1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Aug 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #6,197 of 9,124
Aug 29, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #6,198 of 9,124
Any recommendations for a sub-$100 amp/dac that pairs well with Android and the Adel line?

I realize there's a thread dedicated to sub $100 phone dac/amps. Looking specifically for your opinions, something with good synergy. Would be using it with the Galaxy Note 7.

Was eyeing the Fiio E12A, but not sure if that's the right choice. Price may come down a bit if I keep an eye on it.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #6,199 of 9,124
IMO I don't believe the ADEL line requires any external amplification, and a phone is usually sufficient for mobile use. Upgrading to a sub-$100 DAC/amp combo probably won't make a significant difference in the sound.
However, if you do want to get one, keep in mind that the E12A is a standalone amp. A cheaper option (albeit one less portable) would be the E10k (DAC+amp).

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #6,200 of 9,124
Any recommendations for a sub-$100 amp/dac that pairs well with Android and the Adel line?

I realize there's a thread dedicated to sub $100 phone dac/amps. Looking specifically for your opinions, something with good synergy. Would be using it with the Galaxy Note 7.

Was eyeing the Fiio E12A, but not sure if that's the right choice. Price may come down a bit if I keep an eye on it.

I like to eq for more bass so I like the extra power.

I use and suggest the e18. Sound as good as my LG v10 alone. It does introduce some interference but if you turn your phone on airplane mode it goes away. I stock my with a g3 that I don't use as a phone anymore.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #6,201 of 9,124

I use and suggest the e18. Sound as good as my LG v10 alone. It does introduce some interference but if you turn your phone on airplane mode it goes away. I stock my with a g3 that I don't use as a phone anymore.

Yeah the E18 sounds good, though after reading about the new Dragonfly Black for $99, going to try it out. If it's not everything I want it to be I'll go with the E18 or wait for the Fiio A5 (successor to E12/A).

So Dragonfly Black + Note 7 + A6. If anyone wants to know how this combo works out I can write about it. Already wrote a short review on the Note 5 vs Note 7 for audio quality here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile/4035#post_12812759

After listening longer I still agree with the points I made. The Note 7 just lacks energy, depth, and fullness in the sound. It seems like a soda gone flat. I want the Note 7's power, but the Note 5's sound. Picking up the Dragonfly to hopefully alleviate that.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #6,202 of 9,124

The APEX M20 module.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #6,203 of 9,124

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #6,204 of 9,124

For that price range, I would check-out the Encore mDSD which is priced for about the same price as the Dragonfly Black, but has better specs. For the price I think it's great and it occupies a small real estate. Check out this reviewer, who has posted reviews on both (video reviews) and these were his thoughts of the mDSD vs the dragonfly: http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/1485#post_12809235 

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #6,205 of 9,124

Yeah the E18 sounds good, though after reading about the new Dragonfly Black for $99, going to try it out. If it's not everything I want it to be I'll go with the E18 or wait for the Fiio A5 (successor to E12/A).

So Dragonfly Black + Note 7 + A6. If anyone wants to know how this combo works out I can write about it. Already wrote a short review on the Note 5 vs Note 7 for audio quality here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile/4035#post_12812759

After listening longer I still agree with the points I made. The Note 7 just lacks energy, depth, and fullness in the sound. It seems like a soda gone flat. I want the Note 7's power, but the Note 5's sound. Picking up the Dragonfly to hopefully alleviate that.

Either 64udio/ADEL or majority of other multi-BA iems/ciems will not benefit significantly from amping, especially double amping when you amplify sub-par HO of the phone, unless you are looking into a specific amp to color the sound or to take advantage of integrated bass boost.  If you want to take your iems to the next level in terms of sound quality, you definitely want to look into dac/amp combo to improve the resolution of the sound, support higher sampling rates, maybe to expand the soundstage, and to take advantage of external amping with a clean filtering taken outside of your phone shell where everything is cramped and analog/digital circuits are mixed together with poor partitioning (pwb of the phone is just too dense and not enough room for discrete filter caps or proper partitioning and shielding of wireless radios).

