$150 to spend on IEM
Oct 7, 2014 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Egaku

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for IEMs in the sub - $150 price range. (my Soundmagic PL-50 died)

I normally use HD600 with Audio-gd's FUN dac/amp. Hopefully someone can recommend an IEM with a similar sound signature.

What I'm looking for in the IEM:

- great highs, mids, lows (in that order)
- must be able to keep up with fast songs
- build quality

I've put together a list of potential IEMs so far:

Vsonic GR07 Classic Edition (about to jump on them)
Hifiman RE-400 Waterline Edition

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 5
I haven't heard the RE-400, but I've listened to other VSonic offerings, which are warm and probably closer to the opposite of what you wanted. The GR07s on the other hand are pretty much right up your alley as it has a totally different sound sig than the cheaper VSonics I've listened to. Havi B3 Pro 1 would also be something to consider on the lower end of your $150 budget. I use Sennheiser HD558s as my desktop daily and I think the Havi's stack up fairly well to those.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hey Head-Fi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for IEMs in the sub - $150 price range. (my Soundmagic PL-50 died)

I normally use HD600 with Audio-gd's FUN dac/amp. Hopefully someone can recommend an IEM with a similar sound signature.

What I'm looking for in the IEM:

- great highs, mids, lows (in that order)
- must be able to keep up with fast songs
- build quality

I've put together a list of potential IEMs so far:

Vsonic GR07 Classic Edition (about to jump on them)
Hifiman RE-400 Waterline Edition

Thanks!

You really can't go wrong with either. 

I have the RE-400 and imo it is at its best when playing acoustic instruments. Not that it isn't also great for metal, hiphip, electronic, etc but it does an unbelievable job of sounding natural. It was subtle at first, but I fell in love with them while listening to Clapton's Unplugged. 

While I never have heard the GR07, I did have the VS1S which was said to be close in sound to the GR07. From this little roundabout experience, I'd imagine the GR07 is a little more sparkly than the RE-400. I especially liked the VS1S for metal and electronic stuff.

As far as build quality, both Vsonic and Hifiman have been concerned me. I, among many others, lost my pair of VS1S when one of the channels went out. Hopefully the GR07 is built better, but you'd best check the GR07 thread for more info.

I've heard similar stories about the RE-400, however they recently redesigned some strain reliefs and it improved their reliability according the hifiman. I own the current model of RE-400 and have been happy with the build and there is a 12 month warranty as well. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 5

You really can't go wrong with either. 

I have the RE-400 and imo it is at its best when playing acoustic instruments. Not that it isn't also great for metal, hiphip, electronic, etc but it does an unbelievable job of sounding natural. It was subtle at first, but I fell in love with them while listening to Clapton's Unplugged. 

While I never have heard the GR07, I did have the VS1S which was said to be close in sound to the GR07. From this little roundabout experience, I'd imagine the GR07 is a little more sparkly than the RE-400. I especially liked the VS1S for metal and electronic stuff.

As far as build quality, both Vsonic and Hifiman have been concerned me. I, among many others, lost my pair of VS1S when one of the channels went out. Hopefully the GR07 is built better, but you'd best check the GR07 thread for more info.

I've heard similar stories about the RE-400, however they recently redesigned some strain reliefs and it improved their reliability according the hifiman. I own the current model of RE-400 and have been happy with the build and there is a 12 month warranty as well. 

I'd think the GR07s are a little bit better built. They look like the exact same build as the GR06s, which I have and had no problems with to this day. But I also feel like I might be more careful with my IEMs than most people so your mileage may vary. The all plastic construction I won't say is the sturdiest, but they're solid enough and the cables VSonic uses have been my favorite so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back