$150 IEMs?
Dec 31, 2010 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

HungryHippo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I think it's time for me to get new IEMs and I'm curious to know as to which ones you would recommend. My budget is $150 but I'm willing to go up to $200 if the phones seem worth it. I have a wide range of music that I like to listen to and I must say that I LOVE the sound the ATH-M50's. However, it's simply not practical to walk around with them. I have considered the UE TF10's but after hearing that their cord is of poor quality I figured I can find something else. I've also looked at the DBA-02's but I don't really like their design. Oh and lastly, I don't use an amp and dont plan on buying one so it's important that the earphones sound good unamped as well. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 39
I don't think he is.  Many here regard the Turbines as good IEM's, regardless of Monster's usual reputation.  

On another note, I'm looking for decent 150 dollar IEM's so I will likely be monitoring this thread.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 39
You can buy a replacement cord for the triple.fi and still get in between $150 and $200. I've never heard the ATH-M50s so no idea about sound signatures but I really like the Sennheiser IE7 if you're looking for a dynamic.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 39
The monster turbine line is actually pretty good(from what I've read)... The rest of the monster line is meh. The turbines are $40 refurbished on the monster site. I can't remember the URL though.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
Hmm for $40 I might consider them as a backup pair but I was hoping maybe I can find something a little better. Has any1 ever listened to the Munitio Teknines? I read about them in another thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528553/dba-02-vs-munitio-teknines/30.

I honestly can't recommend the Teknines at this time unless you want massive boomy bass.  Last night they made me laugh for the first song then gave me a migraine the rest of the evening.  They made my Monster MD bass sound neutral in comparison.  If you don't plan to EQ I wouldn't bother.  For the money there are better alternatives for SQ.  They are about a step away from turning into a 'project' IEM for me.  

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm for $40 I might consider them as a backup pair but I was hoping maybe I can find something a little better. Has any1 ever listened to the Munitio Teknines? I read about them in another thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528553/dba-02-vs-munitio-teknines/30.

I honestly can't recommend the Teknines at this time unless you want massive boomy bass.  Last night they made me laugh for the first song then gave me a migraine the rest of the evening.  They made my Monster MD bass sound neutral in comparison.  If you don't plan to EQ I wouldn't bother.  For the money there are better alternatives for SQ.  They are about a step away from turning into a 'project' IEM for me.  

Hmm, how do they compare to your dba-02's? Although I do enjoy bass and I can EQ, the migraine seems very discouraging. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 39

Quote:

Hmm, how do they compare to your dba-02's? Although I do enjoy bass and I can EQ, the migraine seems very discouraging. 

Totally different signatures.  W/ the exception of bass, DBA smokes the teknines every which way.  The bass quality is better on the DBA too w/ the exception of quantity and sub bass.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 39

Totally different signatures.  W/ the exception of bass, DBA smokes the teknines every which way.  The bass quality is better on the DBA too w/ the exception of quantity and sub bass.

Haha I had my mind set on the teknines until now. It's a shame that the DBA-02's are so hard to buy. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 39
Has anyone listen to the Phonak Audeo PFE's? They don't seem that popular around here but from what I've read they aren't bad. Is there any particular reason no one has already suggested them or are they just unpopular?

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
Has anyone listen to the Phonak Audeo PFE's? They don't seem that popular around here but from what I've read they aren't bad. Is there any particular reason no one has already suggested them or are they just unpopular?

They may have fizzled here a bit but at one time...about a year ago...they were considered the best value around at their sub $150 price point.

I still enjoy mine.

They are very neutral, well-balanced across the spectrum. They isolate fabulously when combined with Shure Olives or Sony Hyrid tips.

And they are BY FAR the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

While my TF10s sound better (and different), I still go for my PFEs when I travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back