1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,191 of 9,124
Got my replacement Adel modules in the mail today! 

They really do have an enormous effect on the sound. There was always something a bit off about the sound of my A6, but now that I have the new modules installed, they sound AMAZING!!!!

Thanks to 1964 for sending them the day after I called, I appreciate the speedy response to customer issues. (I called when it was just about closing time, so the post office would have been closed, hence shipping it next day.)

Now I'll take a few days to listen, then get back with an in depth review of what I think of them. Oh, by the way, the fit is absolutely perfect. Really, really comfy. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,192 of 9,124
So I've been reading this thread for a while now while waiting for my U-4's to arrive. They finally came yesterday, and while I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to TOTL headphones, I think I experienced the same "brain burn in"/actual burn in as was mentioned before. I only had 20 min to test them at first, and I came away with an overwhelming and over powering experience of bassy-ness. Later in the evening, after pulling the ADEL out to look at them closer, I started putting them thru the paces, and for some reason I didn't sense the bass as overwhelming as before! Maybe reseating the ADEL opened them up a bit?

As a drummer and a bass player, I appreciate the thick sound signature, and I think that with the adjustable modules these will be tunable to the level of bass I want. I will say tho...by the end of the evening of listening (after making my way thru pop, jazz, alternative, metal, and classical...oh my goodness, the soundstage on classical pieces!!!....), I ended with rap...then for comparison put on my wife's Beats to compare to see if my perception of bass heaviness was as bad as with Beats. Comparatively, the U-4's didn't really feel as overwhelming on the low end and thin in the middle as when I had first put them on. Obviously, the beats were pure rubbish. But doing a quick a/b comparo left me REALLY liking the U-4 sound! I honestly can't say I feel the same way about the sound signature as when I first put them on.

I then pulled out my old Shure 215's, MEElectronics whatever they're called, and Brainwavz R1 (I told you...I'm a bit of a noob), and immediately did a sonic puke...they were that bad!

Oh, one more thing...Spin Fits made all the difference in comfort and wearability, as well as adding a hair more top end. I'm a believer, if for the comfort fit alone! I feel like they're a bridge between regular silicone and custom mould.

Setup:
64 U-4 straight into iPhone playing AAC apple music
64 U-4 into Myzic amp out of my cheap Technica lp-60 with upgraded stylus kit

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,199 of 9,124
  Does this ADEL technology actually make a difference or is it just marketing? For the price of an A4 I could buy a V8, their previous generation flagship... 

Huge difference. I tried the A6 and V6S at the same meet. I tried the A6 first, and then the V6S. I remember immediately thinking the V6S sounded very closed in when I tried it. The A6 had a clearly better soundstage, similar to a good fullsize headphone. Even with the A4 bass cannon, the soundstage has to be close to the flagship fullsize headphones. It is that good.

I'm not a golden eared audio wizard, so it takes me a bit to get a grasp on the FR, and all the nuances of detail. Though the difference between the soundstage on the V series and the A series was substantial. Enough to immediately recognize.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #2,200 of 9,124

Huge difference. I tried the A6 and V6S at the same meet. I tried the A6 first, and then the V6S. I remember immediately thinking the V6S sounded very closed in when I tried it. The A6 had a clearly better soundstage, similar to a good fullsize headphone. Even with the A4 bass cannon, the soundstage has to be close to the flagship fullsize headphones. It is that good.

I'm not a golden eared audio wizard, so it takes me a bit to get a grasp on the FR, and all the nuances of detail. Though the difference between the soundstage on the V series and the A series was substantial. Enough to immediately recognize.

Guess I'm getting the A4s then. Unless the jump to the A6's is worth it, which I want to ask?

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #2,201 of 9,124
  Guess I'm getting the A4s then. Unless the jump to the A6's is worth it, which I want to ask?

That's up to you, because they both offer a different frequency response. Check the graphs on the 1964 site. I would consider that somewhat accurate of what you would get. The graphs say the A6 has forwards mids with less bass, which it does. The A4 has bass everywhere on everything with recessed mids. 

Your profile doesn't have your current setup listed, so it's hard to give you a good comparison to something you know.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #2,202 of 9,124
With 1 high, 1 mid and 2 bass drivers the A4 signature will have a bass emphasis. With 2 high, 2 mid and 2 bass drivers the A6 will have a more balanced signature.

Pick your flavour.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,203 of 9,124
I was number 15 in the backers list for the entire project, and my U series are due to the UK on tuesday, allegedly. So I'd have thought I'd be the 15th person to get theirs shipped, obviously not.
Hopefully they'll be great. Can't see me buying from this company again, after this escapade. I'd rather pay a little extra next time, and avoid all the drama. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #2,205 of 9,124
  anyone know what the deal is with this adjustable tech? If I order a pair (a12) now will I get it?

A few weeks for the A12 with the auto module, however you won't receive the separate manual adjustable module until a later date when they have fixed/solved their final production..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back