1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #647 of 9,124

So I don't want to sound ungrateful, but that review isn't very helpful.  1964Ears is promising a revolution with the ADEL tech and ljokerl didn't even attempt to quantify how the ADEL changed the sound.  Instead we got, "Removing it leaves a gaping hole in the housings and also doesn’t do the sound any favors, completely dropping out the low end as expected with an unsealed balanced armature IEM." & "Coincidentally, taking out the ADEL modules and sealing the holes where they used to be increases bass quantity, but also introduces some bass “boom”. I can see a sealed A12 appealing to some people and it will go toe-to-toe with some of the warmer custom IEMs out there, such as the Westone ES5 and Heir Audio 8.A."

Did the soundstage improve dramatically as 1964Ears claims as the ADEL "vent" was gradually opened?  How did the sound change as the ADEL screw was backed off?  Did the low end start to roll off?  How did the isolation suffer?  How open were they when he listened to them?

Frankly, I would have expected more comments about the incredible soundstage if the ADEL tech delivered on the claims.  Perhaps I'm just missing the revolution.
confused.gif

It already has more soundstage and is airier than all the other comparison phones. Was very helpful for me to read that they're clearer than the JH13 fp and have less boomy bass. I also like the balanced/ neutral signature- I was worried they'd be too bassy for my tastes. Coming from joker, it also means a lot more than what I've been hearing from 1964 themselves...

Frankly I think the review was great. I was surprised he even offered a numerical rating- that's the kinda thing reviewers shy away from for a preliminary review. I also don't fault him for using it the way we would have used it- picking a bass level he liked and auditioning it there. After all, I'm not interested in the A12 for how well it modifies the bass- I interested in how it's a new flagship. Otherwise I'd be getting the U series instead.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #648 of 9,124
I think @Levanter is right in this case. The review has accomplished one thing only, but perhaps the most important of all things -- the A12, whether or not the ADEL stuff is genius or meh, is an incredible sounding CIEM which hangs with the best of them. That alone will make up the bulk of the justification for the $1.2k price tag, and everything else from there on is a bonus.

In short, the A12 has a bottom level of being regarded as decent value, with very much the potential to be considered amazing value when it's all said and done.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #649 of 9,124
It's only a brief review. Given the short time he has with it, and the dateline for the campaign in just 12 hours you can't really fault him for that.

Sure you can.  That's the $559,567 question that 1,158 backers and many onlookers want to know, especially with only 14 hours to go.  Does the ADEL tech deliver on the claims?

All we really know from that review is that ljokerl likes the sound of the A12 with the ADEL module in an unknown position and compares the A12 favorably to several other models.  I would have much rather preferred an explanation of how adjusting the ADEL knob changed the sound and isolation of the A12 rather than a comparison to other IEMs.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #650 of 9,124
  I think @Levanter is right in this case. The review has accomplished one thing only, but perhaps the most important of all things -- the A12, whether or not the ADEL stuff is genius or meh, is an incredible sounding CIEM which hangs with the best of them. That alone will make up the bulk of the justification for the $1.2k price tag, and everything else from there on is a bonus.

In short, the A12 has a bottom level of being regarded as decent value, with very much the potential to be considered amazing value when it's all said and done.

Also, erm, $1200 is cheaper than some very well-received flagship phones from other companies. Personally I'm really really glad he compared them to the JH13 fp. I don't like my JH13's signature, in exactly the ways that joker said the A12 were different.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #651 of 9,124
Agreed, most concerning to me was knowing the lineup with adel really stood up with the rest of the 1964 lineup. Based on his brief review, it appears to be one of the best IEMs he's reviewed. Im content enough knowing they'll sound great and just hope that the ADEL tech produces further gains. If not, still a good value buy.

Im hoping we can try and get Vitaliy to let us fill out a survey for certain models to see if theres another color we could order. He had mentioned if there was enough demand for a particular color that they could work to make it happen.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #652 of 9,124

I respectfully disagree.  Only ~15% of the campaign backers are in for the A12.  The other ~85% of them might want to know if the ADEL tech delivers on the promises instead of whether the A12 sounds good.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #653 of 9,124
PS, I'm also quite excited by the ADEL tech. I find myself frequently adjusting the volume upwards the longer I listen. I'm pretty sure this is what they're trying to avoid..

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #654 of 9,124
PS, I'm also quite excited by the ADEL tech. I find myself frequently adjusting the volume upwards the longer I listen. I'm pretty sure this is what they're trying to avoid..

So, are you in for these?
Just bought in ears, haven't even gotten the molds done yet, if I were going in it would be the $500 or so models, they seem like bang for the buck models...but, the big temptation now for me is the Audeze offers from Geek/Light Harmonic, offering a few hundred off the LCD2, 3, and XC for Pulse backers, wife wondering if I need to see a therapist...

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #655 of 9,124
More airy, fuller, smoother, natural, spacious, better bass. Without ADEL, it introduces "boom" in the bass so it seems to do something. Looks like the A12 is the highest on his list.

The success of the A12 makes me more confident about their other IEMs though I wish we had more information about ADEL.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #656 of 9,124
Without ADEL, it introduces "boom" in the bass so it seems to do something.

We don't exactly know that.  Unfortunately he removed the ADEL module and plugged the resulting hole with something.  That does change the internal volume of the IEM which could change the bass response.  Also, we don't know how the hole was plugged.  Maybe it wasn't completely airtight.  I'm not sure why he didn't just tighten the screw all the way since that's supposed to completely seal it.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #657 of 9,124
So, are you in for these?
Just bought in ears, haven't even gotten the molds done yet, if I were going in it would be the $500 or so models, they seem like bang for the buck models...but, the big temptation now for me is the Audeze offers from Geek/Light Harmonic, offering a few hundred off the LCD2, 3, and XC for Pulse backers, wife wondering if I need to see a therapist...

Yep, in. I'm not sure about Geek- extremely confusing and I haven't heard good things about their delivery speed. As for the LCDs, I really don't need another set of home cans :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #658 of 9,124
Looks like universals of the A10 and A12 are really not available despite what the customer service from 1964 said. So I'm out.

In the Kickstarter comments the Creator said the U8 was the top of the universal line, and the A10 and A12 are available as "demos".

To me this means in the Creator's mind "universal" means the mass produced poly-carbonate shell, and "demo" means the hand-made acrylic shell of the customs made in into a generic fit that uses ear tips (i.e. no impressions used).

Also, since 1964 Ears will be the ones making the A10 & 12 I'll trust what they say over the Creator who is from the ADEL side of the venture.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #659 of 9,124
In the Kickstarter comments the Creator said the U8 was the top of the universal line, and the A10 and A12 are available as "demos".

To me this means in the Creator's mind "universal" means the mass produced poly-carbonate shell, and "demo" means the hand-made acrylic shell of the customs made in into a generic fit that uses ear tips (i.e. no impressions used).

Also, since 1964 Ears will be the ones making the A10 & 12 I'll trust what they say over the Creator who is from the ADEL side of the venture.

Maybe will be available as demo's as of last week they were not, if they are I will drive there NOW

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #660 of 9,124
I picked up the LCD-2s, the deals for the XC and 3 are only good if you are getting them with the pulse x.

I'll probably be picking up the u4. I do wish that the review had talked about how the sound changes as the adel module is adjusted.

In the boomy bass with the module removed is probably the result of the interior air cavity that was created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back