1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Jul 19, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #5,686 of 9,124
There are some easy tricks to matching the impedance of your ears. Vitaliy's video is brilliant.

I use the second method (using your voice)

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #5,687 of 9,124
My MAMs arrived one day early and I've swapped out my S1 for MAM on U12 and have set it to one short of fully open. Wow!!! the airiness and the removal of congestion, the mids opening up and still retaining the bass is just super awesome. U12 needs MAM or definitely something other than S1 (not that S1 is bad). Great job ASIUS!!!

Thanks for your impressions of the MAMS. I've got some on order but it may be awhile. They've gone to Mexico, Maine and they were supposed to go to Mexico the country. Looks like usps needs a geography lesson! I've got the S1 and B1 modules and am curious how the mams allow me to dial in the sound in comparison.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #5,688 of 9,124
People already receiving MAMs from Asius it seems. Think I was one of the first to order, but not even received shipping confirmation yet.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #5,689 of 9,124
  There are some easy tricks to matching the impedance of your ears. Vitaliy's video is brilliant.

I use the second method (using your voice)

I don't find it easy at all.  It's difficult to match it correctly to one's eardrum anatomy using the hum method since every time you touch the module during the adjustment process, it creates a "tapping on a very loud microphone/boom" effect, essentially making it difficult to tell what is going on at all.  To me, the best way to do it is to use the hum method but it took me many many tries to get the correct setting for each ear.  I don't see how setting it to your preference of ambient noise does anything to match it to your ear anatomy.

A tip on the ambient noise method:
- Grey noise videos on youtube make it easier to adjust since the sound is essentially the same throughout the video.

Tip on the humming method:
- Hum the note in the very top of your mouth, at the highest point of your mouth.  A medium to medium-high pitched note is best. 
- Use your fingernails to adjust the modules instead of your fingers because it creates less of a boom effect when adjusting.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #5,690 of 9,124

Mine were shipped. I wonder the difference than with my B1's on my A12.

I was curious if it is easy to match each ear using the dial? Also when you take the IEM out of your ear, is it easy to accidentaly turn the dial and then have to reset it again?

The dial can turn when you take it out and it's put in/out of the case, maybe come up with a system for marking the correct location(number of turns/tape/etc)?  There is a sweet spot where both are matched to each eardrum, some have called it magic, it sounds better than any other module or adjustment across the spectrum IMO.  It's difficult to achieve but you'll know when you have it. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #5,691 of 9,124
I've been using a food dehydrator a couple times a week on my A12's, I have one of the dehydrators with 5 or 6 1-1.5" thick removable trays, stacked vertically.  I cleaned them all thoroughly first, let them dry and then thoroughly cleaned my A12's (both exterior and inside the bores/sound tubes) before placing them in with the thought that as they dried, particles could become airborne and thus pushed further back into the CIEMS.  I then removed the ADEL module's and placed them in their case.  Next I set the fan to the lowest setting and the heat at 100F(5-10 degrees) less than typical hearing aid dehumidifiers.  I also placed the A12's on the 2nd from bottom rack to keep them away from the fan and angled the nozzles away from the light airflow.  I've noticed no ill effects and believe it to be beneficial.  I'm not going to say you shouldn't spend money on a fancy hearing aid dehumidifier, just that this seems to be working fine for me.  It's been 2 weeks now and everything is fine.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #5,692 of 9,124
  I've been using a food dehydrator a couple times a week on my A12's, I have one of the dehydrators with 5 or 6 1-1.5" thick removable trays, stacked vertically.  I cleaned them all thoroughly first, let them dry and then thoroughly cleaned my A12's (both exterior and inside the bores/sound tubes) before placing them in with the thought that as they dried, particles could become airborne and thus pushed further back into the CIEMS.  I then removed the ADEL module's and placed them in their case.  Next I set the fan to the lowest setting and the heat at 100F(5-10 degrees) less than typical hearing aid dehumidifiers.  I also placed the A12's on the 2nd from bottom rack to keep them away from the fan and angled the nozzles away from the light airflow.  I've noticed no ill effects and believe it to be beneficial.  I'm not going to say you shouldn't spend money on a fancy hearing aid dehumidifier, just that this seems to be working fine for me.  It's been 2 weeks now and everything is fine.

I was curious if it is easy to match each ear using the dial? Also when you take the IEM out of your ear, is it easy to accidentaly turn the dial and then have to reset it again?

