Yeah limiters are a good thing. I agree that eq-ing can be an invaluable tool, but many of the portables do not have very good equalizers, and it's hard to fine tune them. On the other hand some of the better quality daps have parametric equalizers, like the lotoo paw gold, and it's very, very good. Besides, the most important variable in how we hear music through iems relates to our inner ear anatomy. Equalizing can compensate for these differences, let alone an engineer whose ears have been damaged by loud music. :blush:

A responsible engineer uses attenuated ear plugs if doing live work.  The truth is the talent on stage are the ones who suffer from hearing loss.  Most now who use good vented CIEM's wont suffer from this.  In the studio I ware plugs when setting up the drums as they are the biggest culprit of hearing loss.

Not directed toward you, but as an audiophile and someone who has spent a considerable amount of time on the other side of the console, there are good engineers with "big" ears and then we have the other ones. Equalization can be a good thing.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #8,142 of 9,124
I want it to go on record that I think the 64 Audio A/U 12 is the best sounding IME / CIME that money can buy.  Correctly setup they can sound amazing.  Their are a lot of good powerful low impedance amps available and the balanced variety seems to hit the mark with these.
Get a good amp and cables and you will be very happy.

Thank you 64 Audio for making these amazing sounding CIEM's! 

How many CIEMs have you heard?

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #8,143 of 9,124
Rest easy. EQ is no placebo. It's a measurable change in frequency response.

True, EQ is no placebo, it is measurable change but that doesn't mean placebo effect cannot be in play either. For instance, once a person becomes conscious about there is a boost in the 4 to 8k hertz range, he will pay more attention to process information from that range and thereby resolve more information from that range resulting a sense of clearer upper mid. That and the actual increase in frequency together will definitly change the perception in that range. It is all about attention, if I do not pay attention to my wife, she can be yelling at me and I will not be processing any info :D

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #8,144 of 9,124
Not directed toward you, but as an audiophile and someone who has spent a considerable amount of time on the other side of the console, there are good engineers with "big" ears and then we have the other ones. Equalization can be a good thing.

NP... I also started out as an audiophile in my late teens.  I was very picky about sound.  Later I purchased the big Infinity Reference speakers and used a good vinyl playback table / pre with all tube gear.  They were the good days.  Then CD came out and I Like most audiophiles, never really cared for the sound until recently when good DA converters were launched.  I still prefer to listen to my vinyl however digital is way more convenient and portable.  I still do some analog project utilizing 2" 24 track decks and a fully automated analog mixing deck however most projects are done all digital using a fully automated digital desk.  Although a lot of times I will put the drums through tape first to get that nice tape saturation.  I like to think outside the box and most the time it pay's off.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #8,145 of 9,124
True, EQ is no placebo, it is measurable change but that doesn't mean placebo effect cannot be in play either. For instance, once a person becomes conscious about there is a boost in the 4 to 8k hertz range, he will pay more attention to process information from that range and thereby resolve more information from that range resulting a sense of clearer upper mid. That and the actual increase in frequency together will definitly change the perception in that range. It is all about attention, if I do not pay attention to my wife, she can be yelling at me and I will not be processing any info
biggrin.gif

I have been guilty of the placebo effect.  Once I was EQ'ing a guitar and thought I was shaping the sound only to find out it was bypassed
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back