I tested a bunch of small usb dacs in the past, they offered advantage when used with my old Note 2, but not as much as with my current Note 4 (and I have no plans to upgrade yet since i perfectly fine with my phone, especially quality of the camera which got worth in N5...).  Where I'm getting at, sub $100 is not going to offer your too much advantage to take you to a noticeably higher next level.  DF is a fine product (original or black or red), but it's leaning toward the smoother warmer side which in my subjective opinion is not the best for U6/U12 (not sure which 64Audio iem you got?) if you want to improve the resolution, layering, and to bring up more details.  Thus, you need to step up in your budget.  I haven't tested it, but heard from a few reviewers whose opinion I trust, and they were very impressed with a slim Opus#11 dac/amp (seen it for $235, converted from GPB), especially how well it integrates natively with Android.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #6,206 of 9,124
Either 64udio/ADEL or majority of other multi-BA iems/ciems will not benefit significantly from amping, especially double amping when you amplify sub-par HO of the phone, unless you are looking into a specific amp to color the sound or to take advantage of integrated bass boost.  If you want to take your iems to the next level in terms of sound quality, you definitely want to look into dac/amp combo to improve the resolution of the sound, support higher sampling rates, maybe to expand the soundstage, and to take advantage of external amping with a clean filtering taken outside of your phone shell where everything is cramped and analog/digital circuits are mixed together with poor partitioning (pwb of the phone is just too dense and not enough room for discrete filter caps or proper partitioning and shielding of wireless radios).

I tested a bunch of small usb dacs in the past, they offered advantage when used with my old Note 2, but not as much as with my current Note 4 (and I have no plans to upgrade yet since i perfectly fine with my phone, especially quality of the camera which got worth in N5...).  Where I'm getting at, sub $100 is not going to offer your too much advantage to take you to a noticeably higher next level.  DF is a fine product (original or black or red), but it's leaning toward the smoother warmer side which in my subjective opinion is not the best for U6/U12 (not sure which 64Audio iem you got?) if you want to improve the resolution, layering, and to bring up more details.  Thus, you need to step up in your budget.  I haven't tested it, but heard from a few reviewers whose opinion I trust, and they were very impressed with a slim Opus#11 dac/amp (seen it for $235, converted from GPB), especially how well it integrates natively with Android.

Thanks for that info twister6. I am not in the market for any dac/amp but nevertheless very useful info :).

On a sidenote, I am enjoying my U8 with the HTC 10 and LGV10. Both are a big step up from the Xperia Z5.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #6,207 of 9,124
  Where I'm getting at, sub $100 is not going to offer your too much advantage to take you to a noticeably higher next level. 

FiiO E17 and DF both go for exactly $100. I've owned a whole range of phones and they E17 is well worth the price tag. Most phones are pretty weak in the low end and their noise floor is just too high, especially for CIEMs like 64Audio A12's. Also, the artifacts you get at low volumes with phones just makes me cry, feels like I'm listening to a 16kbps MP3. The E17 fixes all of the above. In fact, E17 is so good I have 3 of them, one for work, one for home, and one for portable use. Money well spent :D

DF definitely sounds better than E17 in terms of audio quality (pitch black noise floor too) but the way they handle volume control is just not practical. Even at 1/15 volume it's too loud for normal use with a CIEM. I accidentally put my phone at 50% volume and ended up with ringing ears for a minute, panic-ripping out A12's was pretty bad too, lol. I haven't tried 100% but I'm suspecting it'll may actually blow your eardrums - it's insanely loud. The E17 has a built-in volume control in addition to the volume control from the source so you won't have a problem there.

So yeah, IMO dropping $100 to get an external DAC for your phone is definitely worth it.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,208 of 9,124
Most IEMs really don't need an amp like @twister6 said. I've only really noticed a gain in terms of bass power on a few IEMs, but for the most part there's no need for an amp. DAC however is a different story, really every IEM (over like $50) really benefits from a better source/dac. I had Shure SE215s that sounded surprisingly well out of my AK120ii and especially out of Hugo.

Fiio is really king of the entry level DACs, once you go a bit higher up in the price range, Mojo is the all purpose answer (to me anyways). Most Fiios (and the Mojo) will have an amp built into the dac unit as well, being a win-win. If you just slap an amp onto the back of the source, you probably won't notice that drastic of an upgrade (if any), compared to a DAC being placed in that spot.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #6,209 of 9,124

Save your $ and get a chord mojo or similar quality item, although I don't think you'll approach chord quality at the price of a mojo from anyone. Smartphones can be quite good nowadays and I do not think you'd notice much of a difference at $100. Better to save up to the $500- $600 range and get a Mojo IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back