1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

<$150 IEM: HF3/HF5 vs ?

?

What's the best IEM under $150 for my needs?

1. HF3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HF5 (use phone mic for comms)

100.0%
  3. Other (please specify what and why in post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tigwd
    Warm greetings and thanks in advance all. Experienced Etymotic HF3/HF5 listeners, can you recommend a better <$150 IEM for my needs?

USES
    1. communications: using Zello (a walkie talkie app) with my photo/video crew shooting weddings and sports
    2. mixing/mastering: for getting another perspective on mixes
    3. monitoring audio: backup to DT-1350 for monitoring cameras and field recorders
    4. music listening: 30% classical, 30% jazz, 15% alt/rock/metal, 15% hip-hop/electronic, 10% eclectic other

PREFERENCES
    • analytical vs musical: analytical—I want to hear details, including nasty ones that warrant fixing
    • flat vs fun: flat—preferably extending to [but not hyping] deep bass
    • open vs isolating: isolating—need clarity in loud environments
    • soundstage: unimportant to me

NOTES
    • will be used alongside Beyerdynamic DT-1350, Sennheiser HD558, and JBL LSR305/308 w/LSR310S (TBD pending room treatment)
    • I'd love to get DT-1350 sound in IEMs, but a different perspective would be useful too. I'm prepared to spend a lot of time ear training.
    • previously owned Etymotic ER-6i and found the bass lacking, but if experts judge that appropriate for my use so be it
    • if I get an IEM without a mic, I'll be using my Samsung Galaxy J3's built-in mic for communication

Sincere thanks! Pending feedback I'm heading for HF3.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017