1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Aug 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,967 of 9,124
  I'm still unclear what the differences between the A series and U series are other than U is a universal fit and A is custom. Is everything other than that the same?

I believe the A series is from the company Adel, while the U series is from 1964 featuring a joint venture with Adel and their technology. 

That's probably what this is. 1964 likes the technology and wanted to incorporate it with a new line of IEMs, while Adel wanted to showcase their technology as well as enter the IEM market. They needed 1964's standing and market to do so. 

So you see A series which is purely Adel and then you see the U series from 1964 which has technology featured from Adel. 

Just a guess.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,968 of 9,124
I believe the A series is from the company Adel, while the U series is from 1964 featuring a joint venture with Adel and their technology. 

That's probably what this is. 1964 likes the technology and wanted to incorporate it with a new line of IEMs, while Adel wanted to showcase their technology as well as enter the IEM market. They needed 1964's standing and market to do so. 

So you see A series which is purely Adel and then you see the U series from 1964 which has technology featured from Adel. 

Just a guess.

I think A series is just a custom iem by 1964 with Adel modules while U series is universal version of A series.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,969 of 9,124
I think A series is just a custom iem by 1964 with Adel modules while U series is universal version of A series.

Oh yea, totally. You're right. So it goes like this:

Adel = AMB-12, AMB-8, AMB-2, Control

1964/Adel Universal = U8, U6, U5, U4
1964/Adel CIEM  = A12, A10, A8, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2

All will have the same technology REAL LOUD tech.

For me I think the U6 will be where it's at. I was about to pull the trigger on a V6-Stage, but was told to hold off for just a few weeks because pre-orders are launching soon for all these models. If the U6 features such neat technology and it's similar to the V6-Stage, only with more open...larger sound stage...then I'm sold! Plus it's universal. I'll do CIEM some day after...later down the road.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,970 of 9,124

Just a guess.

Thanks but now for Kickstarter backers you can get a U10 and a U12. I'm really trying to understand what the difference is between the custom A series and the universal U series as far as parts are concerned. I know both have Adel technology but the pricing structure is so different for upgrading. If the parts are the same (other than a custom fit and custom graphics) why the hundreds of dollars difference between the two?

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,971 of 9,124
There is essentially no difference between the U and A series other than one being custom and one being universal.

Adel is a piece of technology, not a company. It was created by a company called Asius technologies which is working with 1964ears. 1964 is the company creating all of the IEM's, whether universal or custom.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,972 of 9,124
Thanks but now for Kickstarter backers you can get a U10 and a U12. I'm really trying to understand what the difference is between the custom A series and the universal U series as far as parts are concerned. I know both have Adel technology but the pricing structure is so different for upgrading. If the parts are the same (other than a custom fit and custom graphics) why the hundreds of dollars difference between the two?

More time and energy (staff costs) are put into custom models. They have to receive ear impressions and then create a mold specifically for those impressions. Universals, on the other hand, are made and shipped out the door. The time and energy is less and therefore, the cost is less.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,973 of 9,124
More time and energy (staff costs) are put into custom models. They have to receive ear impressions and then create a mold specifically for those impressions. Universals, on the other hand, are made and shipped out the door. The time and energy is less and therefore, the cost is less.

Thanks. Now if anyone knows for sure if the parts are the same for the corresponding models? A6=U6, A8=U8, etc. I tried asking 1964 twice and received only vague replies stating they would be almost identical but never received any real information. Maybe no one knows?

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,974 of 9,124

Thanks. Now if anyone knows for sure if the parts are the same for the corresponding models? A6=U6, A8=U8, etc. I tried asking 1964 twice and received only vague replies stating they would be almost identical but never received any real information. Maybe no one knows?

They are identical, however the A series are made of higher quality Acrylic while U series are made of ABS plastic.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,975 of 9,124

I know both have Adel technology but the pricing structure is so different for upgrading. If the parts are the same (other than a custom fit and custom graphics) why the hundreds of dollars difference between the two?

The shell material is also different. The A-series (and basically every 1964EARS CIEM) are made of acrylic, while in the latest Q&A they said that they keep changing the material composition of the U-series. Vitaliy said that the material on the U-series might even be stronger, but that's not tested yet.

We are getting 40% off the U-series but 20% off the A-series, hence the huge price difference. It's technically [$1599 vs $1999] which makes more sense, though I still think the price gap between the 6/8 and 10/12 is too big.
That said, U12 at $959 is a very good deal, A12 at $1200 I consider an even better deal, while the U6 at $480 is the best VFM imo. The A12 at $1600 is not a great deal for 2014 KS backers, since it's possible they'll offer this price when they have a sale. I'm sticking with the U12 since I want their TOTL model 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:
Levanter beat me to it haha

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,976 of 9,124

They are identical, however the A series are made of higher quality Acrylic while U series are made of ABS plastic.

The shell material is also different. The A-series (and basically every 1964EARS CIEM) are made of acrylic, while in the latest Q&A they said that they keep changing the material composition of the U-series. Vitaliy said that the material on the U-series might even be stronger, but that's not tested yet.

We are getting 40% off the U-series but 20% off the A-series, hence the huge price difference. It's technically [$1599 vs $1999] which makes more sense, though I still think the price gap between the 6/8 and 10/12 is too big.
That said, U12 at $959 is a very good deal, A12 at $1200 I consider an even better deal, while the U6 at $480 is the best VFM imo. The A12 at $1600 is not a great deal for 2014 KS backers, since it's possible they'll offer this price when they have a sale. I'm sticking with the U12 since I want their TOTL model 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:

Thanks to both of you. I know the U Series shells are being 3-D printed. I did upgrade from U8 to the U12 but wanted some feedback before tomorrow's deadline.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,978 of 9,124

Thanks to both of you. I know the U Series shells are being 3-D printed. I did upgrade from U8 to the U12 but wanted some feedback before tomorrow's deadline.

Their customs are also 3D printed now (since July or something), that's why you can only choose between black and clear shells with no canal color options. That's another reason why I decided not to go for the A12 now 
smile.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,980 of 9,124

tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:

A12 @ $1200...all of you should be getting A12 immediately, don't even consider the U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back