1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #661 of 9,124
... So far, the V6 Stage, or the U6 for this campaign, are what I would most be interested in for the lineup, but I kind of don't want a V-MODA M-100 sound for an in-ear monitor and would much prefer a more neutral, true to the sound sound signature, which is why I asked about the AMB-4 vs U4 earlier. From that user's impression of the Quads though (U4 in this case), it sounds like something I wouldn't like either since I'm really sensitive to bright sounds and treble spikes at 9-10 kHz, which the V6 Stage had, like the M-100.

Last night we went to the Nutcracker with a full orchestra. Several times during the performance I thought how realistic and true my V6-Stage universals were to what I was hearing live.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #662 of 9,124
Some answers from ljokerl regarding ADEL technology. Seems to me like ADEL should play very nicely with U8!

Q: Similar to above, can you comment on where the ADEL was set during your review? From your comments about the aound being a bit boomier when fully sealed i take it you had it open a small amount? Thanks for the review, especially getting it here before the KS funding deadline!

A: The impressions were done with the ADEL module open partway. One of the things that’s still being worked on is the ease of adjusting it – right now it’s a bit difficult to do – so I only tried an open state (knob rotated a bit from closed position) and the fully closed state (and again it’s not easy to switch between them quickly for A:B purposes at this point because each earpiece is adjusted independently, the knobs rotate in opposite directions (on the Beta modules), and you have to keep them balanced, etc).

So, I don’t know if I was getting the full/optimal ADEL experience but the goal was to try it with the technology active, which I think I was able to do.

Q: Joker – Was your evaluation done with ADEL module closed or open? A lot of us KS backers are curious what the real world affect of opening the ADEL module is. Thanks!

A: Discussed a little in another answer above. Can’t really A:B open with closed very easily because it takes a good amount of time to switch with the current implementation, but my feeling at this point is that (aside from slightly reducing the isolation) opening the module has the effect of reducing overall bass quantity but boosting bass quality, bringing the midrange more forward (which also leads to an increase in perceived loudness), and increasing treble crispness a bit. There’s also a net positive effect on presentation (depth/layering and openness), though the magnitude is a little hard to judge at this point.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #663 of 9,124
Oh gosh, I just landed in Taipei to see joker give a preliminary 9.9-10... now I want to back the A12! I suppose it's too late for me to travel to Taichung and demo the V-series before the campaign finishes eh Dx

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #664 of 9,124
Oh gosh, I just landed in Taipei to see joker give a preliminary 9.9-10... now I want to back the A12! I suppose it's too late for me to travel to Taichung and demo the V-series before the campaign finishes eh Dx

Check to see if jm plus in gong guan has them for demo!

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #665 of 9,124
Another question answered by Joker (regarding soundstage):

Q: Joker, would you say that the A12 has the widest most spacious soundstage compared to all other. IEM/CIEM you’ve tried so far?

And how do the A12 soundstage compares to full size open back headphones?

A:  I would say that if it’s not the best, it’s definitely very high up there. I don’t have a nice open-back dynamic universal on-hand at the moment to compare (something like a JVC FX850 or Senn IE80 or Yuin OK1, which is basically an open-air IEM) but on the whole it does beat out all of the BA customs and universals that I’ve thrown at it so far. A few like the Noble 4S don’t really sound congested next to the A12, but most do at least a little bit. Still need to try the UM Miracle, and maybe the Hidition NT 6 if I can find it.
Full-size headphones are just different in the way they present soundstage but the A12 is getting there as much as any other IEM I’ve heard. So maybe somewhere between your average IEM and a proper full-size headphone? I guess it’s more like one of the more heavily damped “open” headphones (like the OPPO PM-1) than a true open-back design like the HD600.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #666 of 9,124
Seeing I'm a soundstage-head 1964 can count me in - just backed the A12.

(if a couple of years ago you'd told me I would be spending $1200 on headphones I'd said you were insane!)

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #669 of 9,124
I'm tempted to join the A12 again too
frown.gif

I say do it. Nothing to lose - except money.

EDIT: I'm pretty surprised that they're $10,000 away from the third stretch goal. Although, I do wish it was something more enticing than a case.

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #671 of 9,124
Yup. Some silver plated cables for my new U8 would be nice :wink:

I hope that's what they include for the stock cables but maybe I'm just being too optimistic. It's just honestly, the stretch goal cable in the render looks so cheap and gimmicky, I hope they offer something that's durable and of quality.

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #673 of 9,124
For those wondering- Vitaly replied my email. Creator says universals are not possible, but Vitaly says they can build 'demo' versions upon request :)

So I'm sticking with my A12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back