1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 23, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,737 of 9,124
I was originally looking at the V6-S and then at the A3 which are around the same price, but it seems that most people would say that the comfort of the A-Series is much better than the V-Series. Now that there's a Black Friday sale, it's possible for me to bump up to an A4. Would this be a wise choice? I'm not too knowledgeable in regards to sound signature and whatnot, but what I can say is that I listen to a lot of hip-hop, indie and some post-rock as well as a bit of other genres (no classical, though). Could someone advise me on which A-Series would be more suitable for me?

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #2,738 of 9,124
  I was originally looking at the V6-S and then at the A3 which are around the same price, but it seems that most people would say that the comfort of the A-Series is much better than the V-Series. Now that there's a Black Friday sale, it's possible for me to bump up to an A4. Would this be a wise choice? I'm not too knowledgeable in regards to sound signature and whatnot, but what I can say is that I listen to a lot of hip-hop, indie and some post-rock as well as a bit of other genres (no classical, though). Could someone advise me on which A-Series would be more suitable for me?

I have no idea about what I  need to buy coz I have zero experience on headphone. but I would either get an A6 or UERR( if UE announances a big discount tomorrow, but still the tax in CA is hight, 9% kills the deal on UE )

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,739 of 9,124
Looking to get my first pair of CIEM on Friday as part of the BF sale. I'm a bass player and sing and do some engineering too, so looking at the A6. Loved reading all the posts thus far!

Can someone comment on the regular vs recessed sockets? And also the 48" vs 60" cord length? I'm mainly trying to understand pros and cons to help decide which options I should get. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #2,740 of 9,124
@honeygoat

With 1 high, 1 mid, and 1 low driver the A3 has a rather neutral signature, where as the A4 with 1 high, 1 mid, and 2 low drivers has a more bass emphasized signature.

Also, at 12 Ohms the A3 has the lowest impedance of all the 64Audio headphones IIRC (vs. 25 Ohms for the A4).   On the plus side the A3 will need less power to drive to the same volume than the A4 (though neither are at all power hungry).  On the other hand if your amp has some background hiss it will be more noticeable with the more sensitive A3.

With all 64 Audio headphones (as well as most C/IEMs) I would recommend a source (amp, dip, phone) with an output impedance of 1 Ohm or less.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #2,743 of 9,124
  @honeygoat

With 1 high, 1 mid, and 1 low driver the A3 has a rather neutral signature, where as the A4 with 1 high, 1 mid, and 2 low drivers has a more bass emphasized signature.

Also, at 12 Ohms the A3 has the lowest impedance of all the 64Audio headphones IIRC (vs. 25 Ohms for the A4).   On the plus side the A3 will need less power to drive to the same volume than the A4 (though neither are at all power hungry).  On the other hand if your amp has some background hiss it will be more noticeable with the more sensitive A3.

With all 64 Audio headphones (as well as most C/IEMs) I would recommend a source (amp, dip, phone) with an output impedance of 1 Ohm or less.

I am going to get the A6, and would you recommend a good source? I currently use my iPhone5s 16G ( I only have 3G storage left) and only listen pop music, no classic music.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #2,744 of 9,124
  @honeygoat

I'm not too concerned about power. I'm most likely going to get a DAP down the road. How about the V6-S? That one has 2 high, 2 mid and 2 low drivers. I emailed 1964 support and they said that the A-Series will sound better in the end because of the technology but I'm not really sure. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,745 of 9,124
I am going to get the A6, and would you recommend a good source? I currently use my iPhone5s 16G ( I only have 3G storage left) and only listen pop music, no classic music.

Since my commute is only 7 minutes I don't do much listening on the go and won't be of much help if you're looking into portable devices. Both at home and work I have Project Ember amps which sound fantastic with both my V6-Stage and A12. When traveling I use a clip zip in flight and a HRT Microstreamer once at the hotel.

The 64 Audio gear sounds good out of most anything with a low output impedance and improves with the quality of the gear.

New to HRT is the i-dSp, an outboard DAC/amp designed specifically for use with the iPhone that draws much less power (50 mA) than other USB type dac/amps. Though this doesn't solve your storage issue.

I don't think you'll be disappointed straight out of your phone to start. Then going to some meets or borrowing / demoing nicer source gear will be an ear opener.

If you're wanting portable (which I'm sort of guessing) you can look into upgrading to a phone with more storage plus a external dac/amp, or buying a dedicated player like an X5, DX90 or similar. Let me know if a desktop amp and/or Dac are in your future as I can probably be of some help, unlike with the portable gear.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back