$150 IEMs?
Jan 1, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 39

Quote:
They may have fizzled here a bit but at one time...about a year ago...they were considered the best value around at their sub $150 price point.

I still enjoy mine.

They are very neutral, well-balanced across the spectrum. They isolate fabulously when combined with Shure Olives or Sony Hyrid tips.

And they are BY FAR the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

While my TF10s sound better (and different), I still go for my PFEs when I travel.

Would you consider sacrificing some sound for comfort worth it in this case? Also, have you had any durability issues with either of them? I've read that the TF10 cables have a tendency to break.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 39
Interesting... Is anyone able to explain how these stack up against the dba-02's, ety hf5's, westone 1's, hje900's and/or any other iems in it's price range ($150-200)? Seeing how they're still standard in places like Germany would they be able to keep up? I'm just afraid to buy these and later find out that I could have spent my money better elsewhere.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
Interesting... Is anyone able to explain how these stack up against the dba-02's, ety hf5's, westone 1's, hje900's and/or any other iems in it's price range ($150-200)? Seeing how they're still standard in places like Germany would they be able to keep up? I'm just afraid to buy these and later find out that I could have spent my money better elsewhere.

ljokerl didn't rate the westone 1's very favorably, DBA-02's are really hard to find (out of stock everywhere) hje900's were discontinued recently (in the US) prices have sky rocketed (sort of, $110 used when you could have found them for $90 NIB) ety-hf5's are bass light like all etymotics (they're a bit heavier in bass, but still light in comparison to many others

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
ljokerl didn't rate the westone 1's very favorably, DBA-02's are really hard to find (out of stock everywhere) hje900's were discontinued recently (in the US) prices have sky rocketed (sort of, $110 used when you could have found them for $90 NIB) ety-hf5's are bass light like all etymotics (they're a bit heavier in bass, but still light in comparison to many others

I wasn't planning on buying the hje900's since I already own them, I was just hoping for them to serve as a comparison. As bass is pretty important to me I think it's safe to cross the ety's off my list and as well as the westones. So my question is, should I wait for the dba-02 to become available again or should I just nab the Audeo PFEs?

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't planning on buying the hje900's since I already own them, I was just hoping for them to serve as a comparison. As bass is pretty important to me I think it's safe to cross the ety's off my list and as well as the westones. So my question is, should I wait for the dba-02 to become available again or should I just nab the Audeo PFEs?

if you like the amount of bass coming from the HJE900's, you'll be disappointed with both the PFE's and DBA-02, an alternative could be the perfect bass version of the PFE's

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #23 of 39
As far as I know, the PFEs are still cheaper than the TF10s?

They use to never be in the same price class.

The TF10s are more efficient and the PFEs benefit more from an amp. The TF10s have more of that V-shaped sound while the PFEs have a stronger mid-range and sound more analytical.

At the end of the day, they are different.

In terms of comfort and fit and isolation, the PFEs BLOW the TF10s out of the water.

I use both sets frequently and have had no durability issues in the year that I have had them. Remember, this is referring to the PFE v1s and not the original ones.

Quote:
Quote:
They may have fizzled here a bit but at one time...about a year ago...they were considered the best value around at their sub $150 price point.

I still enjoy mine.

They are very neutral, well-balanced across the spectrum. They isolate fabulously when combined with Shure Olives or Sony Hyrid tips.

While my TF10s sound better (and different), I still go for my PFEs when I travel.

Would you consider sacrificing some sound for comfort worth it in this case? Also, have you had any durability issues with either of them? I've read that the TF10 cables have a tendency to break.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 39
Thanks for all the quick replies guys, this may be a stupid question but do the perfect bass PFE's have the same fit and comfort qualities as the normal PFE's? Also, how much of a difference will an amp make for the PFE's and would a FiiO E5 be sufficient? Thanks again, all of you have been very helpful!

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 39

Quote:
As far as I know, the PFEs are still cheaper than the TF10s?

They use to never be in the same price class.

The TF10s are more efficient and the PFEs benefit more from an amp. The TF10s have more of that V-shaped sound while the PFEs have a stronger mid-range and sound more analytical.

At the end of the day, they are different.

In terms of comfort and fit and isolation, the PFEs BLOW the TF10s out of the water.

I use both sets frequently and have had no durability issues in the year that I have had them. Remember, this is referring to the PFE v1s and not the original ones.

Quote:
Quote:

I still enjoy mine.

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replies guys, this may be a stupid question but do the perfect bass PFE's have the same fit and comfort qualities as the normal PFE's? Also, how much of a difference will an amp make for the PFE's and would a FiiO E5 be sufficient? Thanks again, all of you have been very helpful!

housing looks identical to me, most people consider the fiio e5 as nothing more than a volume booster and if the audeo's are like most other IEMs, they do not need a volume boost

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
housing looks identical to me, most people consider the fiio e5 as nothing more than a volume booster and if the audeo's are like most other IEMs, they do not need a volume boost

Alright great, looks like I'll be purchasing the Audeo's soon. If anyone has any last-minute suggestions by all means, speak up. Thank you everyone who have replied to my posts as you've all been a big help!

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
Quote:

Alright great, looks like I'll be purchasing the Audeo's soon. If anyone has any last-minute suggestions by all means, speak up. Thank you everyone who have replied to my posts as you've all been a big help!

I would still reccommend the TF10's, for $140-150 they're a great deal

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #29 of 39
For a reference, I use the small ety triple flange tips on my etys as I have smaller ears. I have no problem with fit or isolation with the TF10s using the medium comply foams that came with them. I think the big ordeal about the fit on the TF10s is a little overdone. Also, no problem with cables but I keep mine in a case and don't throw them around in a bag or anything.

For the price, the TF10s are hard to beat.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
the TF10's large housing is what frightens me the most as I'm afraid it might lead to discomfort and look strange.

you will look sorta strange, but my friends don't mind/seem to care anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back