The dial can turn when you take it out and it's put in/out of the case, maybe come up with a system for marking the correct location(number of turns/tape/etc)?  There is a sweet spot where both are matched to each eardrum, some have called it magic, it sounds better than any other module or adjustment across the spectrum IMO.  It's difficult to achieve but you'll know when you have it. 

Until you touch it, and then back to square one.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5,693 of 9,124
My MAMs arrived one day early and I've swapped out my S1 for MAM on U12 and have set it to one short of fully open. Wow!!! the airiness and the removal of congestion, the mids opening up and still retaining the bass is just super awesome. U12 needs MAM or definitely something other than S1 (not that S1 is bad). Great job ASIUS!!!

If you only have the S1, the open mam will give you a big contrast. I have been using B1 and wonder if anyone trie to compare to the Mam?

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,694 of 9,124

If you only have the S1, the open mam will give you a big contrast. I have been using B1 and wonder if anyone trie to compare to the Mam?

S1/B1/MAM comparisons were included in U6 reviews HERE and HERE.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #5,695 of 9,124

Until you touch it, and then back to square one.

It wouldn't be difficult at all to memorize the number of turns from open or closed to get to the sweet spot for each ciem, after you did it a few times I'm sure it would be memorized.  I know roughly where mine settings area, once I'm in the general area, I just turn slightly forward/back until while humming until I feel like I'm in the right place.  Also when I turn, I start with my palm facing toward the ceiling and end with it facing the floor with both hands, so my turn distances are nearly identical. 

Or you could put a tiny piece of clear tape or something, if you know it's 3 turns, you then turn 3 times and just align the tape and you're there. 

The tension on the knobs aren't incredibly loose by any means.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #5,696 of 9,124

I haven't yet tried matching each ear yet.

Taking the IEM out of ear isn't messing up the settings. If we pull the mam module out of the IEM, then the settings would get shifted.

Thanks Brooko, I used the same video by Vitaliy to configure my mam. That video is awesome.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #5,698 of 9,124
Once you get used to adjusting the MAMs, it just becomes second nature. Sorta like a subtle shift of an IEM in your ear to get the seal just right, that's about how long it takes me. 3-5 seconds tops. Your ear drum tension can tense up or relax, depending on what you're doing. If you have the MAMs dialed in for when you're calm and at home, odds are that when you go for a run and your heartbeat bumps up, you'll probably have to adjust the MAMs a bit. It's really not the plate-on-stick balancing act that people are expecting it to be. There's a slight bit of learning to get used to how you like it, but that's it. 

Obviously anything can be challenging to some people, so your mileage may vary. If you're swapping modules out alot for some reason, then the thumbscrews might get bumped as you wiggle them back & forth. Even then, it's a very quick adjustment. It's because of that and the requiring people to actually listen to the shift to find that sweet spot, that the clickable MAMs didn't see further development. People get hung up on numbers of clicks, regardless of how it actually sounds. OCD is a weird weird creature.

People already receiving MAMs from Asius it seems. Think I was one of the first to order, but not even received shipping confirmation yet.

You're in the UK, pretty sure I remember slapping a UK label on a package before heading out to San Francisco. I'll get an email off to the lab and get back to you ASAP. I don't ever see the order sheets, I build em, test em and package em up. So I can't give you a clear answer to where you are on the list at the moment.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,699 of 9,124

It wouldn't be difficult at all to memorize the number of turns from open or closed to get to the sweet spot for each ciem, after you did it a few times I'm sure it would be memorized.  I know roughly where mine settings area, once I'm in the general area, I just turn slightly forward/back until while humming until I feel like I'm in the right place.  Also when I turn, I start with my palm facing toward the ceiling and end with it facing the floor with both hands, so my turn distances are nearly identical. 

Or you could put a tiny piece of clear tape or something, if you know it's 3 turns, you then turn 3 times and just align the tape and you're there. 

The tension on the knobs aren't incredibly loose by any means.

Just to add, after getting a preferred setting, I hardly ever want to actually change the tuning of the sound (which is wide open). For a while, I was contemplating should I try out the B1 ... but I decided to hold off and use MAM as it is, save the money perhaps for the forthcoming bubble. :p

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #5,700 of 9,124
Just to add, after getting a preferred setting, I hardly ever want to actually change the tuning of the sound (which is wide open). For a while, I was contemplating should I try out the B1 ... but I decided to hold off and use MAM as it is, save the money perhaps for the forthcoming bubble. :p

I presume you have the S1 as I could not order it w/o and buy the MAM and save off the regular price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back