$189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A
Feb 19, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 63
Seems like a winner!
I am curious to know how it compares to the plethora of other small portable USB DACs. ie: Meridian Explorer, Audio Quest Dragonfly, HRT, etc....

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 63
  Seems like a winner!
I am curious to know how it compares to the plethora of other small portable USB DACs. ie: Meridian Explorer, Audio Quest Dragonfly, HRT, etc....

How do we get the Headphonus Supremus to do a side-by-side of all of these.

Finding myself listening through my PC for hours daily, I'm decidedly in the market.   How to choose? I could farm the stats of all the products mentioned above, and stick'em in a table.  But, I'm not sure I'd know what to make of it all...

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 63
Is this all based on the chipset used?  PCM5102A DAC chip

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 63
It would be nice if we didn't have so many choices to choose from. We all want the best, but every couple of months a new product hits the market with outrages claims.  Sometimes this hobby drives me crazy, but I still find a way to love it. I guess ill wait on the review from the Headphone Gods!!! Standing by for further instructions...sir!

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 63
I'll have mine on Friday.  I've enjoyed the dacs they used in the International and Pan Am, so I'm sure they'll do a good job with this one.

I like the fact that they've aren't using any "source file bit rate" LEDs on this.  That has been a pointless feature in every USB stick I've seen such as the DragonFly, Meridian Explorer, and AudioEngine D3.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 63
Couldn't find on their webpage whether any drivers need to be installed on Windows/Linux/Mac computers to use this. Work has such a strict IT policy that I need a USB DAC that doesn't require a Windows driver...

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 63
  Is this all based on the chipset used?  PCM5102A DAC chip

I'm certainly no expert, but as far as I understand implementation is absolutely key. For example, go to this page (http://centrance.com/products/dacport/) and then click the "Design philosophy" tab.

I have the DACport and consider it my best dac/amp combo, and I have a few TOTL portable amps and dacs (check my profile). If I was in the market for a dedicated USB DAC I'd definitely go for the "DACport LX". Also, the free software ASIO driver works extremely well.

BTW, I have no ties with CEntrance whatsoever.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 63
It looks like it's using the same chip as the C5D
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

I really like the JDS C5D
It's price point amp dac combo

PCM5102A is a great chip so I bet the key will sound great...

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 63
I just received the Alo Audio Key.  One thing that I've noticed is that it definitely can't do double duty as a DAC/amp.  The output impedance would suggest this. At max volume, it can barely provide enough loudness for a Shure 846.

I will be receiving the Duet tomorrow so I can test it as a pure DAC.  I do love what I'm hearing though.  Detail retrieval is exceptional.  

I have mixed feelings about the build quality.  The USB connector cover doesn't securely fit.  Unlike the AudioEngine D3, there is no small cover case which was a really nice touch.  It feels like Alo might have just tossed the chip in a aluminum usb key without any other work.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 63
Some pictures!  I'm glad I have a Mac so I don't need the driver CD.  I do have a PC too with no CD drive and I'm disappointed ALO doesn't have the driver on the website.  I've requested the driver via email.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 63
Thanks for the pictures and early impressions! Please keep them coming!
Have you tried it with HD files?
Not having the driver available for download on their site must be considered professional misconduct. 
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 63
Great impressions! Im a happy owner of the duet and looking for a small computer DAC. Do tell how the two synergize :)

Im still looking for ALO or someone really to make a portable computer USB balanced dac tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back