$189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A
Jan 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #61 of 63
  I just received the Alo Audio Key.  One thing that I've noticed is that it definitely can't do double duty as a DAC/amp.  The output impedance would suggest this. At max volume, it can barely provide enough loudness for a Shure 846.

I will be receiving the Duet tomorrow so I can test it as a pure DAC.  I do love what I'm hearing though.  Detail retrieval is exceptional.  

I have mixed feelings about the build quality.  The USB connector cover doesn't securely fit.  Unlike the AudioEngine D3, there is no small cover case which was a really nice touch.  It feels like Alo might have just tossed the chip in a aluminum usb key without any other work.

But isn't the audio key suppose to be a pure dac with no amp? So how is is possible to get any sound with your 846 plugged in? 

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #62 of 63
I have been enjoying the result of unthinkable synergy with The Key feeding the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon! I find the pairing to be so smooth and engaging without being veiled or too polite. I also like it because it is a true source not an amp/dac so as to be double amping as a result.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #63 of 63
Received my ALO Audio Key 2 weeks ago, I use Mac book pro DVD A (.mpl) -> ALO Audio The Key -> Graham Slee Voyager -> DT880 600 ohms, got to say I got my perfect progressive rock setup (for the price point), Amazingly happy. 

By the war The Key is available in the ALO Audio warehouse deals for only 99$ which I think is a steal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back